(Topic ID: 189529)

Gottlieb 1979 Buck Rogers Trouble shooting?

By Galaxy-Ranger

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hello all, Let me just say i am new to the hobby and i really don't know much. When i was a kid my father bought a Captain Fantastic and the brown dirt cowboy Bally Pinball machine from Montgomery wards. We had it 3 weeks and had to call the repair man 9 times. We got it switched out with a galaxy rangers model and had it for years with out an issue. But i had a cousin that spilled pop down it and it caught fire and that was that. Now After all these years i decided to get another pinball machine for my family game room.

Now i just got a Buck Rogers pinball machine and I'm having an issue i can't figure out so I'm asking if any one has any ideas please give a direction to go to try and fix this issue.

First let me say everything works all switches, flippers and lights. The issue is the sound? I have a Buzzing noise that is louder then the the sound effects from the switches being triggered in the game. of course the louder you turn up the volume the louder the buzzing sound. Buzzes in tone mode as well. I checked the grounds and Fuses and the speaker, I Unplugged the sound board and everything was silent. I'm at a loss for what to check. If the board was bad would i still here all the game sounds? Now i have seen YouTube vids on game play and the only thing Ive seen on other machines that mine don't do is the lights behind back glass behind the Buck Rogers Flash on and off, Mine just stay on. Not sure if this is a separate issue or is somehow tide in to my sound problem. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

I would start by replacing the 5 electrolytic caps on the sound board. Bad caps often produce humming noises.

#3 6 years ago

on the backbox lights check to see if they at 455 flasher bulbs as thats what you need in those areas . if the sound board is not repairable pascal sells new ones

#4 6 years ago

I will give these a try and will update you both to let you know the status, Thanks so much for your guys help.

#5 6 years ago

Measure AC and DC voltage on all the test points on the sound board; if AC seems noticeably higher on one than the others, the filter capacitor associated with that one may be bad.

After that's done, come back here and we can talk about next steps.

#6 6 years ago

Well i can let you all know that my Buzzing sound is now gone!

It was the sound board itself. I was able to find a new one and it came in the mail today. Hooked it up and TA DA, No BUZZING.

I did order a cap kit for the old sound board and i will still try to repair it for a spare.

So thank you pinballdaveh for setting me on the right path.

plowpusher i checked and i did not have flasher bulbs in there so that's the issue with that, So i have some on order.

Majdi thank you for your advise, i will use it when i start the repairs on the old board.

So Happy now, Thank You All for your help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-1979-buck-rogers-trouble-shooting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.