Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Reset:Credit_Relay_King_Rock_(resized).JPG

#1 8 years ago

I have an original Gotlieb King Rock machine.

I am the third owner that I know of, and the machine overall has been maintained very well. It was formerly maintained by a well known guy locally.

That being said, there is an issue with the mechanical part of the play field.

The light's that are supposed to be functioning when they're not triggered to do so by scoring/game play are functioning now, after checking all the fuses there was an issue with one of the fuse posts, that has since been remedied.

But none of the play field mechanical features work at all, flippers, bumpers, spinners/flags will not actuate at all. I have gone so far as to attempt to check continuity to see if I could find a wire break issue, or ground/short issue. To me it appears as though maybe none of those components are getting power?

That is my issue, if it were one feature not functioning it might be easier to isolate, but it's all the mechanical features on the play field, to me that points to an issue affecting those features I guess?

I am okay with a multi-meter, and can solder if need be, but this is my first pinball endeavor and I am very green.

I have all the regional schematics and copies of the schematics, I have all the setup manuals that came with the original machine.

I need help troubleshooting this issue, and am not sure where to start, I assumed with someone familiar with EM machines, it might be much easier to guide me in the right direction.

Anything someone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

#2 8 years ago

Forgot to mention the ball kick-out functions. In fact everytime the ball drains, it immediately kicks the ball back out for play.

#3 8 years ago

Just took a look at IPDB(thank you IPDB).

Did this just happen after working on game?

Couple of easy starts to check. Reach in and give the score motor a turn(counterclockwise)and it should turn about a 1/3. See if that gives it a jumpstart and check if you can start and play again.

2nd- You have a reset bank in front of cabinet on motorboard. Make sure it is 'locked' into proper position...a wing nut on each end holds the bank in place. POWER OFF...Make sure ends of bank are all the way down 'in' and positioned correctly. Give a push in on the reset arm as if the game was resetting and see if that gets you going. Just a start. Hopefully others chime in.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Couple of easy starts to check. Reach in and give the score motor a turn(counterclockwise)and it should turn about a 1/3. See if that gives it a jumpstart and check if you can start and play again.
2nd- You have a reset bank in front of cabinet on motorboard. Make sure it is 'locked' into proper position...a wing nut on each end holds the bank in place. Make sure ends of bank are all the way down 'in' and positioned correctly. Just a start. Hopefully others chime in.

Actually when I brought it home and plugged it in, the only thing that functioned was the back glass lighting.

I managed to find the issue with the play field lighting and that appears okay now.

I'll take a look at what you just offered, anything is a good place to start for me. Thank you!

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

2nd- You have a reset bank in front of cabinet on motorboard. Make sure it is 'locked' into proper position...a wing nut on each end holds the bank in place. Make sure ends of bank are all the way down 'in' and positioned correctly. Just a start. Hopefully others chime in.

Okay, well I'm lost,

I don't know what the "Score Motor" is, is there another term for it that is more common?

Reset cabinet-Also drawing a blank, and I don't know what the proper position should be.

I am as new as you can be, but determined to learn and do what work I can myself, so you'll have to basically talk to me like I'm from Mars

#6 8 years ago

Have you a name perchance? Nice to address someone by their first name...

With respect to your game, the first thing to do is to remove the playfield glass and lift the playfield - the idea is to make sure that the plugs for the playfield cables are seated in their sockets on the realy board in the bottom of the cabinet. You will see these cables coming off the rear underside of the playfield going down to the bottom board. These plugs are the type you gently pull and rock back and forth - do not pry or twist them as you will break the plug or socket or a pin or two. At this point you can simply see if the plugs are fully seated in their respective sockets by pressing down on the sockets.

If you don't know how to remove the glass go here:

http://flippers.com/pin-tips.html#Playfield_Glass

The game must be UNPLUGGED from the wall power when you go inside (you don't yet know what is dangerous - so unplug it for now).

Plugs all seated? OK, now check the same types of plugs in the headboard - take the back door off and find the cables coming up from below and check that they are fully seated.

Headboard plugs all seated?

Have you also reseated the coin door plugs near the inside left front of the bottom relay board?

Good.

Now what happens?

Have you got a schematic for your game? Have you any experience reading schematics - fixing car wiring, doing some house electrical reapirs, etc.?

Yes? Great - head to http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/ and read up on troubleshooting Electro-Mechanical (EM) pinball games and then post back here what you find out.

No experience? Well, get the schematics anyway, and find some online info on how to read EM schematics. There are books out there that can be a big help. Pinwiki will still be a great help too.

John :-#)#

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Flippers_com:

Have you a name perchance? Nice to address someone by their first name...
With respect to your game, the first thing to do is to remove the playfield glass and lift the playfield - the idea is to make sure that the plugs for the playfield cables are seated in their sockets on the realy board in the bottom of the cabinet. You will see these cables coming off the rear underside of the playfield going down to the bottom board. These plugs are the type you gently pull and rock back and forth - do not pry or twist them as you will break the plug or socket or a pin or two. At this point you can simply see if the plugs are fully seated in their respective sockets by pressing down on the sockets.
If you don't know how to remove the glass go here:
http://flippers.com/pin-tips.html#Playfield_Glass
The game must be UNPLUGGED from the wall power when you go inside (you don't yet know what is dangerous - so unplug it for now).
Plugs all seated? OK, now check the same types of plugs in the headboard - take the back door off and find the cables coming up from below and check that they are fully seated.
Headboard plugs all seated?
Have you also reseated the coin door plugs near the inside left front of the bottom relay board?
Good.
Now what happens?
Have you got a schematic for your game? Have you any experience reading schematics - fixing car wiring, doing some house electrical reapirs, etc.?
Yes? Great - head to http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/ and read up on troubleshooting Electro-Mechanical (EM) pinball games and then post back here what you find out.
No experience? Well, get the schematics anyway, and find some online info on how to read EM schematics. There are books out there that can be a big help. Pinwiki will still be a great help too.
John :-#)#

My name is Evan.

Yes I am somewhat familiar with reading and interpreting wiring schematics.

All wire seating has been checked, and in the process I pulled the back panel, and found this on the Reset (Credit) relays (see attached image)

I have read so far that the scoring motor is essentially the "brains of the operation" and should be treated accordingly, however it appears to be in good working order.

Note on one relay the black wire appears to just have broken loose of the solder, whereas the yellow wire appears to have been cut, I do not understand why that would have been cut on purpose.

Reset:Credit_Relay_King_Rock_(resized).JPGReset:Credit_Relay_King_Rock_(resized).JPG

#8 8 years ago

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thank you!

#9 8 years ago

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

Read it, learn it, love it.

A systematic approach is best.

#10 8 years ago

When you power up the game, or press the Start Button does continuously cycle?

#11 8 years ago

The yellow wire will prevent the step coil from working, so credits can't be added. And the other wire will prevent the step-down coil from working, so credits can't be subtracted either. Neither will prevent the game from working, as long as the stepper is at least in the '1' credit position (or has been modified for free play).

None of the playfield features will work as long as either the Game Over or Start Relay have certain switches open. These are usually the 'QB' and 'SB' relays on that era game, but check your schematic. Both will be on the 'Control Bank' of relays, which should be located on the bottom score motor board.

So your homework is to learn about what a Control Bank is, and determine if it's resetting, and that both QB and SB have reset as a result. You'll see the required switches along the right side of your schematic.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JK Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
Various novelties

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotlieb-king-rock-play-field-mechanical-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.