(Topic ID: 224245)

Gottleib System 80 (HH) Only displaying ODD NUMBERS!

By sneakerpin

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180830_150437 (resized).jpg
20180830_150354 (resized).jpg
20180830_150336 (resized).jpg
20180830_145452 (resized).jpg
20180830_091441 (resized).jpg
20180830_092050 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
20180828_233426 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

possibly an MPU issue. The CPU sends out the digits as BCD (4 digit binary) through an inverter (Z18) to three three BCD decoders (Z19,21,23) which are what output the actual segments to the displays. If the lowest binary bit was locked on it would force all numbers to display as odd, so I'd suspect the Z18 inverter or the U5 RIOT chip driving it of having a bad output, or maybe a bad trace/connection between them

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#5 5 years ago

I'm not sure which way it would read, but I'd expect that if this was the issue, especially if you get multiple digits displaying, that you'd see pulsing on the D2,3,4 lines, but D1 (U5-24, Z18-8,9) would stay high or low (Z17-8 and 9 should be the opposite of each other)

5V+Ground should be the same anywhere.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from sneakerpin:

Getting home, I did a bit more digging, and dug as deep as I could into the schematic, and truth tables on the IC datasheets.
I deciphered the signals as follows, and I could be wrong in places, so if anyone wants to correct me, I'd learn more:
The 6502 issues the address and data signals of scoring, and lamps and solenoids, etc. for the entire system. Each RIOT chip is like a Peripheral Interface Adapter chip, or "PIA" as known in Williams System 11 games.
The specific 6532 (RIOT), in the scoring case, is U5 (6532-2) and depending on which clock cycles of the 6502, is engaged with refreshing ALL of the display information and this happens repeatedly as long as the game is on.
U5 has two bi-directional 8-bit peripheral busses to drive all five 6-segment displays and the one 4-segment display in Haunted House. Bus B Handles the bit pattern to determine segment pattern of each digit (0-9), while Bus A handles the strobe, or "frozen/latched" segment pattern of each digit (position 0-5).
For SEGMENTS:
Working a bit backwards, the 7448 IC's have a 4-bit input to drive all of the segments to create 0-9
Prior to the 7448, there is a 74175 D-Flip Flop, it's job is to "latch" the 4-bit BCD so that other clock cycles of the system don't clear the segment pattern going to the 7448. The output of the flip flop is inverted back to what it was supposed to be (Q!), because the input of the flip flop is also inverted.
The 7404 inverter preceding the flip flop is used as a buffer?
The 7404 receives it's 4-bit BCD from the RIOT, and coupled with the RIOT's A bus doing the digit strobing, we have our display logic in a nutshell (I hope I got this right)
So, I'm really down to the 7404 (Z16), pin 9 (input) and 8 (output). If the output remains HIGH, I will not see even digits displayed because the truth table of the 7448 tells me so. Since the 74175 acts only to preserve BCD data between refresh cycles, and all score displays act the same, the problem might just end up with a simple inverter chip. Oh man.
BTW, while the B bus of U5 appears strictly for driving segments... the A bus has other data lines that appear to control "Segment h" (The extra "1" on each 6 segment display) and also the notorious SLAM SWITCH, as well as some "enable input" lines going to the switch matrix.
@zacaj, you've done well. I haven't troubleshot this deep since the early '90s. Man, this was fun looking at datasheets and schematics!
I hope to find my set of "chip clips" buried in the garage, as I am really nervous about testing the board by leaning over the cabinet and having that damn back box door in the way... I suppose if I had a real pin repair work space, I'd have a spare PSU on the bench...
I'll try to do this tomorrow.
Thanks again, @zacaj. I hope this thread helps another baffled 7-segment display pinhead!
Tim

That all sounds right to me! I assume the inverter is just so all those other chips aren't drawing directly off the riot...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottleib-system-80-hh-only-displaying-odd-numbers?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.