You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2013Oct18 003.JPG
2013Oct18 002.JPG
xformer.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hey all.just picked this game up to get going for a customer.it's been sitting for about 35 years and at some point the transformer has been changed to something that looks like it belongs in a pop machine.how many different transformers would be interchangeable with this game?
Ted

#2 9 years ago

Many of the Canadian machines had an additional isolation transformer installed in them. These were somewhat large and quite heavy. Is that what you mean? Is it located on the motor board in place of the normal transformer or is it inside the cabinet? What game is it? I had a Gottlieb "Pin Wheel" which had one of these isolation transformers in it. You can probably remove it if the original transformer is still on the motor board.

#3 9 years ago

No it's not an isolation transformer.the actual transformer has been replaced.

#4 9 years ago

I haven't had a Chinatown, but from a similar '52 Gottlieb, the transformer is likely part# A-1301. Looks like this (without the blue caps though):

xformer.jpgxformer.jpg

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

I haven't had a Chinatown, but from a similar '52 Gottlieb, the transformer is likely part# A-1301. Looks like this (without the blue caps though):

xformer.jpg 81 KB

What's that coil just sitting there with no armature plate or anything on it?

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

What's that coil just sitting there with no armature plate or anything on it?

No idea. I no longer have this game, and I never got around to restoring it, so I didn't dig into that bit of oddness. As I recall, I didn't see any clear function for it, but the wiring didn't suggest any particular hack job either. I don't think it's original though.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

No idea. I no longer have this game, and I never got around to restoring it, so I didn't dig into that bit of oddness. As I recall, I didn't see any clear function for it, but the wiring didn't suggest any particular hack job either. I don't think it's original though.

It looks original to me especially if your machine had it too Dirt, but I just don't the logic in it either.

Ken

#8 9 years ago

My Chinatown doesn't have that coil (no sign it ever did and nothing on the schematic), and the transformer is A-1301.

#9 9 years ago

I know the coil looked pretty good when I got it, so good that I didn't notice it right away until I was getting ready to restore it. But it really shouldn't be there, and isn't original to the game.

Bit easier to see in these pics. It's just plopped down over the wires that lead to the knocker jones plug. I didn't trace the wires to see where they go though. I traded the game before I did the restore, so didn't resolve the mystery.

2013Oct18 002.JPG2013Oct18 002.JPG
2013Oct18 003.JPG2013Oct18 003.JPG

The game was '52 Happy Days, but I've not seen a picture of the bottom board for another one to compare.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gott-chinatown-transformer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.