Gottleib System 1 Issue (Genie) - won't start a game

By Trainman15148

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I have a Genie with an original power board and driver board. It has Pascal's PI-1 board in place of the original CPU. The game boots up, but won't start a game with everything connected properly. I get a test button stuck switch and credit stuck switch error after it boots. If I disconnect A1-J7, then the game will start. All of the pop bumpers fire and the flippers work. I then get an Outhole switch error and the ball won't kick out for obvious reasons. The slam switches appear to be functioning properly. I don't think the coin door is shorted in any way. I would really appreciate any advice on getting Genie up and going! Many thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Well, are the switches actually stuck closed or shorting? Use a multimeter to check.

Have you tested the strip of diodes in the cabinet?

#3 7 years ago

I have not checked the diode strip. I was looking for advice as to what things I should check first as Gottleib System 1s are brand new to me. The credit switch appears to be functioning fine. I am not sure about the test switch. Conductivity across the switch does not change when it is depressed. That said, I think it is part of A1-J6 and the game starts when it is connected but A1-J7 is not.

#4 7 years ago

Tested the cabinet diodes. All appear to be in the 7.3-7.6 range. The test switch remains open (no connectivity) but I think that is its natural state so I wouldn't think that would prevent a game from starting.

#5 7 years ago

Well, the game is an absolute mess. I cannot understand why it is doing what it is doing. SW60 (red drop target #5) is now functioning as the self test button. The bottom rollover targets (SW64) are the playfield tilt switch. The ABCD switches do not register at all. What is odd is that when I cross return 1 with the strobes, nothing happens which leads me to believe the ABCD switches are a board problem. I've checked the switches and they appear to be functioning properly. All of the wiring appears to be original and the connectors look to be re-pinned but the wiring looks correct. Still, the machine is being goofy. Any insight would be appreciated.

#6 7 years ago

Check the diode strip on the underside of the playfield and on the MPU.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks very much for the assistance. All the diodes underneath the playfield appear to we good. I have Pacal's PI-1 board replacing the original MPU due to the battery leaking.

#8 7 years ago

The ball will not kick out either. The solenoid never activates.

#9 7 years ago

Did you repin the connectors?

Yves

#10 7 years ago

Next, I would say go into test mode and see if you can get any solenoids to fire.

On the test button/switch, if you short the two tabs together (the ones with the wires soldered to them), you should be able to bypass the faulty switch. Note--don't permanently connect a jumper wire; just touch the two tabs with a jumper wire each time you want to advance through the diagnostic options.

You can order a replacement switch from a few different places. It's not uncommon for it to go bad.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Accessing_Bookkeeping_and_Diagnostics

#11 7 years ago

I think the test switch is indeed bad. Unfortunately, I cannot find a replacement part number or a vendor. Unwound appreciate any assistance in this regard. If it momentarily jump the leads, it works but it doesn't when the button itself is pressed.

All of the connectors look like they have been redone.

I will see what I can do with a solenoid test and report back.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Trainman15148:

Unfortunately, I cannot find a replacement part number or a vendor.

Check the link I posted. It has the model and links to suppliers.

#13 7 years ago

I rechecked the link and there were the part numbers I needed at the top - doh! Can't believe I missed it.

Anyway, I replaced the U2 and U3 chips on the Pascal board to no avail. ABCD rollovers still not working. I am pretty sure that is a board problem at this point. The test switch replacement gave me access to the test modes including a coil test. The Outhole, knocker, yellow target bank reset aren't working. The chimes and red and white target bank reset are working. Still have all of the switch malfunctions. I know the transistor driving solenoid 7 (yellow target banks) fried and it did so with the solenoid locked on. I have a replacement transistor but haven't installed it yet. Any thoughts on where to go from here would be appreciated! Many thanks. Sorry for no posts but had to spend a week in Munich on business.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottleib-system-1-issue-genie-wont-start-a-game?hl=trainman15148 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.