New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 195183)

Gottlieb "300" and Top Score Club

By chaskett

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by D-Gottlieb
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 20 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

middle (resized).JPG
inside front (resized).JPG
20200920_155940 (resized).jpg
20200920_160727 (resized).jpg
20200916_201058 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
1 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191016-WA0028 (resized).jpg
Top score reels (resized).jpg
DSC_2598 (resized).JPG
IMG_0966 (resized).JPG
2FE9D627-00B6-4C3B-B113-3E35B591CD5D (resized).jpeg
20180330_184951 (resized).jpg
Top Score (resized).jpg
Bar (resized).jpg
mystery special (resized).jpg

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago

I didn't write schematic for it, I just did it. I added another pop bumper relay and just separated the circuits. You will need to add a wire to the scoring relay, too.

5 months later
#52 1 year ago

I just picked up a "300" this week and it is my second machine, first EM. After 20 plays or so, the kicker on the left side of the backbox that counts off the bonus balls stopped working. Can anyone point me in a direction to start troubleshooting this? I believe I have the complete schematics. In the meantime, I will be watching YouTube videos to start my EM pinball education.

#53 1 year ago

Based on your description, I would check connections and wiring at the solenoid that kicks them down.

#54 1 year ago

There is an "add bonus" delay relay. It is almost all the way towards the back. I had/have issues with the relay working but the contacts having issues passing the signal. The game will just hang. Smacking the cab or using the flipper usually "jars" it into counting. Just something to check.

1 week later
#55 1 year ago

I found that I could manually activate the K relay and the coil in the backbox would kick the balls back down. Today I replaced the coil in this relay and now only the stepper activates when I move the switches on the relay. One step forward, two steps back?

2 months later
#56 1 year ago

just joined the club

IMG-20191016-WA0028 (resized).jpg
#57 1 year ago

a question... How many red bonus balls do you originally have?

#58 1 year ago

Pretty sure they all came with 10 balls.

#59 1 year ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Estoy bastante seguro de que todos vinieron con 10 bolas.

Okkkkkkk......thanks!!!!!!!!

#60 1 year ago
Quoted from Slim64:

It was my first purchase getting into the hobby.
It'll never be sold

It was our first machine also. The only Gottlieb in my collection. It seems rock solid. Only thing I see is his hand is on the wrong side of the ball.

1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg
#61 1 year ago

Never noticed that..

9 months later
#62 80 days ago

I have a question, I'm looking at buying a "300" but the guy says it's stuck in a "loop/reset mode." Is to far away for me to look at just yet, any idea if this is a common problem or how to fix it? Thanks!

#63 80 days ago
Quoted from Jacksfailure:

I have a question, I'm looking at buying a "300" but the guy says it's stuck in a "loop/reset mode." Is to far away for me to look at just yet, any idea if this is a common problem or how to fix it? Thanks!

Sounds like an issue with the AX relay, but hard to tell without seeing what is going on.

#64 79 days ago

Definitely agree with liftmagnet; almost any issue with game reset will revolve around the AX relay and AX reset relay. If there's a constant clicking coming from the backbox or head then the AX relay contact is causing the player unit to cycle.

Something helpful I did when I first starting working with EM's was film the relay bank in the cabinet with my phone and watch frame by frame to determine whether the sequence was doing what it was supposed to. I wonder if seller would be willing, in which case you could post here and we could help you determine the issue against a good startup cycle.

#65 79 days ago

Should be an easy fix. Could be the AX, could also be score reels not resetting to zero...

1 month later
#66 37 days ago

Joined the club tonight. Bit of a project game but super excited to pick it up. Powers ups and plays the bonus balls don't seem to be working and player 1 only has 3 digits working. I'm sure there are more issues the challenge is this is my 1st EM.

20200916_201058 (resized).jpg
#67 37 days ago
Quoted from waldo34:

Joined the club tonight. Bit of a project game but super excited to pick it up. Powers ups and plays the bonus balls don't seem to be working and player 1 only has 3 digits working. I'm sure there are more issues the challenge is this is my 1st EM.

Taking on a 4-player game as your 1st EM.... That is a challenge! Pretty nice looking game. Congrats, and good luck!

#69 36 days ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Taking on a 4-player game as your 1st EM.... That is a challenge! Pretty nice looking game. Congrats, and good luck!

#70 35 days ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Thanks going to need it. Right now the only remaining issue I have is none of the thousand didget score for any of the players. Noticed that the thousand relay in backbox engages but doesn't disengage. Figured stuck switch on playfield but there is only one switch that scores 1000 points. That's as far as I have gotten. Suggestions anyone?

#71 34 days ago
Quoted from waldo34:

Thanks going to need it. Right now the only remaining issue I have is none of the thousand didget score for any of the players. Noticed that the thousand relay in backbox engages but doesn't disengage. Figured stuck switch on playfield but there is only one switch that scores 1000 points. That's as far as I have gotten. Suggestions anyone?

Gotta be a switch touching or broken solder somewhere to keep that relay engaged.

#72 34 days ago

I believe the 9th position on the 100 relay will create a circle energize the 1000 relay. Could a short there?

#73 34 days ago

Seems my first inspection of the 1000 relay was not very good. Hoping someone can post a picture of theirs so I can figure out where the red wire goes. Thanks

20200920_155940 (resized).jpg20200920_160727 (resized).jpg
#74 31 days ago

Update, now scoring correctly for the most part. I had to reattached the wire and found that the roll over for "Lights Special Target when lite" was problematic.

Edit: the only remaining issue is player 2 double or triple scores during bonus.

2 weeks later
#75 15 days ago

Hello All,

New to the group and as some of you mentioned, this is my first purchase as well!

I wanted to see if any of you have experienced or have heard of, my most recent problem with my Gottlieb "300" ? While playing it, there became a noticeable humming noise (an increase in power/energy type of noise/with a hum/vibration) and slight vibration that could be felt under the palms of your hands in the playing position.

I turned the machine off, even unplugged it, waited, took the glass out and lifted up the playfield, to see and hear (in terms of the location of the electronic components effected, on either the bottom of the cabinet or the ones attached to the underside of the playfield) would happen when I plugged it in and turned it back on. So, when I turned the machine on the hum was there and the hum continued when the credit button was selected to a player/game start mode. The hum was from the bottom of the machine, seemed to be coming from the inside front area. Hard to pin point, as well, I felt the vibration come from the same palm/hand grip position/placement (front of cabinet) and the coin door was open and was vibrating (it seemed/felt like the noise was coming from the front).

Since it was not sounding good, with that noise it was making (not normal), I went to press the power button off, and then there was a different sound that was made/heard, like the one you hear when you score a free game (with either points or match), that seem to be coming from the back area of the unit, as the power was being turned off.

Anyone heard of such, or know of problem/solution?

Thanks

inside front (resized).JPGmiddle (resized).JPG
#76 15 days ago

A contact is closed when it should be open. Difficult to troubleshoot without having the machine in front of me. Is the machine setup for free play, are the coin units installed working properly, was it ever working correctly, etc? You are correct in removing power as whatever is on will overheat if allowed to stay on.

#77 15 days ago

Hello D Gottlieb, Yes it has been working fine for the two years I have owed it and we play it quite frequently. The machine has been set up for free play, by pressing the credit button, which is how I got the machine, and again was never an issue, simply turn it on and press the credit button to how many players. The noise seemed to becoming form the coin door I think as I did not want the machine to stay too long and since the coin door was open it to was vibrating. Someone mentioned that it maybe the "coin lock out relay" on the coin door or the "power hold relay" which I do not know much about in terms of their location or what they actually look like or how to fix.

#78 15 days ago

Sounds like you’re talking about the coin lockout coils in the coin door. They engage and hold on any time the game is on, which can create a fairly loud humming. If you set your game to freeplay, you can disable those coils if they bother you.

#79 15 days ago

Hi Mattosburn, the noise had increased, when we were playing the game and stayed, as if something/part was receiving more energy/electricity then normal, plus this little vibration. Both of these things were never present before, when I turn it off and restarted, the machine reset as normal, but the noise/hum stayed and made a weird noise when I turned the machine off.

#80 15 days ago

Sounds normal. Sometimes you’ll get more vibration if something is loose. The sound you hear when turning it off is the coil(s) disengaging. When the game is off, the lockout coil (or coils, depends on the game) is obviously off, and this causes any coins that are inserted to travel to the coin return rather than go in the box. When the game is on, the lockout coil is always engaged, which changes the coin path to the normal route. This is a poor design (that wasted power) and was eventually changed. If you’re not using coins, you don’t care about any of this. Snip one (or both) wires going to the coil and you won’t have to hear any of that buzzing again.

#81 15 days ago

So, the machine was already on free play when I bought it and only had to press the credit button to activate. Where would the coin relay be, in the door, as I am not sure what it looks like. But I have never heard this increased hum that it was making last night, and the slight vibration, so something is not correct, I can take a photo of the door when I get home later, to post to see if things "look" proper to all. But there seems to be a surging of power, as the machine made a weird click noise when I turned it off.

#82 15 days ago

The coin lockout coil is on a rod connecting the two coin mechs inside the coin door. It shouldn't make any noise. Just cut the wire to it and secure/tape so it won't short. Then see if the noise is gone.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 63.29
Cabinet - Other
Pinball-Mods.com
$ 17.00
$ 11.00
Tools
Troxel Repair
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
French Fry - LED Out of stock
UpKick Pinball
$ 30.00
$ 24.50
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Cobra Amusements
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 78.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 79.99
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside