Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by wiredoug
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Batcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi all!
I have a 1980 Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man that is blowing the 1/4A SB fuse when turned on. I have a brand new rotten dog power supply and determined that when only the A2 power supply is connected it does not blow. However, I have not yet got this game to boot so I am unsure where to test next. Could a bad MPU cause the display 1/4 amp fuse to blow?

Any help is much appreciated,
Thanks

Batcade

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Sounds like a dead short to me if you're saying it blows immediately when turned on.

Well no, the displays light up for a few seconds and then go out (I am assuming at that point the fuse blows).

I have now confirmed it only blows when the A2-J3 connector is connected, but seems to me this is where the displays get their power from so that makes sense. I am just not sure how to diagnose this, I am assuming maybe a display is bad but not sure how to test a display?

#5 4 years ago

How do you verify the MPU is getting 5V? power supply is good but I wanted to test the cable connection but my alligator clips won’t fit into the connector pins.. is there a test point on the MPU I could check?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

To verify 5V at the CPU -- measure directly across capacitor C1 near J1.
But YeOldPinPlayer had the link to what you should be following.
Disconnect all displays - verify display 60V/42V outputs. Then install displays one at a time and re-verify voltages (turn machine off when pulling/installing plugs!). This should hopefully narrow things down.

It’s wierd, I cant isolate a single display. The 1/4 A fuse only blows when all 4 displays are hooked up. P1 and P2 work, P3 and P4 work if all p1-p4 are plugged in, she blows.

#9 4 years ago

Okay, through trial and error, plugging only one display in at a time, I discovered two of the displays don't light up at all, and when one of those displays were plugged in with a working display the fuse blew. So I am going to consider the two displays that don't light up compromised (although this doesn't fee very scientific).

Ultimately I may have to source 4 all new displays (maybe new LED) so I can be sure they are okay.

Looks like my A2 to A1 power cable is toast as well, does anyone know where to source a new one?

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Okay now take one of the displays you know works and put it in each display spot one at a time 1,2,3,4 and see if it lights in all four positions. This will help eliminate the connectors to some degree as the problem. Look at the displays that don't work, notice any burn, check to see if solder is bridging any components, are they gassed out.

Yep, they are not lit even when moved so it’s definately not a connector issue which would probably have been easier to fix vs sourcing new displays.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Can you get to your diagnostics? If you can it would also help if you could put the two displays that light in 1,2 first and roll through the test. Your looking to see if any of the digits come up missing segments when it goes through the digit test; test both 1,2 and then 3,4. This will help rule out a bad chip on the MPU which if bad could cause the display to go out.

I haven’t been able to get 5V to the MPU yet, need to order a new VREG cable, would this affect the displays in terms of blowing the 1/4Amp fuse?

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

To verify 5V at the CPU -- measure directly across capacitor C1 near J1.
But YeOldPinPlayer had the link to what you should be following.
Disconnect all displays - verify display 60V/42V outputs. Then install displays one at a time and re-verify voltages (turn machine off when pulling/installing plugs!). This should hopefully narrow things down.

Thanks,
Do you happen to sell the connectors for the A2-J2 to A1 cable? Specifically I think it is a 6 pin connector with one of the pins filled in to prevent the connector being installed in the wrong way?

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

For System 80 --
J2 on the power supply requires a 6 pin plug with one keying pin at position 3
Couple options --
Molex 09-50-8061 with key 15-04-0297
or
Generic CS156-06-LR with key 15-04-0219
Contacts -- probably just go with 08-52-0113 for both plugs.
At CPU end -- 09-01-6051 (obsolete).
I have some remaining but there is a new Molex alternate for this one. I'll stock this one eventually.
For contacts -- 08-52-0072
For some of these - the connector bodies can be reused even if the original was an IDC type plug. Doesn't make much sense for the header type plugs (e.g. CS156) as the replacements are inexpensive. But for the edge connectors - we may need to go this route in the near future.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=37
Ed

Perfect, Thank you!

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

For System 80 --
J2 on the power supply requires a 6 pin plug with one keying pin at position 3
Couple options --
Molex 09-50-8061 with key 15-04-0297
or
Generic CS156-06-LR with key 15-04-0219
Contacts -- probably just go with 08-52-0113 for both plugs.
At CPU end -- 09-01-6051 (obsolete).
I have some remaining but there is a new Molex alternate for this one. I'll stock this one eventually.
For contacts -- 08-52-0072
For some of these - the connector bodies can be reused even if the original was an IDC type plug. Doesn't make much sense for the header type plugs (e.g. CS156) as the replacements are inexpensive. But for the edge connectors - we may need to go this route in the near future.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=37
Ed

Hi Ed,
You mentioned "Contacts -- probably just go with 08-52-0113 for both plugs.", but I noticed on your website it says "Not for use with edge type connectors.", Can I indeed use these pins for the edge connector at MPU connection for 09-01-6051?

Could you also what the differences are between the trifurcon pins and the non trifurcon?

2 weeks later
#21 4 years ago

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use to replace 24 pin and 19-pin molex edge connectors: 09-01-6241 & 09-01-6191? I've seen reference some people saying to reuse the original IDC connectors with new crimp pins, but I am uncertain how that would work.

#23 4 years ago

Thanks Ed, I've seen somewhere online selling something called an AMP 19 pin edge connector using bi-furcated pins... would this work? How would the bifurcon pins work compare to the regular pins?

#24 4 years ago

My delemma is that my existing 19 pin and 24 pin housings are corroded to the point where it is quite difficult to get the pins out (the wires fall right off the pin) so there is nothing to use as leverage to yank the old pins out

1 week later
#26 4 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

I don't see why the AMP versions won't work. Haven't ever tried it, though.
These are also obsolete in larger sizes and getting harder to find. I have some 24's left:
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=128
Bifurcated contacts -- split down middle. Supposedly for use with surface areas that may not be perfectly flat (such as edge connectors).

Hi Ed,
Trying to find 08-52-0072 on your site and it doesn't seem to show, are you all out of these now? Looks like you are out of the trifurcon ones as well?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Township, NJ
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Batcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-1-4-amp-sb-fuse-blowing?tu=Batcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.