Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MarkG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I am having some issues with the start up sequence. While there is a schematic there is no "Installation Procedures and Game Operation Instructions." The" manual" for my Gottlieb King Pin has the motor switches nicely defined and the schematic has the motor sequence chart.

As I work on the Groovy it would be helpful to have these two items.

Question: Is it worth the time to generate these two items before I continue troubleshooting?

#2 3 years ago

Check with Pinball Resource for buying the manual.

#3 3 years ago

Many times I’ve wished they made a game instruction manual for my 1970 Gottlieb Flip a Card but they didn’t. Not sure if it was 1971, 1972 or 1973 when Gottlieb started printing manuals to go along with the schematics.

The manuals that Williams made in the mid 70s were the best. Very informative, especially when you are new to EMs.

#4 3 years ago

PR said too early! I started using the schematic and the King Pin Manual.

When all is done I'll post it.

#6 3 years ago

Looks like Snow Derby was the first Gottlieb with a manual according to that thread but there is even a discrepancy on IPDB whether the game came out in December 1970 or December 1971.

We now know at least there were Gottlieb manuals printed in 1971.

#8 3 years ago

Thanks, I'm work through this.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from redrock:

I am having some issues with the start up sequence. While there is a schematic there is no "Installation Procedures and Game Operation Instructions." The" manual" for my Gottlieb King Pin has the motor switches nicely defined and the schematic has the motor sequence chart.
    As I work on the Groovy it would be helpful to have these two items.
    Question: Is it worth the time to generate these two items before I continue troubleshooting?

You don't have the card for the motor switches on the inside of the cabinet?

#10 3 years ago

No card. If you have a copy can you email it?

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from redrock:

No card. If you have a copy can you email it?

If I did I'd be happy to do it. Don't own the game. Usually that card manages to survive and not be taken out. Too bad yours didn't.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Many times I’ve wished they made a game instruction manual for my 1970 Gottlieb Flip a Card but they didn’t. Not sure if it was 1971, 1972 or 1973 when Gottlieb started printing manuals to go along with the schematics.
    The manuals that Williams made in the mid 70s were the best. Very informative, especially when you are new to EMs.

Williams EM manuals were superior to Gottlliebs the entire time. Much better info in them.

#13 3 years ago

I just placed an order with Steve for 2001 schematics and manual, and he stated that 2001 was the first game with a manual.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Williams EM manuals were superior to Gottlliebs the entire time. Much better info in them.

You aren't kidding. I learned to cut my teeth on Gottlieb machines and couldn't believe the documentation on William's machines. Makes troubleshooting a lot easier on a Williams machine.

11 months later
    #15 2 years ago
    Quoted from troxel:

I just placed an order with Steve for 2001 schematics and manual, and he stated that 2001 was the first game with a manual.

Apparently there's a game manual for Aquarius a few months earlier. See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-the-race-is-on-the-first-oldest-real-manual#post-6512679

/Mark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-1970-groovy-no-manual and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.