(Topic ID: 65198)

Gottlieb 1971 Playball Flipper Won't align

By alb0711

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alb0711.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I'm rebuilding my flippers on my 1971 Gottlieb Playball using a rebuild kit from pbresource. I was able to get the left flipper aligned without issue - but the right isn't cooperating. I think the spring is pulling the plunger-link assembly just enough to cause it to stick. I thought a stronger spring might do the trick, but after creating a little more tension on the spring the problem is still there. I've spent the last 2 hours trying every thing I can think of without success.

Anybody out there ever experience the same issue?

TIA

Allen

#3 10 years ago

Hi Alex - nice to hear from you!

The flipper bat is sticking and once energized it won't go back to "off" position. I've tried increasing the play thinking maybe it was rubbing against the plastic bushing on the playfield, but that doesn't appear to be the source of the sticking. I've even got a working flipper to compare alignment to, but can't seem to get it right. I think somehow the spring is causing the plunger link assembly to misalign. This old Gottlieb flipper is a lot different the modern Williams and Bally's. It looks really simple but it's thrown me for a loop.

#7 10 years ago

After another hour or two, I finally got it working. Instead of leaving a gap between the bushing and flipper, my machine needed the flipper to be as close to the playfield as possible. Having even a small gap would misalign the coil and plunger.

Thanks for the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alb0711.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-1971-playball-flipper-wont-align?tu=alb0711 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.