Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4 Square pop bumper coils (resized).jpg
IMG_1179 (resized).jpg
IMG_1174 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hi guys,
I am still troubleshooting why my pinball machine tilts as soon as the ball hits a pop up bumper. I took the playfield off so that I could get a better look. I see that one of the bumper solenoids is burned pretty bad (see pics). Since there is no manual available, I am not sure what the part number is. Does anyone know? I think if I replace it, it should stop tilting, but it's a guess and I am new to all this. I appreciate any tips.
Thanks!

IMG_1174 (resized).jpgIMG_1174 (resized).jpgIMG_1179 (resized).jpgIMG_1179 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Cut the single wire going to the tab on that solenoid. If game no longer tilts, you verified your problem. Get coil number off of another bumper coil or the schematic or from a Gottlieb Parts Catalog.

Or call Pinball Resource to buy one.

#3 5 years ago

Thanks! I have a parts catalog, but there are many solenoids and the Gottlieb catalog doesn't specify which one you need for each machine. Mine is so badly burned I don't think I will see a number. Even the other doesn't appear to have a number on it.

#4 5 years ago

4 Square calls for A-4893 coils for the pop bumpers:
4 Square pop bumper coils (resized).jpg4 Square pop bumper coils (resized).jpg
If you order a new one, you'll probably want a new coil sleeve and possibly a new coil stop, a metal and/or fibre yoke, etc.

/Mark

#5 5 years ago

Looks to me like the tilt switch blade with the round weight on it is touching the tab on the centre pop bumper ? I dont think a heated coil would cause a tilt. If the pop bumper still fires just replace the sleeve

#6 5 years ago

@markg Thanks for the detailed information. I have a parts manual and I thought it might be the 4893 coil. I really appreciate you confirming that. I will see if I can find the parts that go with it now that I can figure out which diagram has the 4893 and all associated parts. It is fun learning all about this.

@Paja Thanks for responding. It is not touching anything, it may just be the angle of the picture. I agree, it doesn't seem logical to me, but the bumper with the burnt coil seems locked, so I think it really needs replacing anyway. The other ones are attached to rods that move up and down.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-4-square-bumper-coil-solenoid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.