Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3541 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 7.49.15 PM (resized).png
IMG_3539 (resized).jpg
IMG_3538 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

My Top Score originally did not reset the 10's score reel at all, but started up and played normally, even with the reel not at "0".

I adjusted the right hand switch (on the second photo) - very fussy switch that messed up the others until I finally thought I'd gotten it right - and now the reel resets, but always ends on the digit "1".

I note that when all the other score reels have reset, the 10s takes an extra rotation around, past zero again and stops at "1".

The actual number reel has not been taken out at all, so I don't see how it could have jumped a place to end up at "1" instead of "0".

Gottlieb score reels intimidate me, changing one of the switches alters the others with their short throws and I keep fine tuning and going in circles. Any wisdom from the experts will be appreciated.

IMG_3538 (resized).jpgIMG_3538 (resized).jpgIMG_3539 (resized).jpgIMG_3539 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Does that score reel reset to 1 from any position, or have you been manually setting it to 1, then resetting the game to see if it resets?

Either way, you might unplug the game and compare how the switches on the misbehaving score reel compare to the switches on a working score reel. You can manually push the plunger into the solenoid and release it to advance the reel. Compare the switches in all 10 positions to see if you can identify a difference. Also check that the lever arm that activates the switches is sandwiched between the same switch leaves on both working and not working score reels.

/Mark

#3 2 years ago

Thanks MarkG, was hoping to hear from you!

10s Reel resets to 1 from any number position.

Had not thought of comparing the lever arm and it's switch location position compared to the other reels.

Will also (again) compare the switches against working reels. One thing that gives me trouble is that the switches seem to have a double head and I find them hard to adjust, and worry that the part in back may not mimic the position of the part in front, even when adjusting from the switch base. I've stolen a diagram from one of your other posts - you had highlighted the type of switch in red. I've always wondered why the switch isn't just a simple switch and not the double sort of end. (I've put a green "T" on the two prongs that seem to have the same function but stymie me when making adjustments.)

I'll eye the lever position, then off for a walk and will check back a bit. Henry

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 7.49.15 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 7.49.15 PM (resized).png
#4 2 years ago

Maybe I don't understand about the lever arm. I did find that the ends of the switches (1,2,3 in the photo) are in the same slots when comparing the 10 and 100 score reels. Is that the lever arm position? Off for a walk - will check back later this afternoon.

IMG_3541 (resized).JPGIMG_3541 (resized).JPG
#5 2 years ago

The switch blades are in the correct slots. Yes, they are touchy and are difficult to adjust, so as Mark says, it can help to look at another score unit for reference.

In terms of how the switches operate, here is what you should be seeing as you manually step the unit from one number to the next:

- The #1 switch closest to the metal baseplate should make contact when the reel is at zero, and be open at all other positions.

- The #2 switch in the middle should be open at zero, and should be making contact at all other positions.

- The #3 switch (with only one contact point) should make contact when the reel is at 9, and be open at all other positions.

The #2 switch is what stops the reel when it gets to zero. The #1 switch is what signals the reset circuit that the reel is at zero. The #3 switch is for carry and is not involved in the reset operation.

If your reel is always stopping at 1 during reset, it would imply that both the #2 and the #1 switch are changing state at 1 rather than at 0. That would be a somewhat unusual fault, but it could happen.

One other suggestion, if you haven't done so already, is to make sure the two screws that attach the switch stack to the baseplate are down good and tight. If these screws are loose, it will make it more difficult to adjust the switches.

- TimMe

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from TimMe:

That would be a somewhat unusual fault, but it could happen.

I agree. Are you sure that the 10 points is a reset issue and not a scoring issue? Does the N relay fire during reset?

#7 2 years ago

I will check the switch stack screws and then check N relay during reset. The reel had been resetting to zero properly, then over time stopped resetting. When I readjusted the switch blades it began resetting to 1.

#8 2 years ago

N Relay does not fire during reset. Going to check the switch stack screws now

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from hjh632:

One thing that gives me trouble is that the switches seem to have a double head and I find them hard to adjust, and worry that the part in back may not mimic the position of the part in front, even when adjusting from the switch base.

stick a piece of paper in the stack between the back contacts on the runout switch and see what happens.

it does look in your pic like the switch blade is twisted a little and would make the back contact gap smaller, but that could just be the camera angle. Usually ya just put the reel at zero and eyeball in there to make sure there's a reasonable gap for both contact sets.

you can also stick a piece of paper in the N relay switch with the wh-blk and blk+wh wires in case the gap is a little small and you are getting an arc causing a score reel increment even tho the N relay isn't powering.

#10 2 years ago

Those score reel switches are very tricky to adjust. Just keep at it. We just got a Top Score in for repair and I will be starting on it this week.

#11 2 years ago

Thanks Baldtwit, TimMe, and MarkG. It's an honor to have the EM big guns on my side! I look forward to the EM Online Repair Clinic on Friday.

I kept comparing reels and readjusting, making it worse and back to resetting to 1 and around and around with that. Finally managed to sneak a bit of paper between the back contacts as Baldtwit suggested and it reset right to 0! Must be that double-bladed switch was twisted askew a bit - good eye Baldtwit. I have the paper in for now while I think of how to untwist the double blade. Thank you everyone.

Still wondering why those blades are forked into two contacts - I don't see any upside and only room for the problem I had. Henry

#12 2 years ago

Took the reel apart and got all switches sorted out and straight. Works fine now.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from hjh632:

Still wondering why those blades are forked into two contacts - I don't see any upside and only room for the problem I had. Henry

redundancy and splitting current flow over two sets of contacts isn't a bad idea. If the runout or zero switch doesn't work, the game gets turned off until a service guy shows up.

assuming the single blade for the overflow is factory, then apparently they weren't concerned if the game didn't increment the 100's when the 10's rolled over

when they made it, the blades were straight and the wafers in the stack spaced everything correctly. No adjustment was needed.

the games weren't designed for more than a few years of operating life. Decades later, you get the opportunity to invent more expletives.

if you ever have to adjust/replace a switch buried low down in the middle of a gottlieb trip relay bank, you may want to evacuate people who get easily offended when they hear certain words. If it's a game from the era where the solder joints fall off the switch blades if you nudge them, clear out people in a mile radius to be safe.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-1975-top-score-always-resets-to-10-points and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.