• Latest reply 9 years ago by jodini
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2014-10-20 18.21.23.jpg
#1 9 years ago

You know with every new machine I always go through all the wires and their solder joints etc. This is what I found on my AX relay. I had to bend the tab (closest to you) down to make the gap but you can see when it was bent up, the new solder job that someone did lined up perfectly with the upper contact. You can also see where it was arching and where things got a bit toasty.

2014-10-20 18.21.23.jpg2014-10-20 18.21.23.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Good find and repair Jason. Those can be tough to figure out unless you see visible burn marks or heavy arcing going on when the machine is running and you have the Playfield up.

Ken

#3 9 years ago

See that little bare jumper wire between the two lower switch stacks? I had one that had cracked solder joint on one side & made intermittent contact. Took me FOREVER to figure it out....
Yeah, you got to inspect every wire!

#4 9 years ago

Oh wow, that's a crazy one as well. Gotta be sure of your troubleshooting skills and keep looking where you believe something is to catch an issue like that.

#5 9 years ago

So true...I always check the backside of my stacks (or at least try too)! You should put some tubing or tape around that one...that's close!

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from jodini:

You should put some tubing or tape around that one...that's close!

Oh it's getting re-soldered. The scary thing is all the fuses were wrong as well, wrong the bad way too.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from jasonsmith:

The scary thing is all the fuses were wrong as well, wrong the bad way too.

They always are, aren't they? I have yet to get a new to me pin that had the correct fuses installed.
Seems like 20A is a favorite.

#8 9 years ago

Paper clip fuses...those are my favorite!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Las Vegas, NV
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotta-check-your-wires and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.