• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6FEE7FF2-28B4-4C34-BC7C-6D74D6DDDC7F (resized).jpeg
#1 8 years ago

Hey,
I have a few pins and feel like I kinda know my way around the basics. I am going to help out someone who has a Gottleib Waterworld. I have never seen the game, but he says it will not kick out a ball to start a game. Having zero experience with Gottleib, never even opened the hood on one, I was wondering if there are any make-specific issues to check for. This is a non pinhead who owns the game, so it may be a simple issue. I am hoping for a loose or broken wire at the start button or to a ball trough switch or kickout coil.
Just figured it was worth asking if there are known issues/fixes regarding Gottleib that I am unfamiliar with.

Thanks in advance for any help

#2 8 years ago

That's pretty much where I'd start.

On top of that, check the playfield fuses and the main solenoid fuse near the transformer.

After that, check kickout coil's resistance, possibly replace the diode, check for continuity back to the driver board, and check the driver board transistor for the coil.

Pretty much everything you would normally check on other games.

Also visit some of the IPDB pages for system 3 games if you want to familiarize yourself with what the innards look like as well as the pinwiki page.

#3 8 years ago

Gottlieb doesn't have a kickout mechnism like Williams had. It has a mechanism that allows 1 ball to roll to the shooter lane, like a gate. Most coil controlled mechanisms in Gottlieb do have their own fuse. Beside the "common" solenoid fuse at the transformer assy, it is worth to check the fuse involved. Also....the rails inside the trough can develop "dents" over the years preventing the balls to roll to the shooter lane. This is very common.

Marco

#4 8 years ago

Wow, thank you! Good to know., so I would imagine you take the apron off to see where the balls are sitting in a trough? And the fuses are centrally located in the backbox?

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Wow, thank you! Good to know., so I would imagine you take the apron off to see where the balls are sitting in a trough? And the fuses are centrally located in the backbox?

Fuses are on the underside of the playfield and at the bottom of the cabinet near the transformer.

Yes, plan on taking off the apron.

#6 8 years ago

Thanks so much, guys. I will post back hopefully with the solution.

#7 8 years ago

If I had to guess, your problem is most likely due to pitting in the ball guide where the balls rest in the trough, this seems to be a VERY common issue on System 3s.

To check, with the glass off, and looking in the shooter lane where the ball comes out of, start a game. If you hear or see the solenoid activating, but no ball pops out, you can be pretty well sure the trough has pitting.

To fix, pop off the ball apron, remove the balls from the trough, and file down the metal trough guides with a metal file.

4 years later
#8 3 years ago

The owner that purchased my gladiators is having an odd issue with the trough.

I had him take the apron off and get some video and pics.

I don’t have a sys3 at home anymore so I don’t remember how the trough works fully and there isn’t much on YouTube or pics.

Do all balls sit in the trough while leaving the drain empty? It looks like the ball releases to the shooter lane fine, then the ball in the drain tries to fire to the trough and bounces back.

Here is the ball bouncing back

Just found the drain switch was catching on the trough metal, is that switch to make sure two balls aren’t in the drain?

Here is the switch that is catching

Thanks for any help!
6FEE7FF2-28B4-4C34-BC7C-6D74D6DDDC7F (resized).jpeg6FEE7FF2-28B4-4C34-BC7C-6D74D6DDDC7F (resized).jpeg

EDIT: they found 5 balls in the game and a 4 ball sticker.... so looks like potentially a new drain switch and taking a ball out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bremerton, WA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottleib-ball-trough-tech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.