• Latest reply 2 years ago by wrkey
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KIMG0784.JPG
#1 2 years ago

This is on a Super Orbit. I have installed a new Swemmer board and replaced the MPU/Driver wired connectors with new. I have validated continuity from switch matrix connector to first point on MPU board. System has Rottendog power supply board and all voltages are good. The tilt relay does not turn on. The displays all have the appropriate power, just display 1 and 3 are being used.

The system boots consistently with a "1" in the 10s position on Display 1 and 3. When I turn off the machine all the displays flash all zeros for a short burst so I'm pretty sure they are good.

I have checked for shorted 74## chips tied to the switch matrix and they are all good. I have validated the correct diode reading between the switch matrix strobes and returns.

Anyone know the boot up sequence and what this 1 means?

Rusty

#2 2 years ago

Are the displays off for about 5 seconds and then they come on or instantly?

Does this board use switches to choose the game? Can you take a pic of those?

#3 2 years ago

Display shows a 1 instantly. Here are the dip switches. There is a specific game ROM on the board so the switches do not select it.

KIMG0784.JPGKIMG0784.JPG
#4 2 years ago

You probably need to contact Swemmer to troubleshoot. I don't know if the Swemmer have the 5 second delay before they start but that indicates a slam tilt in a regular board. Is there a slam tilt bypass option on this board?

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

You probably need to contact Swemmer to troubleshoot. I don't know if the Swemmer have the 5 second delay before they start but that indicates a slam tilt in a regular board. Is there a slam tilt bypass option on this board?

Swemmers are about as close to gottlieb boards you can get (nvram circuit is different), so system 80 have 5 second delay, 80a comes on instantly just like original games

I forget if they have the slam tilt bypass though

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Swemmers are about as close to gottlieb boards you can get (nvram circuit is different), so system 80 have 5 second delay, 80a comes on instantly just like original games
I forget if they have the slam tilt bypass though

In that case I'd reboot with both switch connectors disconnected and see if there is a change

#7 2 years ago

If I unplug A1-J5 I get all zeros in all displays.

I tested continuity on the slam switch back to the board and it was good. I soldered the slam switch override points together just to rule it out or in. With the slam switch points soldered together and the all the plugs back in, I still get 1 in the displays.

#8 2 years ago

OK with your connectors reattached can you enter test mode? does pressing the test button make anything happen in the credit display.

Looking at the service manual one of the things to check for an immediate boot is to make sure the coil lockout wireform is not grounding the coin chute switches and make sure A1-J5 has good tension and making a good connection

1 month later
#9 2 years ago

After a month long bout with Covid and her ugly step-sister Pneumonia, I am back to work again.

To continue from the last post... with all the connections made test mode button makes no change. The test button is working properly. I tested both sides of the coin lockout coil to ground of the door and there is no continuity. A1-J5 was verified to be making good contact and continuity validated through to component on board. I also tested the connection of A1-J6 just for giggles and it tested good to board components.

Could a bad sound board create this issue? Is there somewhere I can look at the code (I'm a programmer by career) so maybe I can figure out what is making the 1 show up consistantly?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-80a-no-boot-displays-1-in-10-s-position and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.