You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

Ok.. I picked up a 300 pretty cheap. It was stuck in a reset cycle. I thought I should be able to fix this! Well nope... I did get it out of reset. I actually was able to get it to kick a ball out and play. Scored fine but then on drain it stayed on player one ball one and would continue u on that way. I started cleaning and adjusting the switches. Now when I turn it on it kitsch the ball out but nothing has power. No flippers no nothing. I have read thru pages after pages of em tech to try to muscle thru this but I'm at a loss. Anyone lend a guy a hand that seems to no nothing about EM pinballs?

#2 6 years ago

What is happening now with the machine? You power on the machine, you press the credit/start button and ???... Do the score reels reset? From your post, it seems like as soon as you power on the machine, the ball kicks to the shooter lane, but there's no power to the playfield scoring features ie pop bumpers, rollovers, flippers, etc... We'll first need to determine if the machine will start the reset process. Are there credits showing on the credit reel?

#3 6 years ago

Check the switches in this circuit

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#4 6 years ago

Yes..I turn on the machine and the ball kicks out but the play field does power on. The replay button on coin door does nothing. If I manually flip the replay switch under the play field it seems like it resets but nothing.

#5 6 years ago

HowardR I'm doing my best but I'm not great at schematics. I can't find the switches

#6 6 years ago

Sounds like you have a start issue with the machine... I wouldn't worry about the ball kicking out to the shooter lane for now. I'd first look at the start up issue. If you made sure there are credits on the credit reel and the machine won't start a game, there is a "break" in the circuit that is blocking power to the start relay. You would want to look at the circuit that includes the start/replay button switch. Do you have the schematic for the machine? HowardR , do you have a section of the 300 schematic that shows the start/replay button circuit? I'd first check the zero position replay unit switch to see if it's clean and in the closed position. This switch is on the credit reel unit...

#7 6 years ago

I think you may be on to something. The credit switch says 9 in the half moon but on the back it seems to be stuck. I'll link a pic

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from SpinnerAddict:

HowardR I'm doing my best but I'm not great at schematics. I can't find the switches

Can you find the Tilt Hold (H) relay, the Game Over (Q) and the Reset Control (AX) relays?

#9 6 years ago

Yes. I can find those relays. Side note. When I turn it on now it just continues to run and it seems like the W relay 2nd chute relay just keeps flipping

#10 6 years ago

Ok. So I cleaned and adjusted the tilt hold, game over and ax relays. Now I turn on the machine and backglass lights up but that's it. Replay on coin door does nothing. If I trip the start relay it runs for 3 secs and stops

#11 6 years ago

So I cleaned and adjusted the tilt hold, game over and ax relays.

Rather than adjust all the switches on all the relays that might be involved, I recommend you use a step-by-step approach.
1) Can you find the switches I highlighted on my above schematic fragment?
2) Are you familiar with how to use a wire with alligator clips to find the exact switch (or switches) that needs work?

#12 6 years ago

Ok.
1 yes I found the switches
2. No I have no idea

Maybe I bit off more than I can chew. I was ok with some solid state repair and I did get my 1968 Williams 1 player EM running but this one seem awful.

#13 6 years ago

look at the coin switches on the door. With credit wheell jammed at 9 sounds like one of the switches stuck shut

#14 6 years ago

2. No I have no idea

Persistence will pay off but this is a hobby so you should work on it when you enjoy it. With that said, here's an extract from
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

Helpful Hint: Using Alligator Jumper Wires.
Another helpful hint is to use those alligator clip jumper wires to bypass elements when trouble shooting. For example, if there are two switches going to a non-working coil, use the alligator clip jumper wires to bypass one switch. If the coil now works, this shows the problem lies somewhere in the bypassed switch area. If there are a number of switches, start "furthest" away, and bypass all the "in-between" switches. If the coil works, move the jumper one switch closer to the coil. Repeat until the coil no longer works. Using this technique the area that has the problem is made smaller, and easier to examine and find the problem.

#15 6 years ago

Ok a little update. When I switch the machine on the backglass lights up. I am able to coin up and it adds credits on counter. Replay button on coin door doesn't work. It I trip the start relay the game goes thru the reset but the ball does not kick out and the playfield stays dark. I know it doesn't sound like much but I couldn't coin up before so I count it as a win. Any ideas on where I should start next?

Ps: I'm sure if this is some but the 1st ball relay is staying energized and humming a bit.

#16 6 years ago

Any ideas on where I should start next?

If you want someone to tell you the wire colors and relays of the switches, fredsmythson or Rolf will be a better fit for you. On the other hand if you want to learn to diagnose EM problems, here's the circuit that makes the Replay Button (V) relay activate when you press the Replay Button.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

3 weeks later
#17 6 years ago

Ok. It's been awhile but I did get the new coils and installed them. Now I power on the machine, it resets like normal but the motor on the cabinet bottom will not stop spinning. If I manually disengage the ax relay the motor stops. It kicks out a ball the playfield is fully powered. I can play the ball (flippers even work) then ball drains it kicks it back out but never advances the ball count. I can play 20 balls. It scores fine. I think I'm close ( I hope I'm close). Anyone have any ideas?

#18 6 years ago

P.S. the start button on coin door still doesn't work. I have to start with engaging the the start relay.

1 week later
#19 6 years ago

Just a follow up for anyone following this. I found a wire off on the stepper unit in back box. Soldered it and bam! I have a fully working gotlieb 300!!! Thanks everyone for all their help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Nashua, NH
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotlieb-300-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.