IMG_3510 (resized).JPG
IMG_3578 (resized).JPG
IMG_3558 (resized).JPG
IMG_3561 (resized).JPG
IMG_3476 (resized).JPG
IMG_3579 (resized).JPG
IMG_3551 (resized).JPG
#1 2 years ago

I had been wanting to pick up this machine for some time mainly because I found the pf roulette wheel quite a fascinating feature. So when one came up at a recent auction I snapped it up.
Unfortunately it was not a good start. A guy at the Auction House when removing the backbox allowed the front of the machine to topple hitting the ground hard and detaching the cab front. There was also quite a long split down the left cab side which was either caused by or exacerbated by the fall.

IMG_3474 (resized).JPGIMG_3474 (resized).JPG

IMG_3475 (resized).JPGIMG_3475 (resized).JPG

IMG_3481 (resized).JPGIMG_3481 (resized).JPG

I was able to repair both issues using adhesive and clamps both along the length and width of the machine. I also felt it prudent to include reinforcing timber plates on the inside of the cab split (after adhesive and clamping).

IMG_3478 (resized).JPGIMG_3478 (resized).JPG

IMG_3549 (resized).JPGIMG_3549 (resized).JPG

IMG_3550 (resized).JPGIMG_3550 (resized).JPG

Some really poor cab touch ups were apparent and this necessitated a repaint. I applied my usual method of fabricating 6mm mdf stencils to effect the ‘factory bleed’. These were a relatively simple stencil set as they did not involve any overlapping registration.

IMG_3477 (resized).JPGIMG_3477 (resized).JPG

IMG_3579 (resized).JPGIMG_3579 (resized).JPG

IMG_3551 (resized).JPGIMG_3551 (resized).JPG

A very poor attempt had been made to repair the cabinet neck.

IMG_3476 (resized).JPGIMG_3476 (resized).JPG

When I went to my parts bin I was amazed to find a spare neck marked ‘Super Score’!!

Again a very poor touchup had been done of the red sweater of one of the bg girls which is largely irreversible without risking further damage. So after sealing the bg I made touch ups to other areas and am content with its retention.

IMG_3561 (resized).JPGIMG_3561 (resized).JPG

The motor board and backbox mechs were stripped and serviced including lubrication of the upper and lower score motor points. A new power cord was installed with grounding to the transformer and coin door.

IMG_3558 (resized).JPGIMG_3558 (resized).JPG

IMG_3578 (resized).JPGIMG_3578 (resized).JPG

The pf was stripped and all mechs serviced, coil sleeves replaced. Timber areas were lightly sanded and treated with a mix of shellac flakes and methylated spirits to restored the colour and then cleared with wipe on oil based poly. A non bronze pop mech was replaced with the correct unit.

IMG_3510 (resized).JPGIMG_3510 (resized).JPG

The coin door had been roughly sanded leaving scratch marks. The door was disassembled, cleaned, soaked overnight in evaporust, lightly sanded with wet & dry which did not entirely remove the scratches and clear coated. Its ok.

IMG_3568 (resized).JPGIMG_3568 (resized).JPG

IMG_3584 (resized).JPGIMG_3584 (resized).JPG

Final pics of the machine. It is always a great satisfier after a resto just how much better a machine plays-fast and true. On Super Score it takes a while to conquer the flippers given left and right buttons activate left and right on each side. Happy with resto but suspect gameplay will become fairly boring fairly quickly!

IMG_3575 (resized).JPGIMG_3575 (resized).JPG

IMG_3576 (resized).JPGIMG_3576 (resized).JPG

IMG_3573 (resized).JPGIMG_3573 (resized).JPG

IMG_3577 (resized).JPGIMG_3577 (resized).JPG

IMG_3585 (resized).JPGIMG_3585 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#2 2 years ago

Nice work, Wayne!

#3 2 years ago

Do you happen to have a “before” pic of the areas before you shellacked them?

(Or can someone point me to a thread on this technique)

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from AndrewP:

Do you happen to have a “before” pic of the areas before you shellacked them?
(Or can someone point me to a thread on this technique)

It is quite a subtle change achieved for me by mixing shellac flakes with methylated spirits until the desired tone is achieved then wiping it on the identified areas. I then cover by three coats of wipe on oil based wipe on satin clear.

IMG_3487 (resized).JPGIMG_3487 (resized).JPG

IMG_3585 (resized).JPGIMG_3585 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Franklin, VA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-1967-super-score-2-player-em-resto-notes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.