(Topic ID: 208448)

Gottleib Soccer (First EM) - Where does this wire go?

By spoonelli

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by spoonelli
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1020347 (resized).JPG
2eb45cb8babdf9f8f92432369ed6c47b2003ffb4.jpeg (resized).jpg
IMG_5602 (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

Just picked up my first EM last night and starting to go over the whole machine before powering it on. Noticed this wire coming out of the harness at the lower right of the machine. - it looks like it could connect somewhere near the chimes but there's no obvious spot to plug it in - that one "bare" terminal in the photo is bridged between all the chimes, and each one already has a wire connected. I don't want to fire this thing up until I know where it goes...any ideas? Its orange with black stripes if that helps (though I know it might not.)

thx!

IMG_5602 (resized).jpegIMG_5602 (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

Chime solenoids typically have a common black wire on one terminal, then individual colored wires on the other terminal - four wires control the three chimes. In your photo it looks like the black wire is connected to the 1st terminal, but you write that the 2nd terminal is common among the three solenoids. My guess would be that the black wire should be on the 2nd (common) terminal, and the loose wire should be on the first terminal.

BTW, consider entering your serial number (on the edge of the plywood) in the serial number database at http://www.ipsnd.net/.

/Mark

#3 6 years ago

Wire goes to lug where red arrow points.

Probably removed because coil is bad, where yellow arrow is pointing.

LTG : )

2eb45cb8babdf9f8f92432369ed6c47b2003ffb4.jpeg (resized).jpg2eb45cb8babdf9f8f92432369ed6c47b2003ffb4.jpeg (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

On a side note, I'd replace those chime grommets on the chimes asap. Worn out chime grommets can damage the chime bars. And it's a good idea to use the correct hold down nuts and nylon washers for the chimes. Also, you'll want to clean up that black gunk at the bottom of the chime unit where the solenoid plungers rest. It's best to replace the black gunk with some furniture feet pads. The Pinball Resource has most of the parts for Gottlieb chime units:

http://www.pbresource.com/bells.html#chime

#5 6 years ago

Here`s a pic of mine. There is only one blue wire , there is a mirror image.

P1020347 (resized).JPGP1020347 (resized).JPG

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from TK2012:

Here`s a pic of mine. There is only one blue wire , there is a mirror image.

awesome -thx!

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from fredsmythson:

On a side note, I'd replace those chime grommets on the chimes asap. Worn out chime grommets can damage the chime bars. And it's a good idea to use the correct hold down nuts and nylon washers for the chimes. Also, you'll want to clean up that black gunk at the bottom of the chime unit where the solenoid plungers rest. It's best to replace the black gunk with some furniture feet pads. The Pinball Resource has most of the parts for Gottlieb chime units:
http://www.pbresource.com/bells.html#chime

thx so much!

#8 6 years ago

thanks everybody. going to fire it up this evening with it disconnected until I get that coil repaired. fixed a cracked stepper board on the bonus ball assembly as well. it looks like this machine was installed with a ground plug that was cut, so that will be a quick replace as well - going to see if there's anything else majorly amiss.

fingers crossed!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottleib-soccer-first-em-where-does-this-wire-go and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.