Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 63 days ago by GPS
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 83 days ago
    Quoted from sparky672:

Um, there's hardly a distinction there. But ok, you set the record straight and I edited my post.

Unfortunately, as you've already learned, police consider this a "civil" matter, not stealing. That's why we have civil courts to resolve contract disputes.
    (You sent your boards to him - he did not come take them from you. This is governed under the terms of whatever contract/agreement you had with Rob, which is why police are not arresting him for theft.)
    Keep in mind this is not any different than an auto mechanic that refuses to release your car until full payment is made. It literally happens all the time... get an estimate, but when you go to pick up the car, you owe more $ and have no choice... pay up or leave without your car. The shop will then charge daily storage fees until you pay up and remove it.
    What if your car is towed, maybe illegally? Again, stolen? Nope. An expensive civil matter, even if you are completely innocent.
    Here's one that happened to me. I parked in a private garage/lot and pre-paid under an agreement with an app. When I tried to leave, they gate attendant refused to honor my contract with the app and forced me to pay before I could leave with my car. If I refused to pay, I would not be able to drive my car out. Was my car stolen? Nope. Another civil matter governed by the agreements I made via the app and the garage when I chose to drive in there.
    The police will laugh at you if you report your car stolen by a towing company, garage, or mechanic.

True, yes I’m aware. A professional auto mechanic would provide a quote before doing any work.

#102 83 days ago
    Quoted from interconnect:

A professional auto mechanic would provide a quote before doing any work.

There are also auto mechanics who do not honor their quotes or do more work than quoted, and there are car owners who do not ask for quotes. It changes absolutely nothing. Right or wrong, you pay the invoice when work is done, or you don't get your car. The police never say, "you did not honor your original quote, therefore you're being arrested for auto theft."

EDIT: For the record, I absolutely do not think it's acceptable for a tech to behave like a shady mechanic, and I'm sorry for not being more clear about that. I was just giving other examples of why/when police do not consider your property as "stolen" for civil matters such as an ongoing business relationship or contractual dispute. I've been a victim of this too.

#103 83 days ago
    Quoted from sparky672:

There are also auto mechanics who do not honor their quotes or do more work than quoted, and there are car owners who do not ask for quotes. It changes absolutely nothing. Right or wrong, you pay the invoice when work is done, or you don't get your car. The police never say, "you did not honor your original quote, therefore you're being arrested for auto theft."

I did not miss the point. I’m fully aware. Only shady mechanics would do that. I’ve never experienced or heard of that happening to anyone. No reputable auto mechanic would quote you one thing and then do additional work without approval. Regardless, I would never take my chances and go to a shady mechanic in the first place. Take a lesson from Judge Judy: “Four corners of contract. Anything outside of that is immaterial.”

#104 83 days ago

But let's not get too sidetracked with semantics while waiting for a meaningful response to post 96

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/goto-board-repair-techs/page/2#post-7996849

#105 83 days ago

How much more $ is Rob wanting for this repair in order to return the boards? If you don't want to answer this is understood.

#106 83 days ago
    Quoted from insight75:

How much more $ is Rob wanting for this repair in order to return the boards? If you don't want to answer this is understood.

The amount of money doesn’t really matter; it wasn’t a lot of money. It’s more a matter of principle and good business ethics. I already replaced the boards. I brought this up to warn others and it now looks like Rob is doing similar things to others out there.

This is Jessie again. Our account of what happened has never changed. Rob’s version of events kept changing when he would make excuse after excuse as to why he couldn’t send us our boards back. He has twisted what happened to make it in his favor. We even caught him in an outright lie when he told us we shipped the boards to the wrong address. We went back in our emails to double check the address and it was the only one that he ever told us to ship the boards to. When we shipped the boards to him the second time we even confirmed the previous address with him and he told us that it was the correct address to ship them too. Take it for what it’s worth, but our story has never changed and Rob can’t seem to keep his story straight.

#107 82 days ago

I have no dog in this fight. But I will say that interconnects accounts and story sound more reasonable. Sparky is also shooting Rob and himself in the foot by saying there are shady mechanics and because mechanics are shady then board repair people can be shady too.

Ultimately, this airing has likely diverted future biz from Rob. The taunting from Rob as accounted for by Jesse…well that is just seriously pathetic from Rob. Cmon man. That is weak sauce, Rob…

#108 82 days ago
    Quoted from Riefepeters:

I have no dog in this fight. But I will say that interconnects accounts and story sound more reasonable.

Agreed.

Additionally, I think Rob Anthony's story has some inconsistencies that need to be explained.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/goto-board-repair-techs/page/2#post-7996849

Quoted from Riefepeters:

Sparky is also shooting Rob and himself in the foot by saying there are shady mechanics and because mechanics are shady then board repair people can be shady too.

Um, no. That's not what I said, nor what I meant.

For the record, I absolutely do not think it's acceptable for a tech to behave like a shady mechanic, and I'm sorry for not being more clear about that. I was just giving other examples of why/when police do not consider your property as "stolen" for civil matters such as an ongoing business relationship or contractual dispute. I've been a victim of this too.

#109 82 days ago

Hopefully Rob can chime in. Be good to hear his side as I would like to continue to recommend him.

#110 82 days ago
    Quoted from interconnect:

5. The St. Louis Police and the Missouri Attorney General office didn’t proceed with any action because they determined it was a civil matter and not a criminal one. I would have to bring a lawsuit against Rob in a St. Louis court, in which I would incur additional costs and I determined it just wasn’t worth it to pursue it any further.

Not taking any sides here. I met Rob at Expo and he seemed like a nice guy. Just want to point out that this is correct, it would be considered a civil matter.

#111 81 days ago

To be honest, I'm not really tracking all the comments here as no argument has ever been won on an Internet forum.

I did have a crucial typo in my first post that is causing lots of spinning. Initial work WAS authorized and paid for. Sounds boards were sent in for additional work. It's this bit that was never paid as Interconnect believes he did not authorize it.

Very much disagree with comments that it was fair to call the Police in this situation. Any civil adult in the real world would recognize this as a commercial dispute. Calling the Police was intended to harass. The Police pretty much rolled their eyes at being called out over this.

Interconnect has twice posted that he didn't want to make this public... But of course, that's exactly what he's done. So, that's kind of weird.

No more posts from me on this topic. Not worth it. But a good person and a good tech has been unfairly maligned.

With that, I wish you all well and hope to see you IRL at a show down the road.

#112 81 days ago
    Quoted from Shadow:

To be honest, I'm not really tracking all the comments here as no argument has ever been won on an Internet forum.
    I did have a crucial typo in my first post that is causing lots of spinning. Initial work WAS authorized and paid for. Sounds boards were sent in for additional work. It's this bit that was never paid as Interconnect believes he did not authorize it.
    Very much disagree with comments that it was fair to call the Police in this situation. Any civil adult in the real world would recognize this as a commercial dispute. Calling the Police was intended to harass. The Police pretty much rolled their eyes at being called out over this.
    Interconnect has twice posted that he didn't want to make this public... But of course, that's exactly what he's done. So, that's kind of weird.
    No more posts from me on this topic. Not worth it. But a good person and a good tech has been unfairly maligned.
    With that, I wish you all well and hope to see you IRL at a show down the road.

Shadow mustn't of read the previous posts much, because if he did, a lot of his comments here wouldn't of been necessary. I will address some points he mentions. Maybe he'll read them this time.

1. Sound board was sent in out of my own accord. Rob, to this day, has never said what board he did the additional work on. I assumed any additional work on the MPU would be covered under warranty, but any work done to the sound board would be new. We would happily pay for any new work done to the sound board, as that is a different board and was not part of the original agreement. But... we simply don't know, as Rob has never specifically said what it was he did and what board he did it to.

2. I do not "believe" I did not authorize it... I definitely did not authorize it.

3. No legitimate business would ever withhold property in attempt to procure payment, especially when the work was never approved. I work in an industrial repair business that repairs industrial electronics and servo motors and we never... I mean NEVER, work on customers equipment without approval.

4. The police rolled their eyes at this? Quite the contrary. They believed it to be a felony.

5. I made it public since two others have come out and said Rob was not returning their boards. Looks like I'm not the only one having issues with Rob. I think we're seeing trend and Rob is at the center of it. That is certainly not "weird". I'm looking out for others so they don't get ripped off by Rob. That is my only intention; I have already replaced the boards and will never pay someone something that I don't owe them, purely out of principle. I actually spent far more to replace the boards than what Rob was trying to take me for... again, out of principle.

6. If Rob doesn't like his reputation getting a hit, that's on him. Don't withhold people's property if you don't want to deal with the repercussions.

Additionally, Shadow seems to be doing the same thing as we experienced with Rob; lying, manipulating and twisting words around to achieve his ends. The entire exchange was done over email and I will happily share the emails and even our complaint to the Missouri Attorney General's office where we laid out our complaint and our responses to Rob's responses. Maybe I should just post it right here for all to see. We systematically addressed each point and factual error and backed it up with quotes from Rob's emails. You will see that our story has never changed and Rob's continues to be murky with conflicting statements and holes everywhere. It's amazing (and hilarious) that someone would attempt to lie when everything is recorded and it's all there in black and white.

#113 81 days ago

Hate to see this thread dissolve into a bad situation. That said, it seems to be reasonable that if Mr Anthony is still on this site, and if Mr Anthony has a different vantage, maybe it would make sense to post his thoughts?

There have been several folks that have posted their experiences with Mr Anthony. Some have been positive but there have been, what I would think are too many negatives.

I wanted this thread to be helpful to those, like me, who do not do board work and have no desire to learn, an easy place to come and find a competent tech to assist.

I hope that my original goal has not been lost. I also hope that at some point Mr Anthony will chime in and provide his thoughts. In the meantime, I hope that this thread has helped others!

#114 80 days ago
    Quoted from insight75:

$217

#115 80 days ago
    Quoted from Shadow:

Since you're here on Rob's behalf, you might want to carefully read the comments in order to better help him set the record straight. So far, you've been met with a few clarification questions, yet there remains two stories with facts that conflict with each other and a lot unanswered from Rob's side. No substantial details have been provided that would justify retention of property, but you make repeatedly claims of harassment...

Quoted from Shadow:

Calling the Police was intended to harass.

How could you possibly know what was in his mind? Despite full acknowledgment this is a civil/contractual/business dispute, I still would have called police, and my "intent" would not be "to harass" - it would be "to get my stuff back".

Quoted from GPS:

That said, it seems to be reasonable that if Mr Anthony is still on this site, and if Mr Anthony has a different vantage, maybe it would make sense to post his thoughts?

Agreed. Business is on the line, so I also question why a proxy is speaking for Rob. If his health is too poor to use an online forum to defend his professional reputation, how is he still able to troubleshoot/repair boards and run a business? Whatever the case, I sincerely wish him well in his recovery.

Assuming everything posted here is accurate, despite my disagreeing with some of the language, I sympathize with interconnect ... he just seems more forthcoming and consistent with his story.

2 weeks later
    #116 63 days ago

Wanted to let some time pass before posting again. I was hoping that Mr Anthony might chime in and help to resolve some of the issues that have been raised. That does not seem to be happening.

Everyone can make there own deductions from this particular situation but when a number of otherwise reputable folks make allegations against the same person and that person, after being invited to respond, does not, we’ll as I said draw your own conclusions.

There are a number of other folks that have been well lauded so maybe consider utilizing their skill sets.

G

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/goto-board-repair-techs/page/3?hl=interconnect and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.