Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1940.JPG
translate.jpg
playfield.jpg
pin.jpg
#1 11 years ago

This is my 87' Raven, i just finished swaping out all playfield bulbs with LEDS, playfield really pops now. i have a custom translate that has replaced the god awful original. I dont know why this game has such a bad rep??? Other than the backglass design its awesome. It plays really fast has lots of challenging skill shots and is a blast to play 4 player as not one person hogs the machine.Let me know what you guys think of my MODS

pin.jpgpin.jpg playfield.jpgplayfield.jpg translate.jpgtranslate.jpg

#2 11 years ago

I dig the backglass, ill say that much

#3 11 years ago

Alternate BG looks good. I like the game play just not the BG and PF artwork........

#4 11 years ago

back glass was done by "CreativeOne" i purchased the pin from him

#5 11 years ago

I know many hate this game in part because of the back glass, artwork, and other reasons. I actually am not sure I could see owning one in my small collection, but if I ever found one very cheap might consider it. It's a challenging and fun game, not the complete dog I was told it to be. That's an interesting new BG but not sure if it goes with playfield lady or other original art. However better than original BG.

7 months later
#6 10 years ago

I own this game. I have not changed out the back glass and wont change it either. I think it is pretty cool. I also own a Gold Wings and i changed the backglass on that sucker as soon as I had the chance.
I think the gameplay on Raven is good. The shots are hard though. I also like the 'realistic war sounds' the machine makes. I have seen so many Demolition Man and Dracula machines that this is a breath of fresh air.

#7 10 years ago

Just bought a Raven a week ago. Keeping the bad backglass as it's all part of the "experience," that being laugh at it for looking so ridiculous, then play it and realize it's FUN to play. Challenging shots, some bells and whistles, sniper drop targets (love them) etc. If you can get a working one in the $500-650 range do it...

That being said I do like the alternative trans shown above though. Nice artwork.

#8 10 years ago

Laser War is kind of the same way. Lame art, fun game.

#9 10 years ago

Don't like this Raven Back Glass with all due respect. If you buy a Raven you've got a Raven...be proud; don't try to hide it.

#10 10 years ago

You guys have some kind of "elevated" tastes, I guess; I love the look of Raven and I think it's fun! I won't pay more than $600 - $700 for an 80B though.

I also very much like the look of my Laser War and do not find it "lame", I think it's great looking!

#11 10 years ago

I'm NOT a raven fan. I don't like most of the 80B Gottlieb/ Premier machines. I have a Hollywood Heat that I'd sell in a minute. It's not a bad game and the art is very 80ish but I just don't like the games. If I'm gonna have a pin that has so so game play then it should at least have killer art.

#12 10 years ago

I can see the conversations I'd have if I owned this.

"Whoa that's a weird backglass"
"yeah it's an after market piece. The thing aboot Raven is it's known for having one of the worst backglasses ever."
"Oh awesome...do you still have it around here...let me see it!"

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from JBK:

I'm NOT a raven fan. I don't like most of the 80B Gottlieb/ Premier machines. I have a Hollywood Heat that I'd sell in a minute. It's not a bad game and the art is very 80ish but I just don't like the games. If I'm gonna have a pin that has so so game play then it should at least have killer art.

Wow, Hollywood heat is a fun game, right up there with Gold Wings I think for fun factor of this era.

Ill let you know when I am driving through next year for vacation WV....

#14 10 years ago

if i ever got crazy rich and had the space, i've always wanted to collect all the cheesy 80s/90s gottliebs (raven, hollywood heat, gold wings, etc). saw one on craigslist for 400 but didn't get it.

if anyone wants to send me their old raven backglass, PM me, i'll take it off your hands

#15 10 years ago

Haha I like The Heat, too, that was my first one. Then came Genesis and also my Gold Wings. I picked up a Monte Carlo though, snoooooooooze. Sold that for $250 not a month later.

#16 10 years ago

$250 for a monte carlo? WTF! I woulda given you $400!

Gold wings is fun though...that shot to make the siren go is challenging.

#17 10 years ago

I like the original cheesy 80s bg. But then again, my tastes are weird.

2 weeks later
#18 10 years ago

I have just finished changing my bulbs in Raven to LEDs. I have made all the GI a jungle green.
What do you think? They are a deeper green in real life and not so 'teal'.

IMG_1940.JPGIMG_1940.JPG

#19 10 years ago

I like it! I need to LED mine with the Jungle green!

#20 10 years ago

I must admit if I had a raven I too would keep the original backglass, the cheesy factor is what makes it so appealing. no offense to the op but this version of the backglass doen not fit the theme or artwork...keep it pure and be proud

#21 10 years ago

I finally got one of these fixed up recently -- I thought it looked pretty lame, but once up and running it's actually not a bad game at all. I never realized the helicopter rotor spun, that was a neat surprise and the sounds on it aren't too bad either. The sniper drop targets popping up are also neat. All in all, I like it better than some of the System 80B's I've played. Glad I had a chance to play one in person to realize it wasn't as bad as many people would believe you to believe.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-1987-raven-what-do-you-think and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.