• 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TimMe
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fun (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TimMe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 7 years ago

For your endless 5th ball issue, check for a broken jumper wire between the double set of wiper blades on the ball count unit wiper. This jumper wire often breaks off. The double-set of wipers must be properly jumpered so that they bridge the set of rivets at the last ball position. This circuit is what trips the game over relay.

The jumper wire for bridging these wipers was known in the coin-op industry as "pig-tail" wire. It is a very flexible braided copper wire. You can't use regular wire to bridge the wipers because the stiffness of the wire will bind up the wipers and they won't ride freely over the contact rivets. In the worst case scenario, the wipers will start cutting grooves into the rivets and that is something you really want to avoid.

It's tough to find pig-tail wire these days, but an easy replacement is to use some thin solder wick (the yellow spool size is my preference). You need to soak the solder wick in alcohol for several hours to wash out the majority of the embedded flux. Don't try to use solder wick as pig-tail wire without soaking it in alcohol first, as the flux will cause the braid to wick up large amounts of solder (after all, that is what it was designed to do) and the wire won't be flexible.

- TimMe

#5 7 years ago

Hi Rolf - In the USA, solder wick is another name for de-soldering braid. They are the same thing.

Yes, I have been using this braid for years as pig-tail wire. I use the .050-inch width (also known as #2, also known as the yellow spool). I buy a spool just for this purpose, remove the entire 5-foot length of the braid from the spool, and soak it in alcohol for 3 days or so. Then I dry it off, wind it back on the spool, and mark the spool as pig-tail wire. One spool usually lasts me a year or two, but I do a lot of EM repairs.

- TimMe

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TimMe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-1968-funland-pinball-machine-wont-start?tu=TimMe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.