Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by sbmania
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hi all, I did a post about this in the MGoF owners here and the Gottlieb owner here. I was directed and thought about starting a thread just for this. So in a nut shell I have a MGoW everything appears to be working with the exception in the game over sound. I have 3 mpus, 1 rottoen dog, one early mpu with jumpers and one I would say stock. I have 2 driver boards. I repined most everything, cleaned the board connectors did the ground mods, rebuilt the PS . So after looking into it more since the orginal posts it seems that the signal for the game over sound sb8 is going low with a logic probe but no sound. I have put a wotking sound board into it and Its still missing the game over sound. I did ground pin 8 in attract mode and the game over did play. I just don't know why its not playing. The only thing I found between my working MGoW and this is that the one not working seems to reset after the game over a little sooner, could be with the Rotten dog mpu?

#2 2 years ago

What are your individual results with what combo of boards used, you are a little vague.
Do none of the mpu/ driver give the sound board direction for game over?
Is this a harness issue?
The fact that you can ground the pin and get the sound makes me think you should ground the harness itself and then if that works go up the chain till you find the break in the line.
-Mike

#3 2 years ago

Hi Mike I'll try to be me more in depth, this has been just an odd thing, at least for me.

So with either driver board the out come is the same with each MPU board.

I have a Rotten Dog MPU original MPU for that game and an earlier MPU that has the jumpers installed on it. The original MPU will sometimes play the game over sound when you beat the high score and are awarded the credits (No batteries installed). The other 2 will not play the sound when you beat the high score. None of them will play it when the game is just over. I am using the Rotten Dog mpu now thinking it should be more reliable. I have tested one board with Marcos test rom and I have no errors. The harness between the mpu and driver I am using I made from a jama connector, soldered and heat shrinked everything then tested for continuity. I have also used the original with the same results. Most connectors have been redone as well. The only thing I have noticed between this machine and my working one is that my working one seems to have a slight more delay when it says "Mars is Supreme" than the one not working.

I have also tested the sb line 1 (pinwith a logic probe and it does go low to that should generate the sound when the game is over. It also goes low when you spot a letter with the roll overs. It just doesn't make since to me that everything else is there and it that line seems to be working not to generate the sound. I thought about repinning the connector again between the sound board and driver just in case something isn't quite right.

Troy

3 weeks later
#4 2 years ago

I made a mistake in the one post and corrected it. The sound line is 1 not 8, I meant pin 8 on the sound board.

I now have replaced the Rotten Dog mpu with an original one that I testes with Marcos roms and everything passed, I didn't do the dip switches. Now the game over sound places sometimes. I can't fin why it will or will not play still. The sound is still coming to pin 8 even with no sound. I'm not sure if during the game over part if any voltages are lost or not.

2 months later
#5 2 years ago

I have been working on this one for a while. The only thing I can up with the issue I am having is nature of the beast. I have been testing switches played games and it always as the ending sound. I was just taking the ball from the shooter lane and dropping it in the trough. This would never happen 3 times in a game, with nothing being fired or anything so I think that was the issue.

I now have an issue with the 5 and 3 digit that has a slight flicker when its not 0 I did the rejuvenation to them and switched around and even changed the CPU. I am pretty sure I repined them but looking into that after this message. And the last issue. I changed the MPU (this one has no battery and not NVRAM) to check the displays if it was a chip or something else. The high score reset and no credits. The high score was all 0s and no credits. I put some credits in and played. I then turned the machine off to put the old MPU back that has remote battery with it. I turned it back on and the old High score from that board is gone and replaced with the one that had no battery. I did not unplug the machine but the power was off. I don't know where it could have been stored. This to me is more what is going on than anything else. I know theres people that have a wealth of knowledge that might have some insight.

#6 2 years ago

I had the exact same problem where the game over sound (which slowly fades out) would not play. I fooled with it for weeks with no fix. Checked connectors. Lines 1-8, etc. In desperation, I subbed in the identical sound board from spirit (which does not have speech) and guess what. Mgow now plays the game over sound and spirit has no missing sounds!! I'm sure someone smarter than me can figure out from all that what's wrong with the original sound board but I cant...Hope this somehow helps!
By the way, all boards in mars were original gottlieb.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

I had the exact same problem where the game over sound (which slowly fades out) would not play. I fooled with it for weeks with no fix. Checked connectors. Lines 1-8, etc. In desperation, I subbed in the identical sound board from spirit (which does not have speech) and guess what. Mgow now plays the game over sound and spirit has no missing sounds!! I'm sure someone smarter than me can figure out from all that what's wrong with the original sound board but I cant...Hope this somehow helps!
By the way, all boards in mars were original gottlieb.

Thanks for the help, did your MGoW ever play the ending sound? This one manly had issues when I Was just taking the ball from the shooter lane and dropping it in the though (mostly the first game being powered on). I have been testing the switches and kind of playing a game with it and now I am always getting the end sound. They can be so finicky too.

#8 2 years ago

It never had the ending sound since I bought it. Never figured out what the problem was, but I rebuilt all the connectors so the problem was definitely on the sound board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottleib-mgow-missing-game-over-sound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.