• Latest reply 7 years ago by xeneize
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DataSheet_(resized).jpg
IMG_3480_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blownfuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 8 years ago

Did you verify that the CPU sees all switches closed and assigns them their correct #, or did you just see the "99" and not know there was more to the switch test?

Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

#28 8 years ago

Yeah, I went back through your thread and looked closer, then modified my post to omit everything but the switch test question. I hoped I would correct this before you found it but I was too slow.

Most forget or don't realize that there's more to the switch test. In switch test 18, when all the switches are open, you'll see a "99" in the credit window. Then, you can test each switch by closing it and see if the CPU sees them as closed and assigns them the right number. I've seen a game boot to attract mode but go wonky during game play and then lock up because the game saw two sets of strobe 4 lines and no strobe 5 (for example). So, I always verify that the switch assigned numbers match the numbers the CPU assigns the switch that's being tested. It may be nothing in the case of your game but it's worth a look. I wish you had another working CPU board to test with since it's still possible that the CPU is having logic issues. Still ... replacing a transistor isn't difficult either.

Steve

Quoted from xeneize:

Now, THIS is interesting. I struggled for days to clear all the switch errors (numbers of stuck switches) as the ten point circuit was giving me fits. So, now when I get a "99" in switch test, I thought that meant that everything "passes". Is there more that I need to test?
I still wonder if replacing the Q48 transistor will fix my issue, as the relay is always on and seems to simply not "know" when to turn off.

#29 8 years ago

Nothing to see here. Dummy clicks send instead of close.

#32 8 years ago

I would think this indicates that you have a CPU logic issue that's keeping the A relay driver transistor turned on. If you had a working CPU board to swap into your game you'd be able eliminate it as the cause.

I'm going to go under the assumption that the new boards operate the same as original one's do since I've never needed to buy a new one.

A shot in the dark question; have you replaced your A1J4 to A3J1 connector or if not, looked at it for bad/broken or alkaline damaged bifurcon connections? If you are running a new connector too, this next part will be of no help. IIRC, if there's a communication break between the CPU and driver board (A1J4-P to A3J1-P or A1J4-5 to A3J1-5), transistors (Q48 included) can get locked on. Since you have no way to play the game yet, are there other LD4 controlled or Z12 driver transistors locking lights on? This could be an indicator of a bad/broken connection.

Steve

#35 8 years ago

Sorry I jumped into the thread so late, we could have stumbled onto your answer sooner. I usually steer clear of replacement aftermarket board threads but your problem didn't make any sense to me and got me curious. At least now you can play the game, good detective work.

Steve

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blownfuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-80-timeline-a-relay-always-energized?tu=blownfuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.