3 (resized).JPG
1 (resized).JPG
k (resized).JPG
i (resized).JPG
d (resized).JPG
c (resized).JPG
a (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

Picked up a Grand Slam around a year ago in a local online estate sale. Got into an unfortunate bidding war and ended up paying $450 for it but I saw it as a suitable challenge for my first full project. Apparently some witch had turned it into a newt...but it got better. I remember my mother jumping on the "antiquing" band wagon back in the early 70s, fortunately the antiquing layer came off easily enough that I could trace the original paint scheme for later templates. The machine had sat out in a back shed for many years and every stepper was completely frozen and required full disassembly. Many connections had separated and required re-soldering. Of course the plastics were not salvageable and bumper caps and backglass had to go. Many thanks to The Pinball Resource, BGResto and the Aussies at Pinball Rescue for providing the resources to make this sort of project possible. I am still sorting through some technical issue to get game play back to 100% but it has been a great time bringing this 67 year old bit of history back to life.

a (resized).JPGa (resized).JPGd (resized).JPGd (resized).JPGi (resized).JPGi (resized).JPGk (resized).JPGk (resized).JPGc (resized).JPGc (resized).JPG9 (resized).JPG9 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG8 (resized).JPG8 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG
#2 4 years ago

Beautiful work. Especially starting with the hideous green antiquing. And by the way, I am working on a 1972 version Grand Slam now. It started in much better condition.

#3 4 years ago

very very nice! how did you make the stencils ? i have a grandslam myself but probably wont get to it for a year or so

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Beautiful work. Especially starting with the hideous green antiquing. And by the way, I am working on a 1972 version Grand Slam now. It started in much better condition.

Thanks..good luck on your 72!

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from singlezero:

very very nice! how did you make the stencils ? i have a grandslam myself but probably wont get to it for a year or so

Once I got the green gunk off there was still enough of the original paint to trace. I overlayed frisket on all sides and traced the patterns. Then I pulled the frisket up and applied it to panels of glossy poster board cut to the size of the pinball sides, front etc., then just cut the stencils for the various colors. The final stencils I had did not stick to the wood so I did have several places that required touch up but it worked out in the end. I did refer to online pictures of the game for the areas that lost the most paint to ensure I had the basic lines right.

#6 4 years ago

Wow that is nice.like my friend singlezero,I too have a grand slam.can I ask what paint colors you used?

Ted

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from novaguy:

Wow that is nice.like my friend singlezero,I too have a grand slam.can I ask what paint colors you used?
Ted

I went with Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Gloss in Spring Green and Sun Yellow, Rust-Oleum American Accents Gloss Winter Gray and American Accents Rustic Orange Satin. Really did not spend a lot of time shopping the colors, those were available at the local Lowes.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-1953-grand-slam-resurrection-?hl=battlebugs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.