pasted_image (resized).png
9066A1AA-FF17-478F-A960-14447F251C0C (resized).jpeg
251E1090-A713-4377-B15D-69547E899042 (resized).jpeg
3B44027C-1C5F-47CC-95E2-11FBB76DD9F1 (resized).jpeg
BF71BBDE-425E-4F51-BBAB-5EC4CA57D39D (resized).jpeg
IMG_0066 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
#1 4 years ago

Hello there, on my Happy Clown the 100 score reel does not advance during the 4. ball of the 4. player, and the 10 score reel does not advance during the 5. ball of the 4. Player. On all other balls and Players everything ok. Any ideas? I already cleaned the contacts on the ball played unit and on the 4th player relay, no change.

#2 4 years ago

You would need to find the circuits that send power to the 100 point score reel and the 10 point score reel. Most likely, power is not getting to the 100 point relay and the 10 point relay during those points in the game. Do you have a schematic for the machine?

#3 4 years ago

Well, the BPU is the main thing here, but there are some switches to check.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#4 4 years ago

Thank you for your help, yes I do have the schematics for the game and I also think the BPU is the main issue, but I will check all the switches on this part of the schematics, does anybody know what those 4 resistors are for?

#5 4 years ago

Gruezi Pinkas
one explanation of the resistors is "preheating the coils of AA-, BX-, CC- and DD-Relay(s)" - make them react faster.
another explanation is "suppressing sparks on the Balls Played Unit".
Once Your problems are fixed You may try: Unsolder one of the resistors - then watch the unit when it steps --- do You see on the one step "no more having the resistor" spark(s) ?

Bring Your pin in "Player-4 is playing Ball-5" - then a friend manually makes 10 points on the Playfield - YOU watch the M-10-Point-Relay - big question: Does the M-Relay actuate ? (The M-Relay probably is mounted in the Baxkbox.) Greetings Rolf

1 week later
#6 4 years ago

Hello there, finally got to it since it was a rainy yesterday. Found it and you were right it was the BPU, some " technician" took the hairpin out and let the BPU fall down on to the wood of the backbox and one of the spring loaded pins got bend a Little bit and so it could not reach al contacts any more, it was such a tiny distance between pin and contact point one could not see. Bent it straight and now all works fine. Thanks a lot guys for your help.

9 months later
#7 4 years ago

Well, it's been a while on this thread, but I have a somewhat similar issue, so here goes:

Game - Happy Clown

Status - got her all cleaned up and working - but two issues:

1) - Balls Played Unit - When a ball drains, the two switches under the playfield activate correctly (ball drain and lifter to allow the ball to be played again..sorry, do not know the correct terms/names here), the "BPU/Change Player" relay activates, the score motor turns (I've checked the switches which appear to be making / breaking correctly) - but the BPU itself does not fire/move what so ever...nuttin. I can manually step the BPU, but even tho it's on one Player, it steps to the next player, balls 1 thru ball 5 - then stops....so it looks like the stepper is working, but not getting a signal from the score motor to activate?

2) Player 1 only - 10's score reel does not roll over the 100's at all. I've checked/cleaned the 9's position switch, but again, nuttin All other players work correctly.

Any ideas ? All help is appreciated. Thanks!

#8 4 years ago

In reference to my last post - Score motor switches verified:

1A - 2nd
1D- 1st (inside)

2B - 3rd
2C-5th

Maybe I'm missing one..or two? Just not getting signal to the BPU??? Or so it seems...

IMG_0066 (resized).jpgIMG_0066 (resized).jpg
#9 4 years ago

And here are photos of the two switches and the relay I was also referring to I’d that helps ?

251E1090-A713-4377-B15D-69547E899042 (resized).jpeg251E1090-A713-4377-B15D-69547E899042 (resized).jpeg3B44027C-1C5F-47CC-95E2-11FBB76DD9F1 (resized).jpeg3B44027C-1C5F-47CC-95E2-11FBB76DD9F1 (resized).jpeg9066A1AA-FF17-478F-A960-14447F251C0C (resized).jpeg9066A1AA-FF17-478F-A960-14447F251C0C (resized).jpegBF71BBDE-425E-4F51-BBAB-5EC4CA57D39D (resized).jpegBF71BBDE-425E-4F51-BBAB-5EC4CA57D39D (resized).jpeg
#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

Player 1 only - 10's score reel does not roll over the 100's at all.

If the 100 Point relay (Q) doesn't activate when this happens Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
Starting with the Balls Played wiper and disc
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

but the BPU itself does not fire/move what so ever

If the Add Balls Played Unit solenoid doesn't get power when the ball drains, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#12 4 years ago

Will do this evening, thanks again HowardR! I'll let you know what I find out

#13 4 years ago

It was a blade on the BX relay not normally closed. Now it’s stepping thru the balls ok. And for a few it also started rolling the 10’s over to the 100’s. Thought the same issue caused the same problem for a second there.

Back to the score reel...almost there thanks HowardR!

#14 4 years ago

Well I thought I had it. Slightly adjusted one blade in the “M” relay. And was getting it to roll over. But then it would roll over almost every Time the 10’s were activated. So I re-opened that and I can’t get it to work in any fashion now. Even tried to close it again and it’s just not working (don’t think it was supposed to be closed anyhow)

Question HowardR- how / where would I jump for this one ? Especially on the BPU?

#15 4 years ago

Did you read the links I posted?

#16 4 years ago

Read yes. Understood thoroughly no. I see using the jumpers to possibly determine which switch may not be working correctly but not sure on where to place the jumpers?

#17 4 years ago

I’ll review again today and see if it gets clearer.

#18 4 years ago

If you'd like to try a phone call, send me your cellphone number in a private message and I'll make a first reply with a text message

#19 4 years ago

Howard you’re a big help. Let me get home (in Oregon right now) but later in the week I may take you up on that !

1 month later
#20 3 years ago

“HowardR” - Sorry this one skipped past me. Turned out it was the 9’s switch on the 10’s reel. I had adjusted that I know 3 times. It was working fine. Then it started acting up again. Looked once more and it wasn’t always making contact. Fixed! Thanks again !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotlieb-happy-clown-score-reel?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.