(Topic ID: 175264)

Gottlieb´s ORBIT (1971) Ball won´t eject!

By Flippersammlung

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

zOrbit-Work-01 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hi everyone,
I know that nearly the exact topic was put on the forum about 4 years ago but now I´m referring to a Gottlieb´s ORBIT from 1971...with the infamous Relay Bank ....and the solution from the ROYAL FLUSH-Topic really doesn´t help here ....
When I start the game, the score and the Bonus Unit are resetting completely and the big relay bank solenoid resets the bank. But in the same second the game Over Relay Drops in and prevents the ball from being kicked out to the shooter lane. Till now I haven´t been able to find out WHY the game "thinks" it should turn to "Game Over" no matter if I´ve got credits on the Play meter or not. I checked all Reset Bank contacts and they were ok! Is there any other source I should pay attention to ?
Thanks a lot in advance + Best wishes from Germany
Matt

#2 7 years ago

Hi Matt
infamous Relay Bank ? You mean the "loved Control-Bank" ? - about the "AX-, BX- etc. Interlock-Relays here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ax-bx-dx-relayswho-hates-these ...

I believe You either have AAA or BBB or CCC or DDD.
AAA: The R-Hold-Relay NEVER pulls-in - the coil on the relay may be bad or the wiring is bad.
BBB: The R-Relay does pull-in - Yes, R-Relay pulls-in as the S-Start-Relay pulls-in --- BUT the R-Relay also "let go" at the time (somewhat later in the Start-Procedure) when the S-Relay let go.
CCC: The R-Relay is nice and behaves - it pulls-in and it stays pulling forever (well stay pulling until You toggle-of the main power switch) --- BUT a Switch on R-Relay IS FAULTY.
DDD: well maybe - but I doubt this rather strange fault: You have a fault on XB-Last-Ball-Relay combined with O-Ball-Return-Relay.

Whenever You just look into the pin or when You work on the pin: Toggle-off the pin - MUCH BETTER: UNPLUG the 220 Volt power cord (Safety Reasons - 220VAC, 110VAC, 24VAC, 6VAC can kill You !!! The "Coil resetting the Control-Bank is operated by 110VAC !!!").

Toggle-off the pin, unplug the main power cord. Manually RESET the Control-Bank - doing so You make the pin cnange to state "I am at end of Start-Up-Procedure - I am IN PLAY - I am ready to play Ball-1, Player-1".
In the Control-Bank WATCH the Game-Over-Relay - plug-in and toggle-on --- see the Game-Over-Relay plunge / move ? This phenomena is WANTED --- Gottlieb WANTS to have the pin in "Game-Over" (when toggling on the main power switch) - so the Gottlieb-Pin then shall easily start a new game.

Now watch the R-Hold-Relay - it is not pulling. Start a new game - the S-Start-Relay will pull-in --- question: DOES the R-Relay pull-in ? IF (if) "No": You have "AAA".
Keep-on looking at the R-Relay - does after some time the R-Relay LET GO (stops pulling) ? IF (if) "Yes": You have "BBB".
IF (if) "No - the R-Relay does not let go --- means it is nice and friendly - it stays pulling: You must investigate in (my JPG, encircled red, 3-bladed, ) the Make-and-Brake-Switch on R-Relay. When the R-Relay is pulling: The middle blade (having soldered-on wire-red-white) MUST have - must have ONLY contact to the blade-having-soldered-on-wire-red-green. When the R-Relay is pulling: The middle blade is not allowed to have contact with the blade-having-soldered-on-wire-maroon(brown)-green !!! (faulty contact / connection to maroon-green CAUSES Your "strange fault", means "CCC").

(((The "DDD" would be (my JPG, encircled orange stuff) --- please first look for AAA, BBB, CCC and report, ))) greetings Rolf

zOrbit-Work-01 (resized).jpgzOrbit-Work-01 (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

If the game recognizes game-over, and states such on the backglass even before the player unit finishes resetting, (the unit will take 2-3 motor revs to step through to ball-1, from ball-1 of the previous game), it's probably a tilt switch, either in the head, or the roll tilt.

#4 7 years ago

Or a hold relay/short issue.

#5 7 years ago

Hi everyone,
thanks a lot for your replies!! I'll be checking all things on Monday.
Best wishes
Matt

#6 7 years ago

Hi again
Seems that its obviously AAA The coil on the R Relay is “dead“.
Thanks again for the advice !
Best wishes Matt

#7 7 years ago

Hi Matt
the "AAA" is: Coil is bad --- OR the wiring is bad. There is a nice way to test the coil: Here http://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/emTips.html go to HERE http://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip0124.html , greetings Rolf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb%c2%b4s-orbit-1971-ball-won%c2%b4t-eject and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.