Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0524181857 (resized).jpg
0524181857a (resized).jpg
0524181858 (resized).jpg
0524181859 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I recently began work on repairing a 1971 Gottlieb 4 Square. I've done a lot of the basic repairs needed, including flipper rebuilds, replacement of all of the rubbers, and most recently replaced the flipper and alternating relay coils.

My machine has developed a new problem, where when the ones counter needs to cycle over from 9 to 0, the 10s relay gets stuck energized. This causes the score reel to stick, as well as the 0-9 step unit to stay stuck energized as well. I have been able to release the relay by manually turning the back spinner on the 0-9 unit. Once I turn it, operation continues as normal until the ones counter needs to cycle over again.

The switches on the ones score reel appear to match the correct state for 9 while the machine is stuck energized, and then properly reset to the 0 state once I un-stick the step unit. The step unit is able to move freely otherwise for all other steps, and the alternating relay is still working correctly as well. The plunger in the 0-9 step unit is a little loose because the nylon ring that holds it is worn. In order to prevent the plunger from falling out of the coil, I had to adjust the coil down within the step unit. There does not appear to be any mechanical problem in the step unit since it is able to step regularly most of the time.

I do have a full schematic for the machine.

Any ideas what may be causing the relay to stay energized?

Thanks,

#2 5 years ago

Check Clay's superb guide for info about reels and steppers: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1

#3 5 years ago

Hi mk85 welcome to pinside.
I'll need to see a high quality scan of the schematic from e.g. Staples ($2) or Kinkos ($6)

#4 5 years ago

I have attached a few sections of the schematic, including the relevant relays, and the runouts. Relay K is the 1000 points, L is 100 point, M is 10 point, and N is 1 point.

I do see that the switch for the on add "tens" units has an extra cross through it. I know the previous owner had done some aftermarket changes (as you can see on the last picture they hotwired the coin return button to reset the game.

I also know that at one point the plunger was missing entirely from the 0-9 step unit, but i don't know if that contributed to any of these issues.

0524181859 (resized).jpg0524181859 (resized).jpg

0524181858 (resized).jpg0524181858 (resized).jpg

0524181857a (resized).jpg0524181857a (resized).jpg

0524181857 (resized).jpg0524181857 (resized).jpg

#5 5 years ago

I also just noticed that sometimes when you score something that should be 1 point, it rings up as 11 points instead. Also when you should score 50, it keeps scoring 52 or 53. I have a sneaking suspicion that these are related.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from mk85:

I also just noticed that sometimes when you score something that should be 1 point, it rings up as 11 points instead. Also when you should score 50, it keeps scoring 52 or 53. I have a sneaking suspicion that these are related.

1 scoring as 11 is because the 9th position switch on the 1 Point score reel is stuck, shorted, or always closed.

#7 5 years ago

So I looked a little closer, and it is only 1 scoring as 11 on every other hit. It seems like the lockup is happening when it tries to turn both reels at the same time.

Example from hitting just a bumper that should score 1 with game starting at 0:
0 -> 1 -> 12 -> 13 -> 25 -> 26 -> 37 -> 38 -> 49 -> lockup (because its trying to double-turn the 10s digit from 4 to 6 with a single signal)

It seems like maybe there is a short on the alternating relay?

#8 5 years ago

It was in fact a short on the alternating relay. I found a switch that was stuck closed when it should have been open.

The machine still doesn't trip the alternating relay maybe 1 in 20 hits, but I think that may be just the quirk of an old EM machine....not sure if that will be fixable.

#9 5 years ago

Do you have the alternating relay (is it 'A'?) section of the schematic?

#10 5 years ago

Yeah, A is the alternating relay. The one time i really noticed it not alternating was when I hit the 100 pop bumper when it was already activated. In those cases, the 100 bumper just stays active.

I am still trying to figure out if there is any other pattern.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-4-square-10s-relay-sticks-periodically and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.