NINE (resized).JPG
1 to 8 (resized).JPG
ZERO (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2762 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

When the replay button is pushed, my Top Score attempts to reset the score reels. Sometimes the numbers move 5 higher only. If I try again they will increase one number only. Another try, another number, etc until all are at zero.

The previous owner had tried to fix the game for three months. He managed to offset the Player Unit bakelite arm by 120º and stretched out the Player Unit springs very tight. I have no idea what else his shotgun approach 'fixes' altered.

After the initial partial reset of the score reels, the game plays and scores mostly as it should. But new scoring is added on top of the old score.

I have (1) checked the score reel switches and they seem to open and close at the right time: 0,1-8,9. (2) I've cleaned the P3 and P4 switches and checked that they open and close with the cam teeth. Also checked P2B and the R relay make-break switch. (3) I've checked the AX relay and the switches change state when I manually activate/deactivate the relay.

I've searched other threads and couldn't find the same problem but once, and that faded away without resolution.

Someone else must have run into this problem before and can help. What have I missed? What should I check again? This machine has come a long way but the score reel reset is frustrating me. I am bettering my skills but am still relatively new to repair and schematics.

IMG_2762 (resized).JPGIMG_2762 (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago

If reset completes before the score reels find their way to zero, make sure these 10 switches are opening when they should.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 3 years ago

Just got home. Uh oh, sorry to be such a noob. Is the 'add "player" unit' what I've been calling the player unit? The one in the back box with the red-white-black cams. Or is it something else?

#4 3 years ago

The Add Player Unit solenoid advances the Player Unit you described.

#5 3 years ago

I can find the br-wh-red and or-wh-red but not a wh, wh-sl, or wh-gr. I don’t see any plain white except maybe a grungy off color wire that goes to the coil

#6 3 years ago

Hi hjh632
in post-1 You write about "previous owner managed to offset the Player-Unit bakelite arm" - did You undo this offset ?
When You manually set all Score-Drums of Player-2 to their Zero-Position and then always only start a ONE-Player-Game and play to Game-Over - do the Score-Drums of Player-2 ever step ? When they are nice and never step we can "reduce for the moment" the problem to "in ONE-Player-Games the four Score-Drums of Player-1 do not fully reset (step forward to Zero-Position). I would like to further reduce the Problem to
- the 100 / 1000 / 10'000 are manually stepped to Zero - the 10-drum is stepped to 10 --- then starting a new game - how far does the 10-drum step ?
- the 10 / 1000 / 10'000 are manually stepped to Zero - the 100-drum is stepped to 100 --- then starting a new game - how far does the 100-drum step ?
- the 10 / 100 / 10'000 are manually stepped to Zero - the 1000-drum is stepped to 1000 --- then starting a new game - how far does the 1000-drum step ?
- the 10 / 100 / 1000 are manually stepped to Zero - the 10'000-drum is stepped to 10'000 --- then starting a new game - how far does the 10'000-drum step ?
All the (above) tests done starting a new ONE-Player-Game - pressing just once the Replay-Button. I wonder how many steps in every one test - five times (?). (((I fear reziprocal influence when all drums are in Non-Zero-Position))) Greetings Rolf

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from hjh632:

I don’t see any plain white except maybe a grungy off color wire that goes to the coil

I found the wires, (I think)on the score reel units where I should have known to look for 1st and 2nd player reset switches

Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

"previous owner managed to offset the Player-Unit bakelite arm" - did You undo this offset ?

Yes, corrected that.

When You manually set all Score-Drums of Player-2 to their Zero-Position and then always only start a ONE-Player-Game and play to Game-Over - do the Score-Drums of Player-2 ever step?
They don’t step.
For the rest, setting all the drum except one to zero, then repeating with other drums, I will have to wait until tonight or the morning to test.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from hjh632:

I can find the br-wh-red and or-wh-red but not a wh, wh-sl, or wh-gr. I don’t see any plain white except maybe a grungy off color wire that goes to the coil

Here's where the P3E and P4E switches should be
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#9 3 years ago

Yes, found the ones on P4E and P3E. Think I found the W, w-SL, W-GR on the score reel switches. Sound right? Still kind of lost but slowly getting there.

#10 3 years ago

If you'd like to try a phone call, send me your cellphone number in a private message and I'll make a first reply with a text message.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

I would like to further reduce the Problem to
- the 100 / 1000 / 10'000 are manually stepped to Zero - the 10-drum is stepped to 10 --- then starting a new game - how far does the 10-drum step ?

With the 10 on ten and other reels on 0, when I start a new game the 10 goes to 20 (it went to 30 one time)
With the 100 0n 100 and other reels on zero, when I start a new game the 100 goes to 200
with the 1000 0n 1000 and others on zero when I start a game the 1000 goes to 2000
with the 10,000 on 10,000 and others on zero when I start a game 10,000 goes to 20,000 (one time it went to 30,000)

Since I had some numbers up I started a new game with an old score of 23,550. It went to 55,770. Turned the game off and restarted and it went to 00,000
I put the reels back to 55,770 and started again. It went to 66,880. Next restart to 99,000. Next start to 00,000.

Nothing is consistent.

I will post photos of the reel switches at 0, 1-8, then 9.

#12 3 years ago

Reel on zero. Switches from left (closest to circuit board) to right open open closed

ZERO (resized).JPGZERO (resized).JPG
#13 3 years ago

Reel at 1-8. From left to right open closed closed

1 to 8 (resized).JPG1 to 8 (resized).JPG
#14 3 years ago

Reel at 9. From left to right closed closed open

NINE (resized).JPGNINE (resized).JPG
#15 3 years ago

Success at last. I realized that the game as given to me had the same switch in every reel with the same misadjustment. I'd gone through originally and just checked that all switch positions were the same from reel to reel as it transitioned from '0' to '1-8' to '9', not realizing that one switch was always off. Wonder what else was 'fixed' by the previous owner! Thank you Rolf and HowardR for getting me to look closer. Game is now playable with a few minor issues for the future.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-1975-top-score-partial-score-reel-reset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.