SpinnerWeight (resized).jpg
DDE6AE70-8135-40CD-A7C6-BF94BBA54DA6 (resized).jpeg
FF67A9FF-2D28-4C32-8916-3275A0D07095 (resized).jpeg
00157DEB-3D97-435E-85D4-DC7F2FE032D3 (resized).jpeg
35362113-FA63-428D-A1C3-CF7DFCC57950 (resized).jpeg
_25 (resized).jpg
middle (resized).JPG
inside front (resized).JPG

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

Here's a space to talk about Gottlieb's 1975 EM games "300" (4 player) and Top Score (2 player)! ...and go...

A couple game design tidbits I have found over the years from working on my "300": the back box animation is the same as Soccer and the right bagatelle lane is similar to Atlantis from the same era.

What's unique about your machine?

#2 6 years ago

Really like this game. I played this with my friends at Pinburgh the last couple of years. Growing up, I used to play 300 (or Top Score not sure) in my neighbors garage. Been looking for one for a while now.

#3 6 years ago

It was my first purchase getting into the hobby.

It'll never be sold

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

It'll never be sold

Me too!

#5 6 years ago

This will be my 1st EM machine that will stay in my personal collection. My wife & I both love this one. Looking for either, 300 or Top Score.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

This will be my 1st EM machine that will stay in my personal collection. My wife & I both love this one. Looking for either, 300 or Top Score.

They seem to come up in our area somewhat regularly

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

It'll never be sold

This is my first purchase too! I'm currently doing a playfield restoration and plan to do some cabinet work.

#8 6 years ago

What about the 1 player wedge head version of this called Champion,its from Italy made by Nordamatic, but uses Gottlieb parts. I have it. May I chime in on this thread also?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from gentrsa:

What about the 1 player wedge head version of this called Champion,its from Italy made by Nordamatic, but uses Gottlieb parts. I have it. May I chime in on this thread also?

Playfield is quite different

#10 6 years ago

My first pin was and is Top Score. It was my goal to have one since when I was a teen when it was at the local pizza joint. I paid a bit too much for the condition, but it plays fast and is very clean now and reliable. I separated the two pops with an extra relay to improve the action. Love this pin and will never sell.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Playfield is quite different

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from gentrsa:

The more the merrier!

#13 6 years ago

Very cool. Lots of elements used from 300/top score but still different

#14 6 years ago

Best game that I own to throw down a few dollars on the glass for some friendly competition. Being able to cash in on the bonus during gameplay (to do all over again) is addictive. And double bonus on last ball for those come-from-behind victories!

Even has the delay during the bonus countdown so you can do a victory dance while the balls are being counted.

#15 6 years ago

Double and triple bonus for the 2nd and 3rd ball if you set it to 3 balls.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Double and triple bonus for the 2nd and 3rd ball if you set it to 3 balls.

Is 3-ball play on an EM a "thing?"

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

It is at my house

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

No sir it isn't. 5 ball factory settings.

#19 6 years ago

Your choice 3 or 5. Mine is on 5. Tried it on 3. 5 is better.

4 months later
#20 6 years ago

After looking for a while, I finally found a decent example about an hour away! Officially in the club!

0B681B4F-4698-4DD7-9EE1-E0CE03E5CBDF (resized).jpeg0B681B4F-4698-4DD7-9EE1-E0CE03E5CBDF (resized).jpeg

#21 6 years ago

I joined the club 2 weeks ago with a nice Top Score.

#22 6 years ago

Only thing special on mine is I recreated the left slingshot plastic after it broke.

My son has rolled it about seven times, his high score is about 146,000....I’ve rolled it a few times but never by that much.

Love ripping that spinner!

#23 6 years ago

Great game. Fun to play with others. I had a TS but I bet 300 is even more fun with 4 players. The red ball bonus unit in the backglass will drive you to drink though. I adjusted the switch and the metal bar back there a zillion times in 4 years of ownership. It will either count down one extra ball or one less ball when it’s not all lined up perfectly. It goes out of adjustment often.

I’ll own another one again someday. It’s just pure GTB EM fun.

#24 6 years ago

I bought a full plastics set from Pinball Rescue. The quality is excellent.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

Even has the delay during the bonus countdown so you can do a victory dance while the balls are being counted.

YESSSSSS!!!!

ZjDzZWc (resized).pngZjDzZWc (resized).png

#26 6 years ago

Top Score mystery ball feature is awesome but I don't think I have ever hit the special target while it is lit. I've had one a few years now sometimes the ball goes so fast sometimes you can hear a sound like 'zing'

#27 6 years ago

Not sure I get your post. The special target will light after hitting the lit star rollover and will turn off upon any scoring action that involves the score motor. The mystery bonus means that you will get 1, 2 or 3 bonuses for hitting the saucer.

1 week later
#28 6 years ago

It was a badly written post wasn't it..me bad

In this picture the 'Special' star roll over and the 'Special' target are circled in yellow. It happens to me that I light the special with the star roll over and then manage to hit something (initiating the score motor) before getting to hit the special target for the free game.

The mystery ball hole is circled in orange. The capacitor/diode/ resistor plug that operates this feature was missing from my game when I got it. Following the schematic I built one and it works really well. I guess maybe that's why I think the mystery ball feature is so awesome. I actually figured something out that works.

mystery special (resized).jpgmystery special (resized).jpg

2 months later
#29 6 years ago

My college roommates and I salvaged this from a bar that burnt in Champaign January 1977. It was full of ice and water from the firehoses. Took a week to thaw it out and get it dry enough to plug in the first time.

Bar (resized).jpgBar (resized).jpg

Top Score (resized).jpgTop Score (resized).jpg

#30 6 years ago

That looks like it has low plays, judging from the wear on the bg. Glad you were able to save it.

#31 6 years ago

Hoping to join the club with a Top Score in the next month or so. One of my favorite EM's!

1 week later
#32 6 years ago

Just joined the Top Score Club with my first EM. Bought it last year right before Thanksgiving and the grandkids (and everyone else) loved it!

I've been having lots of fun "tweeking" and doing some minor cosmetic work touching up the BG, leveling the inserts, replacing lamps with frosted white and red (skirt, bonus ball chute, "when lit" bonus value insert) and yellow(inserts) LEDs and lots of new lamp sockets. I've also discovered that YouTube is my best friend in helpful videos.

I recently changed from 5 ball to 3 ball and really like it. But now I want to increase the replay scores because the double and triple bonus makes it way too easy to get the replays. I just had my first rollover to hit 122,000 on the 3 ball play. Has anyone adjusted the replay scores? I looked inside the BG and there appears to be several Jones plugs with numbers "stored" in drilled holes in the plywood that aren't being currently used. Are the 2nd and 3rd replays based on the 1st replay number? I currently have the #5 and#7 wires connected (for 57,000 score card). I'm guessing that I can just switch them out to get new values?

Thanks!

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from BeloitJayhawk:

Just joined the Top Score Club with my first EM. Bought it last year right before Thanksgiving and the grandkids (and everyone else) loved it!
I've been having lots of fun "tweeking" and doing some minor cosmetic work touching up the BG, leveling the inserts, replacing lamps with frosted white and red (skirt, bonus ball chute, "when lit" bonus value insert) and yellow(inserts) LEDs and lots of new lamp sockets. I've also discovered that YouTube is my best friend in helpful videos.
I recently changed from 5 ball to 3 ball and really like it. But now I want to increase the replay scores because the double and triple bonus makes it way too easy to get the replays. I just had my first rollover to hit 122,000 on the 3 ball play. Has anyone adjusted the replay scores? I looked inside the BG and there appears to be several Jones plugs with numbers "stored" in drilled holes in the plywood that aren't being currently used. Are the 2nd and 3rd replays based on the 1st replay number? I currently have the #5 and#7 wires connected (for 57,000 score card). I'm guessing that I can just switch them out to get new values?
Thanks!

Sounds like you are missing this card from the back box.
For example, if you want to have a replay at 72,000 and 94,000; you would plug wire seven in the 2000 slot and wire nine in the 4000 slot.
As far as I can tell you can any number of replays as long you have open sockets, mine is set at "factory" with a replay at 70,000 84,000 and 92,000.
Hope this helps.

20180330_184951 (resized).jpg20180330_184951 (resized).jpg

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from BeloitJayhawk:

But now I want to increase the replay scores because the double and triple bonus makes it way too easy to get the replays.

http://pinballhelp.com/em-tech-setting-creditextra-ball-award-levels-on-gottlieb-machines/

1 month later
#35 5 years ago

A question for the club. I was offered up a 300. One thing I didn’t care for was this center post. I had one growing up and have played a few at shows and never saw this before. Was this a normal thing or added on later.

2FE9D627-00B6-4C3B-B113-3E35B591CD5D (resized).jpeg2FE9D627-00B6-4C3B-B113-3E35B591CD5D (resized).jpeg

#36 5 years ago

Added later by a previous owner. They did not have that post from the factory.

#37 5 years ago

A lane guide was also removed right here. Although, I was just playing 300 at a friends place Sunday and we actually discussed removing this lane guide to see if it would cut down on left ball drains.

IMG_0966 (resized).JPGIMG_0966 (resized).JPG

#38 5 years ago

That lane guide as you call it won't change the way the ball drains down the side. My Top Score doesn't have the guide. I modded the pops to fire independently and that improved the action considerably.

#39 5 years ago

Does anyone has a pdf or scan of the schematic for Top score or 300?
Thanks in advance
Clive

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballNZ:

Does anyone has a pdf or scan of the schematic for Top score or 300?
Thanks in advance
Clive

Pinball Resource sells the schematics. I support them and am glad they are around.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Pinball Resource sells the schematics. I support them and am glad they are around.

Sadly when you live overseas Pinball Resource is out of the picture with their "no electronic payment facilities"

The Top Score we have has an issue with the ball count lighting. We need to trace the wiring in the schematic to be able to fix it.

#42 5 years ago

Ball count troubleshooting may not need a schematic. What exactly is the issue?

5 months later
#43 5 years ago

Hi, I have the ACTUAL Nordamatic Champion machine as pictured above #11. Not just " A " machine, the one actually pictured, I can tell by the damage on it. It is my first machine and really need some help on this, but please see my other posts regarding Box and feature light issue. I dont want to flood the forums. Any help would be appreciated. PS I am in the UK, thanks

#44 5 years ago

Depends on the title and what features are changed.

For instance, Joker Poker (SS version) is supposed to be a 5 ball game to take full advantage of the bonus settings.

My Bow and Arrow EM is set to 3 ball as I like it better that way. =)

Quoted from SirScott:

1 month later
#45 5 years ago

Quick question for the group...

I'm redoing the score reels on a 300 at the moment. There are nine red balls in the bonus chute. Can someone confirm if that is correct? I was thinking since it's a bowling theme there would be 10 balls (10 frames), but may not be the case. I grabbed a copy of the manual and schematics but they don't mention the red balls.

On a side note, some things never sink in until you actually see them in person. Everything I've read says to avoid using grease on EM machines. Almost every one of these score reels has what looks like vaseline or some clear grease all over the place. Over time, it has literally solidified and turned hard. Everything is locked up and is taking a lot of work to clean properly. Nothing like an in-your-face example to drive a point home!

#46 5 years ago

Never mind. Looks like there are 10 balls. I just found the missing one in the truck. Must have fallen out during transport.

#47 5 years ago

Don't use grease where nylon touches nylon and use a very light suitable grease, such as the one PBR sells, very sparingly on metal to metal. Most machines have had previous owners put the wrong grease on things. Also, the original 40 year old grease has hardened like glue.

2 months later
#48 5 years ago

This issue is fixed no need to reply:

Hi all, I'm repairing a Top score I've been working on for the last year. I have a problem only a top score owner can help me with.
I need a clear photo of the zero-9 position switch for the player two 1,000 reel. I got distracted replacing the switch & forgot what wire goes where.
I've tried multiple combination but I can't get it to work. It's either a perfect reset but no latching to 10,000 reel or perfect latching & score keeping but this reel wont reset. So can someone post a pix or a diagram please.

Here is a photo of my Top Score machine, I hope you like my topper!
DSC_2598 (resized).JPGDSC_2598 (resized).JPG

#49 5 years ago

Please disregard my request I found this photo on Pinside which fixed my issue. My Top Score is fixed.

Top score reels (resized).jpgTop score reels (resized).jpg
#50 5 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

I modded the pops to fire independently and that improved the action considerably.

Can you post your pop bumper modification schematic please, I wouldn't mind doing it to my "Top Score".

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Machine - For Sale
Baldwinsville, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-300-and-top-score-club?hl=buffooned and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.