(Topic ID: 60956)

Gottlieb 17875 to 20095 flipper upgrade?

By Vannos

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blownfuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 10 years ago

I find that rebuilding the flipper assemblies work fine but swapping to stronger coils works too if needed. I would probably not do this swap on any flipper coils that are in close proximity to drop targets though.

Steve

#4 10 years ago

The yellow and red Gottlieb flipper coils are interchangeable, physical size is almost the same between the two. Wire gauge and amounts of windings determine strength and hold inside the coil. Heat has nothing to do with coil strength per say but can weaken or damage a coil due to extra resistance as it overheats. If a flipper coil is getting hot, something else is usually contributing to it.

The problem I see is that the red coil is a lot stronger and can break parts like drop targets or plastic sets that are too close. If you look at most manuals, Gottlieb didn't use red coils near drop targets already because of this. If anyone choses to go to a stronger flipper coil, they do it at their own risk since some plastic parts can't be easily replaced. I'd rather rebuild a flipper assembly than replace hard to find parts.

Another trick to get more power out of the flippers and kickers on some of the System 80 games is to add another 10,000 mfd 40VDC capacitor to the 24VDC bridge rectifier. I don't advise this for long term but it's fun to see how strong one change will make the game. Some system 80 games that split the controlled (24VDC) and uncontrolled coils already have this cap installed (38VDC) from the factory (HH comes to mind here).

Steve

System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

Quoted from Muppet_Man:

Is this because of heat or because of the physical size?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Township, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 7.50
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blownfuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-17875-to-20095-flipper-upgrade?tu=blownfuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.