• Latest reply 9 years ago by ccotenj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

basement pinballs.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Strange World has a grid of three rows of 1 through 4 in the middle of the playfield. If I light all three 3's, it will just keep scoring and the score motor will keep turning until I turn the game off. All the related switches on the sequence bank "looked" fine, and I know it's not a rollover switch as it happens if I manually trip all three relays in the sequence bank. It only happens with the three's. The 1, 2 and 4's are fine.

One other problem that seemed to pop up at the same time but would seem to be unrelated is that when I start the game the ball kicks into the shooter lane and ball one is lit, but the playfield and flippers are dead until the first ball is drained and ball two is lit up. After that, balls two through five are fine.

I have schematics, but my ability to read them is very limited. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 9 years ago

With all those problems you should probably just sell the game to Boilerman, or myself!
But seriously, I would go back over that sequence bank for the '3s' double check there is nothing creating a short on the switch that should only register that sequence is complete (lights 5k points on those rollovers). You may also have a problem with your ball count unit with those symptoms. Schematics can be frustrating at times, but hang in there. Follow the logic path that happens when that sequence is completed, then inspect any switches that might be misadjusted.

#3 9 years ago

So on the first issue, completing all the 3's switches (the two #3 standups and #3 rollover) is required to change them to be worth 5000 points.

Getting each 3 trips a relay in the Sequence Bank, so the 3Y(ellow), 3W(hite), and 3G(reen) relays all need to be tripped in order to activate the 5000 point option.

Now, the 5000 pt relay (E) will cause the score motor to run when activated. Since you describe the problem as having the score motor running, then I'd suspect that the E relay is tripped (but this should be confirmed). If it is tripped, then that suggests it really could be one of the two #3 standup switches, or the #3 rollover switch.

If the contacts look "good", then also check for this:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-em-tech-tip-mystery-stuck-switches

(This would be my guess; that a backing blade is shorting one of the three #3 blades, and causing the 5000 point relay to stay stuck on.)

For the ball count issue, if you start a game without the ball in the outhole, does the outhole kicker still fire? Does the ball count still display ball 1?

Strange World is a desirable game for a few of us!

#4 9 years ago

Thanks to both of you who responded. As it turns out, it was indeed switch issues in both case. The back of the ball count unit had switch that I would have sworn was closed, but apparently it looked closed but there wasn't enough pressure to make proper contact.

The issue with the three's was the reverse problem. One of the stand up switches appeared open, but was actually touching and causing the problem.

You would think that wearing magnifying glasses and using a bright flashlight I would have caught those the first time, but the eyes aren't what they used to be.

Strange World is a great game and thanks to you guys, it's up and running tip top once again.
basement pinballs.JPGbasement pinballs.JPG

#5 9 years ago

Using a bright lite source does help. Another way is to take a photo of the switch stack, then blow up the image. Now you should be able to light up that 100,000 point light.

#6 9 years ago

Nice line-up! How do you like your Astro? (same layout as 4-Square in AAB?)Glad it was as simple as your findings. Its nice when things work out that way.

#7 9 years ago

Dirt, you're sure getting a lot of mileage out of that thread.

I'm surprised at how many instances have surfaced in the short time since you first posted that that you have been able to appropriately refer to it.

I'm thinking this could be the start of a "stickies" section, like exists on other online forums, at the beginning of the EM tech section. Does anyone know if this has been brought up to Robin in the past?

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Nice line-up! How do you like your Astro? (same layout as 4-Square in AAB?)Glad it was as simple as your findings. Its nice when things work out that way.

I find Astro a little too easy, but I love the artwork and the subject matter. The game was a wreck when I got it, with the whole front of the cabinet falling apart and delaminated. I had to rebuild the cabinet and do a complete repaint. It was a real project, but it came out nice. I'll post some photos in the restoration section one of these days.

#9 9 years ago

Another Pinsider had sent me that picture, and it occurred to me that we see a lot of 'stuck switches' issues, so I figured it might come in handy. Maybe it has.

But in this case it sounds like it was an actual switch contact, rather than the backing blade gremlin. Logically, it had to be one of the switches though. Glad it worked out.

#10 9 years ago

Something else I meant to mention. The game worked fine when I purchased it about a year ago, but due to a number of things, I wasn't able to play it much until recently when the problems started. It turns out that in both of the switches I had problems with, the switch stacks were loose. After checking, the same was true of the majority of switch stacks in the game. The room I have my games set up is very dry, and I'm thinking that when I bought the game it had probably been kept in a more humid environment and over time the switch stacks dried out and shrunk in my very dry basement, thereby throwing off the switches. Something to keep in mind in the future.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

With all those problems you should probably just sell the game to Boilerman, or myself!
But seriously, I would go back over that sequence bank for the '3s' double check there is nothing creating a short on the switch that should only register that sequence is complete (lights 5k points on those rollovers). You may also have a problem with your ball count unit with those symptoms. Schematics can be frustrating at times, but hang in there. Follow the logic path that happens when that sequence is completed, then inspect any switches that might be misadjusted.

amen!!!!

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Topcard:

Something else I meant to mention. The game worked fine when I purchased it about a year ago, but due to a number of things, I wasn't able to play it much until recently when the problems started. It turns out that in both of the switches I had problems with, the switch stacks were loose. After checking, the same was true of the majority of switch stacks in the game. The room I have my games set up is very dry, and I'm thinking that when I bought the game it had probably been kept in a more humid environment and over time the switch stacks dried out and shrunk in my very dry basement, thereby throwing off the switches. Something to keep in mind in the future.

I think they sometimes just shrink (the fiber spacers) over time. Its a good idea to check all the screws on the switch stacks when you go thru a game. The larger stacks tend to be more likely to need a half or full turn of the screwdriver.

#13 9 years ago

Strange World is an amazing game, my fav wedgehead by far!

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Quoted from Topcard:

I find Astro a little too easy, but I love the artwork and the subject matter. The game was a wreck when I got it, with the whole front of the cabinet falling apart and delaminated. I had to rebuild the cabinet and do a complete repaint. It was a real project, but it came out nice. I'll post some photos in the restoration section one of these days.

i love playing 4-square, but i wish it had the astro artwork...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottleib-strange-world-scoring-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.