Ok this is a long description of what I have done to isolate the problem of a Stuck high IRQ.
This Gottlieb System 80B MPU has become more than a problem. The IRQ is stuck high.
1. The 6502, and the three RIOTs, 6532 have been socketed and replaced. I added two sockets for two of the RIOTs. 6502 and one RIOT had existing sockets.
2. The IRQ remains stuck high. Continuity and shorts between pins were checked on the 6502 and three RIOTs with no problems found.
3. I then got out the logic probe and checked all selection circuit logic chips. I found one problem with Z4 an output pin 10 going to the 5101 RAM pin 17 CE2 and replaced Z4. The IRQ remained stuck high.
4. The 5101 was removed, and IRQ remained stuck high. The 5101 was replaced with new and tesedt chip, and the IRQ remained stuck high.
5. Since logic probe results can not always detect proper logic chip operation, I got out the Bugtrap (see below) and checked all of the logic chips and found no problems.
6. In desperation I changed Z7 and Z8 with no change in the IRQ –remained stuck high
7. Since Z36 was socketed by previous worked, I also replaced Z36. IRQ – remain stuck high
8. I repeated the Bugtrap testing with no faults found. Z10,Z12,Z5,Z8,Z9 et al.
9. I repeated the continuity tests on all of the replaced chips and checked for shorts and found no problems.
10. On a RIOT by RIOT basis I lifted pins 8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,21,22,23,and 24. The IRQ remains stuck high with all RIOTs and pins lifted as previously noted.
11. I examined the clock circuit and all appears operating correctly. I measured the clock frequencys and all appears OK. The Bugtrap on Z3 shows not problem, but does interfere with the circuit operations. I haven't put a scope on the clock circuit.
12. All testing is done with GPE QUICKSCAN test unit operational with the board.
13. The Bugtrap 2974A is a logic chip comparator that matches the operation of the chip under test with a like chip mounted in the Bugtrap ziff socket.
14. Voltages at the chips are at 4.9VDC on the bench. Reset is not a problem.
15. I again checked continuity and chip operation with a logic probe and found no anomalies.
This is a nice clean board with no battery corrosion.
I am at a loss as to what to do next.