Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
BH Reset Board Hack.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ven.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 9 years ago

If you want it to run without the board you have to unplug it from the socket on the MPU board. If you leave that plugged in then just unplug the connector from the reset board the machine will not boot.

As others have mentioned the board is to keep something from burning up should the MPU lock up. Not such a big deal in your home where someone is likely at the game while it is on, but for a machine on location if it locked up somone may not be there or not notice that a coil was locked on and could burn the coil and or transistor up.

If you have one without the reset board be sure you don't leave it unattended while on. I have 4 80a/b machines and the only one without the reset board hooked up is the one with a new aftermarket MPU board in it that doesn't have a socket on the board for the reset. That being said I have never noticed any of them locking up.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Other way around. If you leave the plug installed on the TC1 connector and pull the 7 pin plug -- the game should still boot. In fact, some games would not boot at all or ran intermittently without the DIP plug installed on TC1. This was due to an overloaded Read/Write line (another poor board design). The DIP plug had a pullup resistor installed that would add extra pullup current to the Read/Write line.
But as the last poster said -- if you leave it completely hooked up and you have problems, there is a good chance that the old electrolytic caps are dried out. As caps dry out, they decline in capacitance value - resulting in shorter and shorter watchdog periods.
Try the 3.3K pullup resistor on the boards that insist on having the reset boards installed. I have seen this resistor fix this exact problem.

This is totally opposite of my experience, I just double checked it on my Genesis and it will not boot with the connector unplugged from the reset board but if you unplug the larger connector from its socket on the MPU board it will boot fine.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

The original poster's comments describe the exact problem we see when it needs the 3K pullup.

No issues with the genesis, boots and plays fine, never had any issues with it other than cold solder joints when I first got it.

The lovely world of Gottlieb sy80's

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Las Vegas, NV
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ven.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottleib-reset-boards-why-how-huh?tu=Ven and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.