(Topic ID: 113466)

Gottleib Baseball: runners on 1st and 3rd...

By pintechev

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jojo97222
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-614.jpg
image.jpg
image-356.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hi all,

Picked up a really nice Baseball (1970) yesterday. It's my first EM and I have some questions! After changing what felt like 40-year-old rubber and replacing a ton of burned out lamps, looks like I have a winner. The PF is clean with almost no wear. It's just dirty and I need to do a proper cleaning very soon. So, onto the questions!

1) When I start a game, I see that there are always runners on first and third (both the backbox lights and PF lights are on). The game seems to reset and start fine, so I am not sure why this is occurring. My only thought is that either the rollover switches for those bases are closed. Is there a reset relay/motor for the base runners?

2) The match light is only ever trying to match to 2. Wondering if this could be a stuck stepper?

I am calling PBR tomorrow to get a flipper rebuild and a schematic. If anyone has ideas for how to get this going, I'd be so appreciative!

Marc

image.jpgimage.jpg
#2 9 years ago

I believe there are relays for the base runners. They should be labeled. If you have ever adjusted EM relays, this should not be a tough fix. Definitely get the schematic! This is a fun game. I love the games with dual vari-targets!

#3 9 years ago

I have never adjusted an EM relay, but I want to learn! Any pointers on what I should be looking for?

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I have never adjusted an EM relay, but I want to learn! Any pointers on what I should be looking for?

Hmm. Well to start with, I would buy a switch adjuster tool from PBR. Basically the relays are coils with a bunch of normally closed and/or normally open switches on them. Some of the switches are supposed to be closed (touching) when the relay is "off" and open (not touching) when the relay is "on". These are called "normally closed" switches. "Normally open" switches are the opposite - not touching when the relay is off and touching when it is on. Over the years for various reasons the switches can get out of adjustment, have broken wires or be gunked up with dirt. There is a very fine line between a well adjusted switch and one that is non functional. We are talking a couple of millimeters. It takes a little practice. The relays can be removed from the mount to make it a little easier to see the contacts. It takes good eyes and good lighting. Always power off prior to adjusting switches.

Some relays like the Ax and Bx relays in the video below mechanically latch "on" with a coil pulse and then are turned off by a second coil. Most relays need to continuously energize the coil to stay "on".

Start reading and watching videos.

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

#5 9 years ago

Awesome. Thank you! Thankfully, the game is still plenty fun and challenging even with these issues, so I am happy to take it slow, watch and learn

Appreciate the Christmas day support.

Marc

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Appreciate the Christmas day support.

its 24/7 365 days here on EM tech support.

#7 9 years ago

a question then some comments...

do the "1st and 3rd base" lights ever go out during gameplay? i.e. do the runners move around the bases? or do they always stay on?

based on what you've told us so far:

1) as john pointed out, the baserunners staying "on base" are likely the result of a misadjusted switch in a relay... these relays should be labeled... since the "2nd base" one appears to be working correctly, compare the other two relays to that one... also, you can manually actuate the relays and watch to see if the switch states change... IMPORTANT NOTE: not applicable to this case, since you have a switch that is stuck "closed", but for the future... although watching them change is useful, never assume that because a switch "appears to be closed" that it really is closed... all of us have been burnt by this...

2) the match always staying on the same number is indicating that the match unit isn't advancing... the match unit is tied to the "ones reel" advancing... i *believe* that an as stepper is used for the match unit in that game... this fix will either be "easy" (continuity broken) or "not so easy" (the as stepper is broken and needs to be rebuilt and adjusted)...

#8 9 years ago

side note: if you are not familiar with em schematics, here is a thread where i described how i learned to read them... there is also a post in that thread that describes how pf switches interact with relays and the score motor...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reading-schematics-how-i-learned-maybe-it-will-help-others#post-1548629

#9 9 years ago

OK. Fixed it. It was simpler than I expected. It's mechanical, not switch related. The metal pieces that actuate the switches needed to be bent slightly so that the return coil could always do its job. Once I took all three relays out and bent the metal plate slightly, it has been perfect ever since.

So, that's the most important fix. Next up:

The match isn't working. It only gives 2. Which unit controls match on this game? The schematic lists it as relay J, but I think the label may have fallen off. Any ideas?

#10 9 years ago

Sorry; I missed your reply above. Interesting about the ones unit. All of the score reels work perfectly and advance properly. I found the schematic! It was in the coin box. I need to look at it and see where the match unit is wired in and do some sleuthing.

Thanks for the help so far.

Marc

#11 9 years ago

Ok - found the relay. It's in the backbox called the 0-9 relay. It's a baby stepper unit. There is a plastic gear inside, but I do not see what is supposed to make it turn, so I think it's missing a piece :/)

I changed the relay to stop on 8, so that's more interesting for now. I will call Steve at PBR on Monday and see if he rebuilds them. Since its not vital to gameplay, I can deal with it if it cannot be fixed.

At least I know where to look now!

Marc

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Ok - found the relay. It's in the backbox called the 0-9 relay. It's a baby stepper unit. There is a plastic gear inside, but I do not see what is supposed to make it turn, so I think it's missing a piece :/)
I changed the relay to stop on 8, so that's more interesting for now. I will call Steve at PBR on Monday and see if he rebuilds them. Since its not vital to gameplay, I can deal with it if it cannot be fixed.
At least I know where to look now!
Marc

So moving the plunger makes the relay change position? If so I am not sure why you think it is missing something. Sometimes they just get out of alignment or are not being fired. You can watch it while someone is playing a game and see if it is clicking and trying to turn as scores are counted.

#13 9 years ago

No plunger on this little guy. Here is what I am dealing with:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-as-match-stepper-rebuild-step-by-step

I am not sure what makes the gear move the wiper. I will spend more time tomorrow looking.

Marc

#14 9 years ago

cool, you got the baserunners taken care of...

i see you found my rebuild thread...

question: how did you advance the stepper to "8" instead of "2"? were you able to make the stepper advance (1 step at a time) by manually actuating it, or did you have to turn the gear by hand to move it?

have someone watch the stepper while you are playing the game... observe whether or not the coil fires...

if the coil fires, and it doesn't step, then you have to fix the stepper so that it "steps"... it is possible (probable) that the armature itself is broken... see two below pics...

broken armature... note that there is nothing to turn the gear...

image.jpgimage.jpg

new one...

image-356.jpgimage-356.jpg

#15 9 years ago

if the coil does not fire, you have a continuity/switch issue... schematics time!!

find the 0-9 "coil" on the schematic (it could be labeled "match unit")... trace that back to what fires it... check the switches on this path to ensure they are opening/closing correctly... if all switches are "good", take a piece of wire with alligator clips on each end and start "jumping" the path... this will help you find where continuity is broken...

#16 9 years ago

Thanks! Will do what you suggested soon!

Next up: clean the play field!

Marc

#17 9 years ago

looks like it will clean up VERY nicely...

if it was me, i'd spring for a new set of flipper bats too...

#18 9 years ago

Please excuse me if I'm barging in here but I have almost the same exact machine that also has a base runner problem. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
On my pin the runner(s) indicator lights are seldom in synch with the positions that the are actually in. For instance , sometimes I'll start the game and the indicator lights will show men on base when there shouldn't be. Other times the lights will read correctly. I've checked all switches , relays, and contacts and everything SEEMS to be working properly. Do either of you have an idea of how I can zero in on the problem ? Thanks for any help. Sorry to barge in , but our problems seem so identical that I hoped you wouldn't mind. image-614.jpgimage-614.jpg

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Fixie:

Please excuse me if I'm barging in here but I have almost the same exact machine that also has a base runner problem.
On my pin the runner(s) indicator lights are seldom in synch with the positions that the are actually in. For instance , sometimes I'll start the game and the indicator lights will show men on base when there shouldn't be. Other times the lights will read correctly. I've checked all switches , relays, and contacts and everything SEEMS to be working properly. Do either of you have an idea of how I can zero in on the problem ? Thanks for any help. Sorry to barge in , but our problems seem so identical that I hoped you wouldn't mind.

image.jpg 90 KB

image-614.jpg 541 KB

Don't mind at all. In my case, it was the release coil. On the base runner relay, there are two pieces of metal that are part of the actuator. They overlap and each coil pulls their side in, which moves the switch stack. I bent one side of the metal so the release coil did not have to do much to reset the switches. That's all it was. Here's the link to the article where I learned about the fix:

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm

Search for "Gottlieb Latch Relay Problems." to find the section. It was a really easy fix. I did not need to bend it very much.

Marc

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

looks like it will clean up VERY nicely...
if it was me, i'd spring for a new set of flipper bats too...

Yup. New bats will be ordered tomorrow, along with a flipper rebuild and new legs and levelers. I did a major scrub last night and it looks awesome. I'll take pictures when it's all done.

Marc

#21 9 years ago

Update:

All fixed. I took the stepper for the match unit apart and cleaned it. It was filthy, really dirty. Once I had it apart, all the parts were there, but the actuator and the gear were not aligned. Once I got them cleaned and aligned, manually moving the actuator finally moved the stepper. I cleaned the contacts and did a light lube with teflon and it's working!

Feels great to resolve this. Parts should be here Friday/Saturday for the flipper rebuild. I will make my way through the game and clean and lube all the steppers to make sure they last another 40 years.

Thanks everyone!

Marc

5 months later
#22 8 years ago

Have the same game. Working on a couple issues and glad I read this thread. Could you give some detail on how you "bent" the metal plates? Are you talking about the spring tension plate that moves the switches? I have the same issue and any additional info you could provide would be awesome.

2 years later
#23 6 years ago

mschonbrun in post #9 you describe bending a bracket. I am having the same troubles you described but don't understand which bracket you are referring to. Can you describe in more detail or post a picture?

Thanks

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottleib-baseball-runners-on-1st-and-3rd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.