Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Blake.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 2 years ago

The fact that it was working when you bought it and not when you got it home screams "bad connections". And as you have already mentioned, system 80 games are known for having poorly constructed harness/pins/connectors. One of the easiest/quickest/cheapest steps you can take to make these connections better is to clean the finger board contacts (edge of pcb where connector attaches) with a fiber glass eraser. This is constantly an issue as they become tarnished, resistance builds up and signals are lost or floating. Don't use sand paper, don't use an eraser, get a fiber glass eraser and clean them properly.

From there you want to remove and physically look at each connectors pins and determine if they are tarnished, bent down, broken or loose. Pins that are not inline with the majority of others are probably worn/bent down and need to be removed, either using a pin remover tool or bobby pin, paper clip, exc. and then cleaned/bent back to their original position so they can make firm contact with the board edge contacts. If they don't feel springy or look rough they may need to be replaced. Specifically the power and ground pins are your main culprits. Most of the other logic signals are low voltage lines that probably have little to no damage on the pins. Confirm continuity with your meter on every pin or connection that is suspect.

Do these steps first before repinning every connector. Pack a lunch if thats your plan as it will take a while.

For your sound board, its good that its outputting in test as that means the amp is good. I don't have time to look at a schematic right now but I'm curious if the input signals during a game are not getting through to the board. Maybe a bad buffer on the CPU?

For your drop targets, do they ever reset? During the start of a game? Or are they down 100% of the time? If down all the time check your reset coil for both power, ohm, and leads. Make sure the leads from the windings or the wire harness leads are not broke off the lugs. If all good then confirm/test associated driver board power and pre driver transistor.

1 week later
    #8 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Don't use a fiberglass eraser or sandpaper. It thins the material. Instead, use a pink rubber eraser. That cleans off the grime without harming the contacts.

Fiberglass erasers are used on IC pins everyday. They are NOT like sandpaper. And do a better job then any eraser in 1/10 the time.

#9 2 years ago

I’ll add that whenever your cleaning any contacts (legs on ICs, edge contacts (finger board), pins in a harness, pins on a board) spray deoxit on the cleaned area afterwards. Specifically with ICs if you insert the IC into the socket it cleans the female pins of the sockets.

This is the best way to clean pins and contacts and decreases resistance as well. Always wait to power up until dry. Blow it out with some canned air if in doubt.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

No they aren't. There are a few people who really like using them, but they are abrasive and really shouldn't be used on thin materials such as edge connector contacts. You're just putting additional wear on the material for no reason.
    An eraser does a fine job. A couple rubs, and the grime is gone and no harm is done to the material.

No, detoxit is unnecessary. It's pretty much just naphtha.
    If you really have some gunk that can't be wiped away, isopropyl alcohol is fine.
    Deoxit doesn't offer any magical protection or whatnot.

Disagree.

There is an industry of technicians/repairman using fiberglass erasers and have been for decades. The goal is to remove oxidation not the plating. Fiberglass erasers work great for that. If someone continues to use it on one contact well after removing the oxidation then they might need to understand better what it is they are trying to accomplish. If that’s what your referring to when you say “grime” then again I disagree and highly recommend swapping out the #2 pencil for the proper tool to do the job.

Deoxit is great for its cleaning ability. Not magic. But helpful in tight spots like sockets. Spray on the IC legs after cleaning and insert into socket. Remove and let dry/blow out then resocket. If connections are still poor swap in new sockets as they are more then dirty. Wiping down finger contacts after cleaning mechanically provides further cleaning.

#12 2 years ago

ForceFlow

Missed your T2 this year at the Saratoga pinball show.

You make it to pintastic this year?

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I brought it to the silverball show this past summer. Still plays great
    //<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"bda3fa29756f959ad510e063ac28288a15254837-1640352941-1800"};
    //]]>

You make it to pintastic this year?

Just on Friday--I had other events happening on Saturday. So, I didn't end up bringing a game this year.

I must have missed it. Loved playing it in past years. Nicest T2 I’ve seen/played.

We went Saturday. Although nowhere near as many pins in the free play room as years past, still plenty to do and enjoy.

Merry Christmas

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Blake.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottleib-system-80-caveman-sound-issue?tu=Blake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.