• Latest reply 1 year ago by Arkate
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Grand Slam Add Hit Unit (resized).jpg
Grand Slam bases relays (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Arkate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Hey Everyone,

Anytime I land the ball in one of the kickout holes the bases all reset - otherwise everything the bases function properly (runs score via single/double/triple/homeruns without issue) The bases also reset when the ball drains which from watching videos this doesn't seem to be the intended behavior.

I am currently waiting on the schematic in the mail and can't seem to find one online - any advice would be very welcome. This is my first Gottleib machine so I'm pretty unfamiliar with how things are done in these machines

Thank you!
Kate

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from EJS:

Following.
I have one of these in storage that needs a little help too.
Have you checked the switch stacks that keep track of the runners? A lot of Gottlieb switch stack screws loosen up over time and cause weird behavior. Tightening helped some of my issues. Off the top of my head there are some relevant relays towards the front right inside the cabinet.
The good news is this game follows the rules of baseball so it’s easier to determine if it’s working right.

Everything seems to be tight from where I've checked, and the runners work just fine. I'm able to identify a specific contact on the P relay which is causing the reset, but without the schematic/manual I haven't been able to trace it yet

I picked this one up recently as a '100% working freshly shopped' machine and have been fixing tons of little issues constantly when will I learn lol

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Do you get base runners by hitting targets, or only by landing in the kickout holes? If only the kickout hole switches work to put runners on base I would suspect the wipers on the Hit Unit stepper (in the dashed box).
/Mark

The targets put men on bases and they cycle perfectly

The kickout holes remove everyone from the bases, as does a ball draining

I've inspected the hit unit and cleaned and it seems like everything is adjusted correctly.

My thoughts are there has to be a common switch the spinner/kickout (P relay) and out hole have that is triggering a base reset

Thank you so much for the snippet, I'll verify what I can from it

Also I found and read that whole link previously, it's extremely informative and very helpful, just doesn't explain the kickout landing a man on base mechanic unfortunately

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Does your Hit Unit stepper advance when the ball lands in the kicker holes? It shouldn't but it would explain how the bases are getting cleared if it does.

Yes, the hit unit stepper advances when the ball lands in the kickout. If I manually click just the top contact the light will come on as it should, it is when the kicker fires and the roto target spins that the hit unit also triggers

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

It may be that one of the switches in the red box is stuck closed somehow (mangled, bent solder tabs, touching wires, etc.)

It was that contact on the S relay, thank you so much, without the schematic I never would have even thought to look at the start relay

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Arkate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottleib-grand-slam-kickout-holes-reset-bases?tu=Arkate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.