• Latest reply 9 years ago by Slim64
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

176696.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Let me first say how much I enjoy reading reply's on this forum. I am a newbie to EM games and really need some help.
I purchased a Gottlieb 300 game in non working condition. The score motor would run all the time and the playfield would not lite up. After some reading on this site, I looked into the AX relay and found where someone was messing with it. I fixed the relay be adjusting the points and was able to get the score motor to reset the score and stop rotating. My issue now is a couple things. When I re set the game, the score motor will go through it's cycle but when it stops, I get a buzzing from the AX relay. It's like the score motor over rotates enough to energize the AX relay. Can someone help me understand what is making the score motor over rotate, causing this issue or is the motor not over rotating and I have an issue some where else? I can reset the machine after initial start up and the score motor stops correctly, no noise from the AX relay.
Second issue is after the last ball is played. I loose all functions of the game. I have to manually rotate the score motor to get the game to re set. I'm lost and need some help, was planning on giving this machine to my two children for Christmas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 9 years ago

So I have been working with this machine all day. At this point, the reset button on the coin door will not function, I can start the game by tripping the start relay though. But, once I trip the start relay, the reset button will then function. I can play a game until draining my last ball. After the last ball is played, I loose the playing field. I believe the tilt lite is illuminated also, have to double check. I love working on this machine, I could just use some guidance to help me go in the right direction.

#3 9 years ago

Do you have the schematic?

#4 9 years ago

Also, instead of the replay button, have you tried the left or right coin chute switches? (They bypass some of the logic that the replay button path includes on the way to the Start relay.)

#5 9 years ago

I have the game working great other than it will not let me replay after the last ball has drained. My playfield lights work, but no flippers or anything else. I have ran it through 1 to 4 players, after the last ball on the 4th player it's done until I manually restart it at the start relay. I tried the coin switches, same thing as the replay button. Only thing that will get it back on is tripping the start relay.
I ordered a wire schematic yesterday, should have it tomorrow afternoon.

#6 9 years ago

OK, so if the coin chute switches don't work, but tripping the Start relay does (and assuming the Start relay locks on), then that would narrow things down to either a normally closed switch at score motor position 1C or a normally closed switch on AX.

#7 9 years ago

All of the contacts have been cleaned on 1c of the score motor and are making a good connection, same goes with the AX relay. Any other things you can have me look at? Please understand how grateful I am for your help!

#8 9 years ago

If the AX relay is in the backbox, then there's also a jones plug the signal has to go through. That could need cleaning, or have a loose wire. So that would be another place to check.

The lock-in path for the Start relay has to pass through everything else in the logic path 'behind' the motor 1C switch, so if the Start relay is working when manually activated, then that part of the path must be working.

There are two paths 'after' the AX switch; one goes through the Replay button, and the other goes through the coin chute switches. Since neither of those work, then that's why it has to be between the AX and motor 1C switches. Or the jones plug, if AX is in the backbox and not on the bottom cabinet board.

#9 9 years ago

Not sure if this helps, but I can trip the AX relay OR the start relay and get the score motor to reset. One thing I notice is when the score motor resets to it's home position, it rotates far enough to trip the 1C motor switch, this makes the AX relay buzz. Not sure if this buzzing is normal? I wouldn't think so because it's pretty loud.

#10 9 years ago

No, the AX relay shouldn't be energized or buzzing. It's an interlock style relay, so when activated, it latches closed and de-energizes. Then when the reset is complete, the AXR coil fires (AX Reset), which unlatches AX.

Which of the two coils is buzzing/active?

Score motor switch 1C is normally closed anyway (when the motor is at the home position, which is when position 1 is in the cam 'notch'.

So loud buzzing from AX (or AXR) is a problem, and that needs to be debugged. Need to know which of the two coils it is first though.

#11 9 years ago

It's the lower latch coil that is buzzing. From what I am seeing, the score motor slightly over rotates, causing the issue.

#12 9 years ago

The problem is that motor switch 1C isn't in the path to AX or AXR (typically - at least not on similar era games for which I have schematics). And to activate AX, it requires a motor switch (like 2C), a switch on the Start relay (so S needs to be active), and possibly one more switch (depending on the game). So one score motor switch alone shouldn't trip AX.

And AXR requires two motor switches to be close (although both on at position 1).

Is the motor brake switch blade present? (single blade with a curve on the end, no wires attached, at position 3 1/2.)

By "lower latch coil" I'm interpreting that as being the AX Reset coil (the coil that would unlatch AX). A picture of which one you mean would be helpful though.

#13 9 years ago

Yes you are correct, it is the unlatch coil on AX. The brake switch blade is attached. Would a video of the motor resetting be helpful?

#14 9 years ago

Sure, we like videos.

If both 1A and 1D switches are able to close, then yes, the AXR coil could be activating.

A drop of 3-1 oil in the oiling pad on the score motor (topside pad and underneath) may help. (Just ONE drop per pad.)

#16 9 years ago

This site will not let me post a video since I have only been a member for 2 days. Any way around this?
Yes, 1A and 1D are closing after the motor resets. I do not believe the motor needs oiling from what I see. What tells the score motor when to stop? Is there an adjustment somewhere?

#17 9 years ago

^^^

post it on youtube and give us the link...

#18 9 years ago

The motor stops whenever all of the switches the feed it open (most or normally open, so usually only one or two are closed at a time to run the motor). Candidates typically include a switch on the Start relay, AX, and the home position switch at motor 1C. (If 1C isn't opening soon enough, it might be a cause.)

But the oil is for letting the motor clutch spin (not the motor itself), and if it's not able to well enough, the motor can also miss the stop at home. When the pads are dried out, this often doesn't work very well.

#19 9 years ago

Just checked the motor clutch and it is oiled, maybe to much by someone. It does work freely though. To be clear, please forgive me for being a newb sorry, it is the switch at 1D that is energizing the AX relay causing the buzz. I know this because I can break contact at 1D and the buzzing stops at AX. Still baffled as to why this score motor over runs home slightly. It will over run until switch 4A runs past it's tooth on the score motor.

#20 9 years ago

The clutch itself may have oil on it, but I'm only referring to the pads (to see the one on the bottom of the score motor, it needs to be flipped up and over a bit, and the one on top is covered by the cam, but there's an access hole when things line up).

Anyway, can you post a couple pictures of the 1D switch stack, both in the non-home and home positions, and also when it's in this 'overrun' position? That position is the level above the top cam, so will be activated by a post.

Switch 1D alone won't activate AXR; there's one other motor switch needed (could be 4A instead of 1A, as I'm not looking at a '300' schematic). But opening either one will deactivate AXR.

#21 9 years ago

O.K, I worked on this thing all weekend. Cleaned and adjusted all contacts and it WORKS! But, I'm stumped on the machines last issue. After you drain your last ball, the 4th player light will come on and the score motor will continue to rotate and the playfield lights will blink off and on. I have l looked at the last ball relay, game over relay, can't seem to find anything wrong. This happens in 1,2,3 and 4 player games, not just one player. I sure could use some guidance getting this last bug fixed, I'm pulling my hair out.

#22 9 years ago

Great advice and patience Dirtflipper. You are to be commended. Looking forward to a YT video hopefully. I have a 300 and it's my wife's favorite pin. If I can chime in to help I will.

#23 9 years ago

Is it stepping correctly through the player and ball counts? So if it starts on Player 1/Ball 1, after the ball drains, the Player Unit should step four times to reach Player 1/Ball 2 (on a one-player game). Then after the last ball drains, it should still step four times to reach Game Over.

On a four-player game, the Player Unit should step only once after each ball drains.

One thing to try is to just manually step the Player Unit to see if it can reach the Game Over state correctly. After starting a game, once the ball is at the plunger and the Player Unit is at Player 1/Ball 1, then manually step the plunger and watch it cycle through all player/ball counts, and then reach Game Over. If that works, then that indicates the Add Player Unit path is missing a step; if that doesn't work, then need to investigate a possible alignment issue on the Player Unit.

#24 9 years ago

Yes, It will step through all 4 players during a 4 player game perfectly. After the last ball on the 4th player the score motor will continue to run. On 1,2 or 3 player games, after the last ball is drained, the 4th player light will come on and score motor rotates continuously.

#25 9 years ago

At that point, if you manually step the Player Unit, does the score motor then stop and the game reach Game Over?

#26 9 years ago

Also, does the Last Ball relay activate, and does the Game Over relay activate?

#27 9 years ago

I moved the player unit manually and the score motor continues to rotate. The last ball relay and the game over relay will open and close continuously while the score motor rotates. I can push down on the game over relay and stop the game but when I pull my finger off it continues to cycle.

#28 9 years ago

Is the Ball Return relay ('O') staying active too?

Sounds like the game over state is being reached (since Last Ball and Game Over relays are cycling), but something is keeping the score motor running (obviously, and shouldn't).

So, need to work through the list of things that can run the score motor. On your schematic you'll find the score motor symbol ('M' inside a circle), and reading left to right you'll see all the switches (most in parallel) that when closed, cause the motor to run.

#29 9 years ago

I fixed it! It was the game over relay. One set of points did not have enough contact pressure. DirtFlipper, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. This machine will make two children very happy on Christmas morning

#30 9 years ago

Outstanding! Congrats on hunting it down.

#31 9 years ago

Way to go guys!! Dirt Flipper I have to say I'm extremely impressed!

#32 9 years ago

Very cool another Gottlieb classic up and running!

#33 9 years ago

There is some great info in this thread.
I just picked a cheap 300 that is having similar issues and following the same methodology I have the game playing and scoring but it doesn't seem to recognize when the ball hits the outhole. I can manually flip it into the shooting lane and it changes the ball in play but it will basically do that infinitely so obviously there is still an issue or two.
Also if I get the ball in the "mystery bonus" kick-out it will run the bonus balls forever and I noticed the "match numbers" are scrolling at the same time. This is my first Gottlieb and the schematics seem a bit harder to read but I have to dig into it a bit more, unfortunately it will have to wait until after the holidays. (unless somebody has a magic solution )

2 weeks later
#34 9 years ago

I have had this machine working perfectly since Christmas That is until today. For those out there with a 300, I am having issues with the bonus balls counting down. On occasions, it will not count down all the bonus balls. When the next player drains his ball, he will get the bonus balls of the first player. Some times after the last ball, it will not count down any bonus balls. What relay triggers the bonus ball count down? This machine has been the biggest hit in our family, we play it every day and I am determined to keep it playing correctly, that is with all of your help lol.

#35 9 years ago

I have a Top Score (2 player version) and have been working off and on for a while now on the same or similar problems. First issue I had was the bonus balls were being kicked back and double counting bonuses or not counting them at all and being left for the next player/ball. I found that there is a wire catch that was stuck up and wasn't preventing balls from being kicked up the channel. The next problem was bonus balls were not being added (random bonus kick out) or subtracted (drain and add bonus kick out). I traced it back to the add bonus delay relay. A normally closed contact that isn't releasing. I replaced the capacitor in the add bonus delay circuit which didn't help. This is on a removable circuit board with a diode. If I remove it (circuit board) the machine will play fine except there's no delay which only comes into play every now and then. You may want to try that. Also clean the add bonus relay contact and the 500 point/add bonus relay contacts. I just purchased some jumper wires so I can hook my meter up to the add bonus delay relay and check solenoid voltage during play through the coin door.

#36 9 years ago

Don't forget to check the switch in the trough that tells the machine it has bonus balls to count.

#37 9 years ago

On a side note, here is a pic of the bonus ball assembly.176696.jpg176696.jpg

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

Don't forget to check the switch in the trough that tells the machine it has bonus balls to count.

This is what was causing my bonus balls to miss-count. Look at the trough itself too. mine needed to be bent the TINIEST amount back away from the back glass so the balls could run down the trough like they should. Previously they had been leaning against the glass, and would NOT TOUCH the switch in the trough, until the next ball/player added another ball into the trough and it kicked everything loose.

#39 9 years ago

Slim64, That is what the issue was. One of the two wires on the switch had broke. Once I soldered the wire back in place, all is good! Thanks for the help!

#40 9 years ago

Glad you figured it out!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-300-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.