IMG_20201020_160634575 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201020_161527258 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201020_160514514 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hi, I'm trying to restore a 1956 Gottlieb Scoreboard. This is my first pin and I'm definitely a rookie. I was trying to figure out why none of the pop bumper lights were not working except the dead bumper light. I was using a dmm to trace. I'm not sure if I know how to use correctly. I had rebuilt the pop bumpers and they were working just the lights were not. I don't know what happened but the game is stuck on tilt. I can restart and it just goes to tilt. The tilt light comes on. Before this everything worked. Some coils were making some noise . The large coli in the bottom I thought used to stay engaged while game was on. I pushed it in and tilt light when out but the coil made a very loud buzzing noise. Any ideas on what I should do. Is it the coil or something else?

#2 3 years ago

Hi Segerfan , Welcome to pinside!!

Reply sent in private message

#3 3 years ago

I really can't figure out what happened . I was just trying to figure out why the lights were not working after rebuilding the pop bumpers with the DMM. Now nothing works. It just goes to tilt when restarted. I did lower the playfield while it was turned on and raised it back up.. Maybe that had something to do with it.

#4 3 years ago

So, before you rebuilt the pop bumpers, was the machine working as it should except for the pop bumper lites were out? And now, when you start a new game, do I understand correctly that the machine completes the startup routine and then the tilt lite for player one illuminates?

If so, I suppose it is possible that one of the tilt switches is completing a circuit to the tilt relay and that perhaps you accidentally caused one of these switches to stay closed when you were working on the pop bumpers. Do you have the schematic? I’ll check mine, but usually there are a few switches that could be responsible for this.

And with regards to the pop bumper lites, the bottom one only comes on at particular bonus values (I forget which but I think it is every four steps on the bonus stepper). And then two of the top four (diagonal pairs I think) come on one pair at a time (e.g., the upper left and bottom right and then the upper right and bottom left).

Quoted from Segerfan:

The large coli in the bottom I thought used to stay engaged while game was on. I pushed it in and tilt light when out but the coil made a very loud buzzing noise. Any ideas on what I should do. Is it the coil or something else?

I assume this is a bank reset coil. It should fire during the startup routine but not stay engaged. It would reset the tilt relays (that are part of the relay bank), but shouldn’t stay engaged. I don’t think this is your problem, but does this coil fire during the startup routine?

And raising and then lowering the playfield shouldn’t be related to your problem either.

#5 3 years ago

There are four switches that can complete the circuit to the tilt relay. These are shown in the photos below. The first one is on the bottom of the playfield next to one of the bottom pop bumpers. Perhaps this one was bent while you were working on the pop bumpers....?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#6 3 years ago

The top pop bumpers’ lites alternate via a make break switch on the A (alternating) relay (on bottom of playfield). There are a few switches on this relay, but if the lites aren’t working at all perhaps one of the wires is not attached and simply needs to be resoldered.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#7 3 years ago

Good luck!

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Segerfan:

the game is stuck on tilt. I can restart and it just goes to tilt. The tilt light comes on.

tfduda 's post above has pictures of the 4 tilt switches. Are any of them closed?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-1956-scoreboard-stuck-on-tilt-#post-5918254

#9 3 years ago

Thanks for the photos@tfduda and HowardR . The switches seem to be in the correct position. Photos attached

IMG_20201020_160514514 (resized).jpgIMG_20201020_160514514 (resized).jpgIMG_20201020_160634575 (resized).jpgIMG_20201020_160634575 (resized).jpgIMG_20201020_161527258 (resized).jpgIMG_20201020_161527258 (resized).jpg
#10 3 years ago

Damn, that would’ve been an easy fix... I closed one of those switches on my machine last night when I started up a game and it did as you described (that is, it started up but then the first player tilts). In your last photo it is hard to tell if the switch is making contact. Can you verify that it is not?

Otherwise, I will look at my machine and schematic again in a bit, but in the meanwhile, you said earlier that actuating a large coil by hand caused the tilt lite to turn off, but that the coil buzzed. I assume that you were actuating the relay bank reset coil. When you released the coil, did the tilt lite come back on again? If so, this suggests that your issue should still be related to the tilt relay. Can you check to see if the T relay is energizing during startup?

#11 3 years ago

If you'd like to try a phone call, send me your cellphone number in a private message and I'll make a first reply with a text message.

#12 3 years ago

Another culprit could be a switch on the HH relay (30V hold relay). Normally the HH relay is energized during startup. When the tilt relay engages during normal game play, it opens the circuit to the HH relay (that is the HH relay is de-energized). This would cause a make break switch on the HH relay to complete a circuit to the tilt relay of the player who is up (e.g., TB1 if player 1 is up).

If this switch is making contact even when the HH relay is energized, it would cause TB1 to energize and presumably produce the symptoms you describe. I haven’t looked in my machine, but it should be rather straightforward to see if this make break switch is adjusted properly if you watch how the switches make or break contact as you manually engage and de-engage the relay (with power off).

#13 3 years ago

I see that HowardR is offering to help over the phone. He’s very knowledgeable! If you take his offer, please let us know how you solve this!

#14 3 years ago

tfduda yes that is what happens when I pushed in the coil. The switch in the photo that is hard to see is open. I will try your other suggestion tomorrow afternoon. Thanks

#15 3 years ago

HowardR I will try to contact you tomorrow afternoon if I get a chance

#16 3 years ago

tfduda , I just got off the phone with Segerfan and the Tilt relay (T) isn't activating during startup to make it go directly to tilt. So that explains why he found that the 4 tilt switches seem to be OK.

One of the next things I want to look at is the TB1 relay (wrongly labelled T1 at 10E on the schematic) on the relay bank.
Are your relays on the bank labelled? I'd like to know whether the TB1 relay is the front or back relay on the relay bank.

Also, I grew up in Northwest Detroit and Southfield Michigan. Where are you in Metro Detroit?

#17 3 years ago

I will double check, but am pretty sure that TB1 is the first front relay in the bank.

I’m not a native Michigander, but have been here for a while now and do love many aspects of the state. I live near Ann Arbor and am grateful to have a basement! I haven’t been to Boulder, but hear many nice things about it except for the general lack of lakes!

#18 3 years ago

Yes, it is the front one.

D6BFB45B-DE7E-4AB4-BD4C-F93D5DE43A62 (resized).jpegD6BFB45B-DE7E-4AB4-BD4C-F93D5DE43A62 (resized).jpeg
#19 3 years ago

HowardR You are amazing. I learned a lot from our phone conversation. I had some time this morning . I attached the loose wire that we discovered the other night with a clip that was on the relay bank on the end first player tilt.When I turned the machine on everything came on normal although a buzzing coil could be heard. I tested some of the pop bumpers and they worked. I tested some on the playfield and a bell rang which hasn't worked before. Then the game when tilt again. I checked several relays that we looked at the other night. Now it is stuck on first player but the third player tilt light is on. When I push in on the 3rd player relay coli it buzzes loudly . I have discovered another loose wire in the top part behind the glass. A coil there was buzzing before any of the current issues started. tfduda Thanks for all the photos. I'm assuming you have the same machine. I will post the backstory on mine sometime

#20 3 years ago

Update on the 1956 Gottlieb stuck on tilt. Thanks to HowardR for the technical help and tfduda for the pictures It is no longer stuck on tilt . Also,
Most of the playfield lights are working now as well as the pop bumpers and switches. There are a few lights still not working on a couple of pop bumpers . the others alternate off and on as they should. I just need to re solder a few wires . The relay coil HH is still pretty loud. Thinking about replacing. There are lights not working behind the back glass which I will work on soon. I need to strip and refinish the wood next . I probably need too start another post. Thank to both of you I am making progress.

#21 3 years ago

Glad to hear things are coming along well!

Which pop bumper lites aren’t working?

One of the hold relays on my machine was also buzzing a bit too loudly and it turned out that the original relay was replaced with a different relay—installing the correct one reduced the buzzing. Otherwise, adjusting the switches on the relay (reducing tension), swapping the spring with one from another relay, and cleaning/sanding the latch plate where it contacts the relay (or swapping it with one from a different relay) may help.

Good luck!

#22 3 years ago

To give some closure, what we found in our phone calls was a few wires had come loose from their solder joints. In each case, in the middle of explaining how a particular circuit was supposed to work, and just getting into my plan for alligator clip jumper wires, Segerfan noticed a loose wire.

#23 3 years ago

HowardR I really appreciate your help. I will be contacting you again soon. I will need your help on some other issues Especially when I get behind the back glass. . I haven't soldered the loose wires yet. Just clipped and tested. I think there's a problem under the pop bumpers where I attached the new lamp leads when I rebuilt the pop bumpers The ground wire is broke around one and I tried to splice a piece of wire. I should have taken a close up picture on which side the wire connects. I think I will reverse. and see if it works..The way it looks the wire should be on the outside but I have it on the left side because the other way the wires would stretch across underneath the bumper switch.

#24 3 years ago

The following photos show the right side pop bumper lite connections.

The first two photos show the upper one from the right hand side with two light colored wires (SL&WH?) connected to one socket lead D6584C83-1990-4E35-A426-40D5F601DD17 (resized).jpegD6584C83-1990-4E35-A426-40D5F601DD17 (resized).jpegand a black and white wire and the bare wire attached to the other from the left hand side.
5C417E3A-ADAC-4DDA-B4DE-8BE003D88722 (resized).jpeg5C417E3A-ADAC-4DDA-B4DE-8BE003D88722 (resized).jpeg
The next two photos show the lower one from the left hand side with the bare wire attached to one lead CAE46B47-06B8-4C76-9802-DD84BBF66EE8 (resized).jpegCAE46B47-06B8-4C76-9802-DD84BBF66EE8 (resized).jpegand two light colored wires (GR&WH?) attached to the other from the right hand side.1E7E2055-C3B8-41DA-9D6D-849AFE6B7FAB (resized).jpeg1E7E2055-C3B8-41DA-9D6D-849AFE6B7FAB (resized).jpeg

Good luck!

#25 3 years ago

And now that I have my machine open, I see that the HH and R hold relays are both A-3498 relays (and the schematic confirms this).

#26 3 years ago

Thanks for the photos tfduda . Just what I needed. It was what I thought. When I rebuilt the pop bumpers I wired two of them back wrong and damaged the ground wire by one of them. I soldered all the loose connections that we found HowardR . All the lights on the playfield are working as they should. Much thanks to both of you for all your help. I'm planning on removing the backglass tomorrow . I will probably contacting you again . I will start a new thread on issues I run into.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-1956-scoreboard-stuck-on-tilt- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.