(Topic ID: 222396)

Gottlieb Waterworld Club -- Watcha got to trade for some Dirt?

By TractorDoc

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 177 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Bcanz
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5573 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5401 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5402 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5398 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5034 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20220511_215621 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220511_210418 (resized).jpg
ww final (resized).jpg
20210421_182326 (resized).jpg
20210421_182335 (resized).jpg
E62E2462-566E-4F2F-A6A3-1D39577142BC (resized).jpeg
DB4C750F-8675-47F8-B6B0-67884490C97F (resized).jpeg
20200813_125910_HDR (resized).jpg
20200630_165808 (resized).jpg
20200630_165804 (resized).jpg
20200630_162100~2 (resized).jpg
There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 5 years ago

So I like end of the world apocalyptic type movies.

They never made a Road Warrior Pin so I brought home Waterworld.

5J5A0654A (resized).JPG5J5A0654A (resized).JPG

Doubt this thread will see a lot of (positive?) activity but so far I am liking the game. I am finding there is a lot more to it than some reviews suggest -- a fast paced sleeper bargain priced compared to some others out there.

It would be better to have more elements incorporated from the movie -- I'd be all for seeing some spam, whiskey, and Black Death cigarettes on the playfield vs. sharks and octopuses.

#3 5 years ago

One of the few of this Era Gottliebs I would purchase, strictly based on Theme as I've never played it. I never see one for sale.

#4 5 years ago

Fun game! Doesn't have an auto plunger so you don't get any ball save or add a ball in multi ball. That's really its biggest drawback, considering it's from '95. Had a lot of fun with it in the time I owned it.

#5 5 years ago

It was my first game! Really like it, and I’ve owned two, but don’t have one at the moment. The code goes deeper than most people know!

#6 5 years ago

Looks like a fun game. The movie isn't that bad.

#7 5 years ago

Looking for someone with a Waterworld who has this ball guide that's missing on mine. I just need to know how long it is? I'm custom making my own so I would like the correct measurements. Thanks a bunch.

IMG_20180809_204418 (resized).jpgIMG_20180809_204418 (resized).jpg
#8 5 years ago

This game is grossly underrated, in my opinion. Nice rule set, hard to complete both paths of the adventure, multiball, good flow. Like others have said, the movie being considered one of the all time bombs did not help, nor did the machine launching months after the movies release. Everyone who gives the machine a try enjoys it.

I did do one small change to the settings, I made sink the Deez obtainable only by completing three in a row on the board, its not in the random awards anymore so you really have to work for the four ball multiball instead of it just being given to you. I am waiting for someone to retheme a Waterworld into a Stranger Things; when the Deez flips you enter The Upside Down and have to get all four kids together to escape. It would be pretty sweet, imho.

If you have not had the chance, check out the extended directors cut as it improves the movie greatly. It is almost like another movie complete with "different" ending.

#9 5 years ago

@glycerin I will try to get that measurement for you tonight.

Here is my small corner of pinball heaven.

IMG_6631 (resized).jpgIMG_6631 (resized).jpg
#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Epistaxis:Looking for someone with a Waterworld who has this ball guide that's missing on mine. I just need to know how long it is?

I measure 3 1/4 inches by approximately 1 1/4 inches tall.

5J5A0701 (resized).JPG5J5A0701 (resized).JPG

I owe you a Thank You @Glycerin -- taking this measurement revealed that my guide has one of the tabs broken at the base.

5J5A0699 (resized).JPG5J5A0699 (resized).JPG

The guide was pushed in towards the drop targets and during game play the ball returning from the left side would drain down the middle 50% of the time. I just thought that was a way of taking people's quarters. . . but it may have just been the guide.

Quoted from Matesamo:

This game is grossly underrated, in my opinion.

Completely agree. The more I play it, the more I like it. I'm sure it could just be the honeymoon phase but learning the ruleset has really upped the "just one more game" mindset.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I measure 3 1/4 inches by approximately 1 1/4 inches tall.
[quoted image]
I owe you a Thank You Glycerin -- taking this measurement revealed that my guide has one of the tabs broken at the base.
[quoted image]
The guide was pushed in towards the drop targets and during game play the ball returning from the left side would drain down the middle 50% of the time. I just thought that was a way of taking people's quarters. . . but it may have just been the guide.

Completely agree. The more I play it, the more I like it. I'm sure it could just be the honeymoon phase but learning the ruleset has really upped the "just one more game" mindset.

Thanks I appreciate this a bunch. Yeah that ball guide is notoriously known for being missing or broken on all Waterworlds. I know one other guy with the same machine, and his is also missing.

#12 5 years ago

I want a Color DMD! Anybody know if they are planning on making one?

#13 5 years ago

my buddy has one and i like it

not a deep game but a very specific way to play it to get huge scores. cant mess up how you fill out the tic tac toe board.

id buy one if one came up for sale around me for their going rate

#14 5 years ago

I was fortunate enough to get a NOS playfield from Steve Young(PBR). I added a Dennis Hopper figure, made a translite and got an early on laseriffic topper (LED Color changing). I hope they come out with a color DMD for it.

Hopper (resized).jpgHopper (resized).jpgPF (resized).jpgPF (resized).jpgTranslite:Topper (resized).jpgTranslite:Topper (resized).jpg
#15 5 years ago

I second your request for a color DMD. That is an excellent looking Waterworld, talk about tricked out!

The only blemish on mine is there is wear by the flippers where they were misadjusted and wore down the playfield. I wonder how a printed decal for the area would look.

1 month later
#16 5 years ago

Does anyone have any tips for keeping the two middle drop targets from launching massive airballs? I was thinking about shimming the mechanism from the bottom with a couple washers to rake the targets forward a bit.

1 week later
#17 5 years ago

Hello all! I recently acquired a Waterworld machine and am pretty sure it is not working correctly. However, hard to be 100% sure since you can score a 2 ball multiball on the skillshot. The machine gives balls out like it is Christmas!!!! Sometimes even before the ball gets out of the initial ramp upon plunging, another ball pops out to the plunger. I thought maybe a switch was out of whack and triggering multiball for hitting the skillshots, however it usually is just Hopper's voice saying, "You get another chance!". Sometimes, it advances the ball play count by 1. Has anyone ran into this with this machine or another Gottlieb System 3? If so, I would appreciate pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks!

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from dhofman8080:

Hello all! I recently acquired a Waterworld machine and am pretty sure it is not working correctly. However, hard to be 100% sure since you can score a 2 ball multiball on the skillshot. The machine gives balls out like it is Christmas!!!! Sometimes even before the ball gets out of the initial ramp upon plunging, another ball pops out to the plunger. I thought maybe a switch was out of whack and triggering multiball for hitting the skillshots, however it usually is just Hopper's voice saying, "You get another chance!". Sometimes, it advances the ball play count by 1. Has anyone ran into this with this machine or another Gottlieb System 3? If so, I would appreciate pointing me in the right direction.
Thanks!

You’ll want to start by going into system test and see if there are any bad switches or optos. You get there via having the game on, and opening the coin door. There’s some buttons inside there

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

This game is grossly underrated, in my opinion.

Yeah, no. There are certain games that are truly underrated, Waterworld is definitely not one of them. I actually think the movie isn't half bad, maybe even underrated if not bloated (Wasn't it one of the most expensive movies to make?)

With that said, I REALLY wanted to like Waterworld when I bought one, but the game is a total snoozer with not only uninspired rules, but shots that aren't worth shooting for that don't do much. There are layers in the code deep within the game that are interesting, but they don't do a whole hell of a lot and the whole concept of trading dirt is poorly executed. It's right up there with Gilligans Island, it's that bad.

If you love mindless pinball that a drunk must of coded, then maybe Waterworld is for you.

#20 5 years ago

This is the Waterworld club... Not the trash Waterworld thread.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

This is the Waterworld club... Not the trash Waterworld thread.

This is a public forum, rookie, and I have a right to share my opinion as well. Don't like it? TS.

#22 5 years ago

Typical Pinside troll.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Typical Pinside troll.

Say what you want, it's not going to change how lousy the code is

#24 5 years ago

For those who were attempting to help out! I appreciate it! Rookie mistake on my part.....I picked this up at auction and did not even think to check the number of balls in the machine. It had 1 too many and was spitting the extra one out thinking the previous was drained.

#25 5 years ago

Just a moderation comment.

This is a club thread - we tend to moderate those in a "Don't piss on my cornflakes" sort of way.

Negative posts would be accepted to answer a thread "I can get a Waterworld game at a decent price... should I buy it?" (as long as one is not trolling).

But generally not here. (May be "I owned one, but it grew old fast because of XX" or "I had too many technical issues with this game" or "Not my favorite GTB").

Safe haven for Waterworld owners... even YOU deserve one!

NB: for the twisted souls: a "Waterworld haters club" won't be tolerated

#26 5 years ago

I'm not sure I'd call a comment about rules being shallow "piss on my cornflakes". Can't say I've ever really played waterworld but I do look at these club threads to learn more about games. Hearing that waterworld has code that isn't very deep isn't exactly a giant knock against the game.

Quoted from jlm33:

Just a moderation comment.
This is a club thread - we tend to moderate those in a "Don't piss on my cornflakes" sort of way.
Negative posts would be accepted to answer a thread "I can get a Waterworld game at a decent price... should I buy it?" (as long as one is not trolling).
But generally not here. (May be "I owned one, but it grew old fast because of XX" or "I had too many technical issues with this game" or "Not my favorite GTB").
Safe haven for Waterworld owners... even YOU deserve one!
NB: for the twisted souls: a "Waterworld haters club" won't be tolerated

#27 5 years ago

Waterworld is the second worst gottlieb DMD, only behind r911

#28 5 years ago

I have way more fun playing waterworld than gladiators....it’s all opinion but why be in the waterworld club and be a negative Nancy?

The code is deeper than most give it credit for, but no one wants to put the time in to explore it.

#29 5 years ago

At the top of this page there is a play guide that is excellent as it explains the different modes, the branching storylines and more.

2 weeks later
#30 5 years ago

Hello guys.

As I have already said in another thread I am new in pinball. Big fun of the movie and this my first pinball.

However we had to go through a massive repair project. We even found a bee nest behind the title glass.

Before and after pictures bellow.

20181104_223035 (resized).jpg20181104_223035 (resized).jpg20181104_223043 (resized).jpg20181104_223043 (resized).jpg20181104_223049 (resized).jpg20181104_223049 (resized).jpg20181105_002213 (resized).jpg20181105_002213 (resized).jpg20181105_002217 (resized).jpg20181105_002217 (resized).jpg20181105_002229 (resized).jpg20181105_002229 (resized).jpg20181105_002237 (resized).jpg20181105_002237 (resized).jpgIMG-084ac6cd8da5d799fcf7090000339ebf-V (resized).jpgIMG-084ac6cd8da5d799fcf7090000339ebf-V (resized).jpgIMG-12bea3deba7f77384221df34a12919d4-V (resized).jpgIMG-12bea3deba7f77384221df34a12919d4-V (resized).jpgIMG-2e26fc768e3660fc81cec8213a1fcfb3-V (resized).jpgIMG-2e26fc768e3660fc81cec8213a1fcfb3-V (resized).jpgIMG-4cdc59c07a05283a6e2d935d0c3f93b9-V (resized).jpgIMG-4cdc59c07a05283a6e2d935d0c3f93b9-V (resized).jpgIMG-5f87d93666164c527cbe609a6da92cf6-V (resized).jpgIMG-5f87d93666164c527cbe609a6da92cf6-V (resized).jpgIMG-f78cc16da2a5e5aa180f5e656cb9896a-V (resized).jpgIMG-f78cc16da2a5e5aa180f5e656cb9896a-V (resized).jpg
#31 5 years ago

Man I wish someone made decals for the common flipper wear on this machine to cover the wear spots.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

Man I wish someone made decals for the common flipper wear on this machine to cover the wear spots.

Agreed. Mine are bare wood. Only unsightly part of the machine. Id pay $20 for that...

#33 5 years ago

Mine has the wear at the flippers too. I have a NOS playfield and will be doing my first playfield swap at some point.

#34 5 years ago

Why is this machine so much worse than seemingly any other machine for flipper wear? Were they shipped from new with 1/2" flipper rubbers or something? The dithering in the colors makes fixing this by hand quite a job.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Mine has the wear at the flippers too. I have a NOS playfield and will be doing my first playfield swap at some point.

Any chance we could get you to scan the flipper area in a high rez format before you do the swap? I would like to try and make decals for it.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

Any chance we could get you to scan the flipper area in a high rez format before you do the swap? I would like to try and make decals for it.

Yeah. I will try and remember to grab the playfield the next time I go down to my climate controlled storage unit. I already cleared it.

1 month later
#37 5 years ago

Really Very happy for that guys!!!

I bit it at last

1,629,425,879 high score!!!!!!!!

20181217_172613 (resized).jpg20181217_172613 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#38 5 years ago

Hi all. I just purchased WW. It’s my first pin and was working great until the ball went into the harpoon slot. It shot out once. The second time it fired, but not hard enough to go up the ramp. Now it won’t fire. It keeps saying “fire the harpoon” and finally the screen says call service.
Wondering if I have to replace the solenoid which one to get, where, and how do you install?
Thanks

8D733589-A644-4E99-8FF0-DF571F1525B7 (resized).jpeg8D733589-A644-4E99-8FF0-DF571F1525B7 (resized).jpegAAC09EBE-C7D3-4093-8436-887AF537E40E (resized).jpegAAC09EBE-C7D3-4093-8436-887AF537E40E (resized).jpeg
#39 5 years ago
Quoted from SitE:

Hi all. I just purchased WW. It’s my first pin and was working great until the ball went into the harpoon slot. It shot out once. The second time it fired, but not hard enough to go up the ramp. Now it won’t fire. It keeps saying “fire the harpoon” and finally the screen says call service.
Wondering if I have to replace the solenoid which one to get, where, and how do you install?
Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image]

Welcome to the club! First off it looks like the wrong coil is installed. However you should check the switch as well. If you look on pinball resource, call or email they can help you get a part(s) however Marco specialties may have them too.

#40 5 years ago

There was a service notice to swap the harpoon coil with the left slingshot coil. Or just get one the same as your sling shots.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from SitE:

Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image]

That's the wrong coil. Check the switch first. It does not cost much and you can find it anywhere. If this does not work then replace the coil with the original.

#42 5 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll mess around with the switch first to see if that will work. The 2 contacts on the switch are not touching would that matter?
Can you recommend tools I should have to help me replace these types of parts?

#43 5 years ago

I believe this is the switch you are referring to. Looking at the ones for the flippers this one doesn’t look good.
Looks easy enough to replace so I’ll give it a shot.

85AB8B2F-A31C-437F-A399-AD42C274CAEA (resized).jpeg85AB8B2F-A31C-437F-A399-AD42C274CAEA (resized).jpeg
#44 5 years ago
Quoted from SitE:

I believe this is the switch you are referring to. Looking at the ones for the flippers this one doesn’t look good.
Looks easy enough to replace so I’ll give it a shot.
[quoted image]

Is that photo showing the switch being closed? It is hard to tell from that angle. I'm not sure that switch should be making contact in the resting position. If it is touching, try bending the outside tab back straight so there is a small gap when the switch is at rest. You can use the shorter thick metal tab to help hold that thinner tab away from the inside contact. Then actuate the switch from the playfield side and make sure the faces make contact. Also take a businees card and put it between the contacts, press on the contacts and pull the card out. That will clean stray gunk off the contacts. I can take a picture of mine tonight if you need more help.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Is that photo showing the switch being closed? It is hard to tell from that angle. I'm not sure that switch should be making contact in the resting position. If it is touching, try bending the outside tab back straight so there is a small gap when the switch is at rest. You can use the shorter thick metal tab to help hold that thinner tab away from the inside contact. Then actuate the switch from the playfield side and make sure the faces make contact. Also take a businees card and put it between the contacts, press on the contacts and pull the card out. That will clean stray gunk off the contacts. I can take a picture of mine tonight if you need more help.

JodyG is right. That switch should be "open" aka not touching with no ball in the harpoon. WHen the ball goes into the harpoon it should close the switch , thus activating the coil to fire.

SiTe - invest in a switch adjustment tool! They are handy dandy!
https://www.pinballlife.com/ultimate-leaf-adjuster-tool.html

#46 5 years ago

Here is what mine looks like.

20190320_210643 (resized).jpg20190320_210643 (resized).jpg
#47 5 years ago

Does anyone know the switch and solenoid part # I would need for the harpoon shooter?
A lot of them look alike.
Thanks

2 weeks later
#48 5 years ago

Well, I changed out the switch and coil but still no luck with the harpoon. I can rack up several points but it won’t shoot out.
Does anyone have other suggestions on what to do?

#49 5 years ago

I’m posting a picture of the solenoid I got for the harpoon. I went through the single test and this is the only coil not firing. I added a block of wood in the area to keep the ball out until I can figure another solution.

ABBCC437-609B-49DC-A101-ECB8D30EA782 (resized).jpegABBCC437-609B-49DC-A101-ECB8D30EA782 (resized).jpeg
#50 5 years ago
Quoted from SitE:

I’m posting a picture of the solenoid I got for the harpoon. I went through the single test and this is the only coil not firing. I added a block of wood in the area to keep the ball out until I can figure another solution.
[quoted image]

If you can’t fire the coil in test but other coils work. May be the transistor. You can test via a dmm, and look in the manual to see which transistor.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-test-a-transistor

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bremerton, WA
2,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottleib-waterworld-club-watcha-got-to-trade-for-some-dirt?hl=tractordoc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.