2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ArgosySK
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

Hello all Pinsiders. I have a Gottlieb(1976) "Big Hit" pinball that, when playing, all lights randomly go out. Game plays fine and everything works OK, just all lights go out, then randomly come back on. Checked fuse holders and they seem fine. Thanks in advance to anyone who can direct me to resolving this

#2 2 years ago

If your fuse holders are good, start with the jones plugs... you've got a bad connection somewhere.

#3 2 years ago

Do the light go out only when the score motor is turning and scoring points?

#4 2 years ago

I'm no longer in possession of the machine. The owner text me this morning and told me of the issue. I previously had this pin in my possession for repairs a couple months ago. I'll have to ask him if it happens when scoring points or just randomly in the middle of play. Unfortunately, I purchased a schematic for this game but left in the machine so I may have to actually look at it at his residence. Was wondering if there could be a contact on the hold(s)relay. Just putting it out there. Thanks for responses so far. By the way, I believe I cleaned all the Jones plugs when I first had it here. Could still be an issue with them I'm guessing.

#5 2 years ago

depends which lights.

head/cabinet GI lights are just the 10A fuse with the BLK-RED wire

game functions like pop bumpers, rollover lights and playfield GI are the 10A fuse with the WH-RED wire and a tilt hold relay switch.

if all lights on both fused circuits are turning off, that'd imply a short on the 6V supply.

could also be a fuse filament broke from the move, but it looks ok.

#6 2 years ago

Thanks so much for your reply. I found a schematic close to the Big Hit one and you are correct, the GI and the other lights have seperate fuses. It would almost have to be an intermittant type short or a bad connection from the transformer, probably unlikely. The owner tells me it's ALL lamps. Not sure if that's the case or not. I may have to go to his residence and check the things you mentioned. Since it IS an intermittant condtion, it's pretty much a "crap shoot." Thanks for your input. Not sure how all lamps are out when there are fuses for 2 different circuits unless(as you mentioned)there's some type of short. I'll have to check and make sure this doesn't happen when scoring points and the motor switch is running.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from tnarv:

Not sure how all lamps are out when there are fuses for 2 different circuits

There are 2 feed wires before the fuses

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #8 2 years ago

Thanks for your reply and partial schematic of the GI and lamp fuses. I will have to check that area when I get to the machine again.

#9 2 years ago

Also check for a loose wire/broken solder joint from the transformer to fuses.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-1976-big-hit-pinball-all-lights-go-out-randomly?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.