Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

canon130117 002 (resized).JPG
wire (resized).jpg
bottomboard (resized).jpg
backofswitch (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hi Guys,
Been fixing pinball games for many years now, but most of my experience has been on Solid State machines. Over the years I've worked on many EM games as well, but I've always kinda muddled my way through a repair, and with the help of forums like this one, I'm happy to say, I've always been able to conquer any issues these games have had, even if I wasn't quite able to read the schematics well enough to track down the issues all by myself.

Lately, I've been working on a customer's Gottlieb Bowling Queen, circa 1964 I believe. It's a single player Wedgehead, and the 2nd of it's genre I've worked on. (the previous being an add a ball version of Palace Guard).

This game had only minor issues, all of which I've been able to solve and/or fix. Typical stuff like stuck playfield switches, a reset issue, sticky stepper units, etc. Remarkably great shape otherwise, I've come to notice some things I'm not familiar with.

For instance, now that the game is working properly, or at least enough for me to check all the features. I've checked the plum bob tilt mechanism. It definitely "tilts" the game, the light comes on, the playfield lights go out, and the game loses power to the flippers. However, what I thought was strange, was that it took ALL of the remaining balls to return to the trough before I could get the game to come back to life, and that would be starting a whole new game. Does tilting this game really forfeit the rest of the game??? I've never seen that before, and I figured it was like any other game I've played, and it should only be the ball you forfeit. Please correct me if I'm wrong, and the game is actually doing what it was desgined to do. Again, this is the plumb bob tilt that I've actuated.

Also, being that there's no power switch to the game, (turning the game on requires plugging it in, and then starting a game via the coin door start button.) That works fine. But how do you turn it off? The schematic shows a "turn off button" and if it's what I think it is, it's a small switch in the bottom board, towards the front of the game. Of course, if I manually actuate it, it DOES turn the game off. But it seems rather inconvenient to do so.

I recall reading somewhere along the way that on some early games you had to "kick" the underside of the cabinet to turn it ON. Did I have it backwards? do you give a good hard rap to the bottom of the cabinet to turn this game off? (reason I ask is that it works, but I wasn't sure this was by design or just an accident). Seems rather cruel to smack the game just to shut it down.

Lastly, what's the light socket for on the front of the bottom board inside the cabinet. Doesn't seem to go to any circuit, and it's always on. Is it just general illumination for the inside of the game? It's right by the total play meter, so I'm thinking it's so the operator can check to see the totals?

Thanks to those that know better, I'm striving to continue to learn myself!
Vinny

#2 7 years ago

Yes, a tilt ends the game on these. Don't know about the off switch, and yes, light bulb in the cabinet is to read the count meter.

#3 7 years ago

Tilt ends the game on wedgeheads.

#4 7 years ago

The switch that is actuated by the rod resting against the inside of the cabinet bottom is the off switch, and yes it is there by design. You just need to give a sharp tap to the bottom of the cabinet to shut off the game. You don't need to kick it.

This rather goofy power-switch arrangement has its roots in a long chain of events concerning the use of electricity in pinball machines. It may be hard to imagine these days, but in the early decades of pinball, players were totally comfortable walking up to a completely dark machine and putting money in it, expecting it to come to life.

It all started with the small counter-top games of the early 1930s, which were simple mechanical devices with no electricity or lighting. With these games, of course, you always put your money in a totally dark machine.

When lighted games appeared in the mid 1930s, the lights were battery-powered. The game would be dark until the coin was inserted. That would start a timer that would turn on the lights, which would have been an unexpected surprise for players of the day, who were used to playing dark machines. The timer would expire after a couple of minutes, turning off the lights again to conserve battery power.

When games were converted from batteries to plug-in power in the later 1930s, the shut-off timer circuit was retained and would still shut off the game power after a couple of minutes. This was done to both minimize the electricity usage at the location, and to conserve the transformers and power-packs in the machines, which were not always capable of continuous duty. So players continued to have the experience of putting money into dark machines and having them light up.

At the end of WW2 in 1945, when pinball production started up again, the shut-off timer was retained for a few more years on the new machines, as that was what players, operators, and locations were used to. Eventually - around 1950 - manufacturers phased out the shut-off timer circuit. Continuous-duty transformers were put in the machines, beginning the era of pinball machines that stayed lit up all the time.

However, to accommodate locations that still wanted to turn off the games to save electricity, the manufacturers put power switches on the machines. Gottlieb's version of an on/off switch was to simply retain their original shut-off timer circuit, but without the timer. Instead, tapping the bottom of the machine was the substitute for the timer switch opening, giving the location a way to turn off the machine.

By the early 1960s, most manufacturers were using standard on/off switches on their machines. Gottlieb was the lone holdout, retaining their traditional "timer style" power circuit until 1967. When the company finally started changing games over to standard on/off switches, they were so concerned that players would still drop money into dark Gottlieb machines that they printed the warning "INSERT COIN ONLY WHEN COIN ENTRANCE IS LIT" on the apron of all their on/off switch games.

- TimMe

#5 7 years ago

Nice history lesson Tim. thanks for sharing!

#6 7 years ago

Most of my wedgeheads have ... a on off switch installed since . im sure some would disagree with drilling into the bottom board , but it is a great convenience to do and relatively easy. here are some images. the thing to do is to .. drill a bottom hole near the front of the machine., with a block with same size hole inside. . have a matching size of wood" plate to drill and install toggle switch . then carry 2 wire from toggle switch back to lead fuse. disconnect wire from lead fuse to one end of wire coming from toggle switch . the other strand to the lead fuse.
The purpose of the block is to .. keep the toggle safe when moving or sliding the machine when transporting it is beneath the level of the bottom board.

backofswitch (resized).jpgbackofswitch (resized).jpg

bottomboard (resized).jpgbottomboard (resized).jpg

wire (resized).jpgwire (resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from singlezero:

Most of my wedgeheads have ... a on off switch installed since . im sure some would disagree with drilling into the bottom board , but it is a great convenience to do and relatively easy. here are some images. the thing to do is to .. drill a bottom hole near the front of the machine., with a block with same size hole inside. . have a matching size of wood" plate to drill and install toggle switch . then carry 2 wire from toggle switch back to lead fuse. disconnect wire from lead fuse to one end of wire coming from toggle switch . the other strand to the lead fuse.
The purpose of the block is to .. keep the toggle safe when moving or sliding the machine when transporting it is beneath the level of the bottom board.

You need one of the Gottlieb plastic covers over the switch on the inside to give it a "stock" appearsnce.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

You need one of the Gottlieb plastic covers over the switch on the inside to give it a "stock" appearsnce.

for the first few years they never used the black cover it just was the exposed switch. i think around 69-70 they started using the cover

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

...Gottlieb plastic covers over the switch...

Why are these always missing?

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Why are these always missing?

one of the "great" pinball mysteries

#11 7 years ago

Thanks to all you guys who have given me some added knowledge, and some relief, thinking that I was wrong in assuming a tilt would only lose you the ball in play on this game. TimMe, awesome explanation, and again, much appreciated.

As for the power switch, yes, I'm aware of that modification, and have asked my customer to strongly consider doing so. He's been kind of adamant about leaving the game stock, as it's been in his family for 2 generations now, and he just wants it as he remembers it. I've replaced the original power cord already though.

Sounds like I'm in for some clean up now that the game is working as it should be. You EM "guys" are the best, I still don't understand those schematics like SS schematics.

Thanks
Vinny

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

for the first few years they never used the black cover it just was the exposed switch. i think around 69-70 they started using the cover

Still, I would rather have a cover on it!

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from rattmuscle:

Tilt ends the game on wedgeheads.

There are many exceptions to this. Add-a-ball wedgeheads can be set to subtract one ball plus the ball in play. Later replay wedgeheads like
"Golden Arrow" don't end the game on a pendulum tilt, but will if the lift or slam tilts are tripped.

#14 7 years ago

jrpinball, you beat me to it. I was going to reply that C-37 is another, in that a standard tilt only ends the ball in play. Never understood feature this on a C-37, as it makes no sense to not try and shake a ball out of the right-side outlane, since there is no bonus or anything else to lose. from a tilt ???

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

. Later replay wedgeheads like
"Golden Arrow" don't end the game on a pendulum tilt, but will if the lift or slam tilts are tripped.

jr isn't that a selectable option? if i recall a tilt "in or out" jones plug on the bottom board

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Vinnypin:

As for the power switch, yes, I'm aware of that modification, and have asked my customer to strongly consider doing so. He's been kind of adamant about leaving the game stock, as it's been in his family for 2 generations now, and he just wants it as he remembers it. I've replaced the original power cord already though.
Sounds like I'm in for some clean up now that the game is working as it should be. You EM "guys" are the best, I still don't understand those schematics like SS schematics.
Thanks
Vinny

To turn off my games I just open the coin door and lift the slam switch... dont do this in bare feet

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

jr isn't that a selectable option? if i recall a tilt "in or out" jones plug on the bottom board

GA motor board pic:

canon130117 002 (resized).JPGcanon130117 002 (resized).JPG

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

To turn off my games I just open the coin door and lift the slam switch... dont do this in bare feet

Aw, come on, don't you like a little kiss every now and then?

1 week later
#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Vinnypin:

Hi Guys,
Been fixing pinball games for many years now, but most of my experience has been on Solid State machines. Over the years I've worked on many EM games as well, but I've always kinda muddled my way through a repair, and with the help of forums like this one, I'm happy to say, I've always been able to conquer any issues these games have had, even if I wasn't quite able to read the schematics well enough to track down the issues all by myself.
Lately, I've been working on a customer's Gottlieb Bowling Queen, circa 1964 I believe. It's a single player Wedgehead, and the 2nd of it's genre I've worked on. (the previous being an add a ball version of Palace Guard).
This game had only minor issues, all of which I've been able to solve and/or fix. Typical stuff like stuck playfield switches, a reset issue, sticky stepper units, etc. Remarkably great shape otherwise, I've come to notice some things I'm not familiar with.
For instance, now that the game is working properly, or at least enough for me to check all the features. I've checked the plum bob tilt mechanism. It definitely "tilts" the game, the light comes on, the playfield lights go out, and the game loses power to the flippers. However, what I thought was strange, was that it took ALL of the remaining balls to return to the trough before I could get the game to come back to life, and that would be starting a whole new game. Does tilting this game really forfeit the rest of the game??? I've never seen that before, and I figured it was like any other game I've played, and it should only be the ball you forfeit. Please correct me if I'm wrong, and the game is actually doing what it was desgined to do. Again, this is the plumb bob tilt that I've actuated.
Also, being that there's no power switch to the game, (turning the game on requires plugging it in, and then starting a game via the coin door start button.) That works fine. But how do you turn it off? The schematic shows a "turn off button" and if it's what I think it is, it's a small switch in the bottom board, towards the front of the game. Of course, if I manually actuate it, it DOES turn the game off. But it seems rather inconvenient to do so.
I recall reading somewhere along the way that on some early games you had to "kick" the underside of the cabinet to turn it ON. Did I have it backwards? do you give a good hard rap to the bottom of the cabinet to turn this game off? (reason I ask is that it works, but I wasn't sure this was by design or just an accident). Seems rather cruel to smack the game just to shut it down.
Lastly, what's the light socket for on the front of the bottom board inside the cabinet. Doesn't seem to go to any circuit, and it's always on. Is it just general illumination for the inside of the game? It's right by the total play meter, so I'm thinking it's so the operator can check to see the totals?
Thanks to those that know better, I'm striving to continue to learn myself!
Vinny

When you tilt on any ball the game is over. Hitting the machine underneath or even on the sides activates a leaf tilt and ends the game too. Light inside is for the total meter plays. Hope this helps you my friend

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Vinnypin:

Hi Guys,
Thanks to those that know better, I'm striving to When you tilt on any ball the game is over. Hitting the machine underneath or even on the sides activates a leaf tilt and ends the game too. Light inside is for the total meter plays. Hope this helps you my friend.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottileb-wedgehead-newbie-has-some-questions?hl=rattmuscle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.