• Latest reply 2 years ago by megoman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

#1 2 years ago

I have a Gottlieb Slick Chick game I’ve been working on. Literally just fixed the final 2 or 3 small issues so game should now be working 100%.

Had to remove playfield as part of the final fix (I’ve done many times before). Reconnected the 4 Jones plugs (1 to back box / 3 to cabinet), plugged game in, hit start and NOTHING.

Manually engaged the Hold Relay - NOTHING

Reseated Jones plugs … NOTHING

Checked wall outlet - OK

Checked power cord - OK

Checked fuses - OK

Checked Cheat, Shutoff and Bounce switches.
- OK

Seems there is no power flowing. It’s got to be something simple that I’m overlooking. What is it?

Many thanks in advance for the help

#2 2 years ago

I'd start by figuring out how far power is getting into the game. Service outlet working? Power at the line cord fuse? Transformer? Any additional anti-cheat switches been added that you might not have noticed?

Anything happen if you hit the left flipper button or try to add credits?

#3 2 years ago

Thanks for the note

What was missing from my original post is that game had been working. Was fixing a few last things that had been problematic.

So, played a game. Unplugged game. Removed playfield. Removed knocker coil to inspect. No issues so put back. Cleaned a stuck score reel.

Then reconnected playfield and that’s when nothing worked.

Out of the blue there is suddenly no power after essentially only pulling off some Jones plugs and putting them back in.

#4 2 years ago

check the wires on both side of the jones plugs. Maybe a cold solder joint let loose.

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I'd start by figuring out how far power is getting into the game. Service outlet working? Power at the line cord fuse? Transformer? Any additional anti-cheat switches been added that you might not have noticed?
Anything happen if you hit the left flipper button or try to add credits?

I recommend using use a multi-meter to see where you lost power. (Continuity)
Check both sides of the circuit.
I had issues when a common Yellow wire came un-soldered.

#5 2 years ago

The tilt switch on the coin door carries 110 volts and is one place where the game will be totally dead if it isn’t conducting adequately.

#6 2 years ago

Check the tilt/slam switche(s) on the score motor board and coin door. Jumper around them, if necessary.

Ran into that on a Gottlieb machine from the same era not too long ago.

#7 2 years ago

If the Replay button doesn't trip the Start relay (SB) on the relay bank,
Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-shot-repair#post-6305153
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
Example of a pinsider actually doing this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/red-baron-tech-question#post-5858156
Be careful because this circuit runs on 120 volts

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#8 2 years ago

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Used my handy Klein Tools voltage tester. With the game plugged in there was current all throughout the game.

The only thing stopping power going to the “other rail” so to speak are the 3 cabinet switches which need to be closed (anti-cheat/shut-off/bounce).

I thoroughly went through these three switches and there was a bad connection on one of them that I must have missed when I originally looked.

With that switch now properly connected the game has powered back on.

Thank you all again for the input. Fairly new at this so learn by asking, getting help and then doing. Love Pinside.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shaker Heights, OH
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-1963-power-issue?hl=megoman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.