IMG_6274 (resized).JPG
IMG_7722 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 1.48.58 PM (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
20180609_144333 (resized).jpg
IMG_7624 (resized).jpg
IMG_7625 (resized).jpg
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Everything about my game seems to be working fine, but I found an issue in my 0-9 unit. There is a linkage that doesn't appear to connect to anything. There is a spring (see picture red circle on left) that looks like it was connected to the hole on the linkage (see picture red circle on right). Looks like the spring cut through the linkage. I can repair the cut in the linkage with J-B weld and reattach the spring, but I am wondering what the purpose of this linkage is. Can anyone tell me what purpose does this linkage serve? Also, is the spring configuration correct?

IMG_7624 (resized).jpgIMG_7624 (resized).jpgIMG_7625 (resized).jpgIMG_7625 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

you are missing the bell also

20180609_144333 (resized).jpg20180609_144333 (resized).jpg
#3 5 years ago

Gee, thanks for the reply and the picture! So, can you tell me if the bell part A-1168 is the same as the other bell in the backbox? If it's not the same, can you tell me the diameter it's supposed to be?

#5 5 years ago

Teach a man to fish.

#6 5 years ago

Thank you so much for the info. Found an old 3" plated bell and repaired the link. Reassembled and all is good! I never realized I was missing the sound of another bell. I have a little more troubleshooting to do....I was playing the game and when "Game Over," I matched the last digit and the credit reel clicked, and clicked, and clicked, and continued until it maxed out at 15. Hmmmm.... guessing I need to check the "O" and "X" relay switches?

#7 5 years ago

If your repair fails, I'm pretty sure Steve Young has that part.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

when "Game Over," I matched the last digit and the credit reel clicked, and clicked, and clicked, and continued until it maxed out at 15

I'll need to see a high quality scan of the schematic from e.g. Staples ($2) or Kinkos ($6)

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

If your repair fails, I'm pretty sure Steve Young has that part.

Yes he does, but I'm trying the JB weld fix. If it doesn't hold, I have a repair plan that will be more robust than how the part was made new (by bolting a doubler plate bolted across the thin area).

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

I'll need to see a high quality scan of the schematic from e.g. Staples ($2) or Kinkos ($6)

I have attempted to send you a schematic. If you don't get it, then PM with your email and I will email to you. Thanks.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Do macros still exist? If so, this has to be one.

Someone appears to be trying to build a library of Gottlieb schematics ala Frank Fuhrter of RGP fame...

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Yes he does, but I'm trying the JB weld fix. If it doesn't hold, I have a repair plan that will be more robust than how the part was made new (by bolting a doubler plate bolted across the thin area).

Highly doubtful, if you install a new part, that it would ever fail in this manner again.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

ala Frank Fuhrter of RGP fame...

While both Todd and Howard are from the same area, Howard actually offers specific technical help, while Frank, and/or SuperDaveOsborne can offer the occasional tip on how to clean a dirty something, but beyond that, not much technical. I bet they have bumped into each other at one point in time (much like I have probably bumped into Vid) and never knew it. The pinball world is small.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Highly doubtful, if you install a new part, that it would ever fail in this manner again.

Not sure what is "highly doubtful". I can repair the part for free and be absolutely sure it will not fail in the same manner.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I can repair the part for free and be absolutely sure it will not fail in the same manner.

But now, it may fail in a different manner. Now, you've added weight to the mechanism, and it will be slower. May hang lower and/or not plunge properly.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Do macros still exist? If so, this has to be one.
Someone appears to be trying to build a library of Gottlieb schematics ala Frank Fuhrter of RGP fame...

On the chance that EMsInKC is referring to me, let me know if you'd like to hear why I ask for schematics instead of pretending you can read my mind.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

when "Game Over," I matched the last digit and the credit reel clicked, and clicked, and clicked, and continued until it maxed out

Good copy of the schematic, thanks, JethroP
If the Match (O) relay locks on when this happens, check this switch on the Ball Release, which I think is here.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#18 5 years ago

I cleaned the ball release switch, appears to be adjusted properly, and still same problem.

#19 5 years ago

Is the Match (O) relay locked on?

#20 5 years ago

No. Here's what I did. I set the 0-9 to match on "0". I shot and drained 4 balls and kept the 1's digit to be "0" for a match. Then I simulated draining the 5th ball by manually closing the 5th ball switch. When I close the switch, the O relay pulls in, the score motor runs, and credit are added until I release the 5th ball switch. When I release the switch, the O drops out and the score motor stops. If I close the 5th ball switch, the O pulls in again, and the score motor starts, and credits are added again. This will continue until the "15th" switch is opened on the credit reel.

#21 5 years ago

I can't be certain but from the schematic it looks like that switch on the Ball Release should be open when the Ball Release isn't energized?
If you'd like to talk on the phone, PM me some contact information.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Not sure what is "highly doubtful". I can repair the part for free and be absolutely sure it will not fail in the same manner.

Well, I'll put it this way. In well over 40 years of messing with these games, I don't think I've ever seen a situation where a spring managed to chew through a part it is attached to. It's more likely that the spring will break than the metal part. That's why I said "highly doubtful."

Quoted from HowardR:

On the chance that emsinkc is referring to me, let me know if you'd like to hear why I ask for schematics instead of pretending you can read my mind.

I know why...

"diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires."

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

No. Here's what I did. I set the 0-9 to match on "0". I shot and drained 4 balls and kept the 1's digit to be "0" for a match. Then I simulated draining the 5th ball by manually closing the 5th ball switch. When I close the switch, the O relay pulls in, the score motor runs, and credit are added until I release the 5th ball switch. When I release the switch, the O drops out and the score motor stops. If I close the 5th ball switch, the O pulls in again, and the score motor starts, and credits are added again. This will continue until the "15th" switch is opened on the credit reel.

If you are holding the 5th trough switch closed manually and the relay engages and adds credits, then the relay is locking on and not dropping out as it should. When you are releasing the 5th switch, you're making the game think the 5th ball hasn't been played and thus the O relay will not engage. And check that motor switch to see if it is opening.

Check that lock in circuit, which is the switch on the O relay itself. If it is not normally open and is closed, that could cause what you're describing.

#24 5 years ago

Hay guys, you all know that we are not allowed to post Gottlieb Schematics on this site, right?

We get away with snippets and so we get to keep this, Please NO MORE public requests for Gottlieb Schematics.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-need-a-schematic-andor-manual-for-a-gottlieb-pinball-machine

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

Hay guys, you all know that we are not allowed to post Gottlieb Schematics on this site, right?
We get away with snippets and so we get to keep this, Please NO MORE public requests for Gottlieb Schematics.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-need-a-schematic-andor-manual-for-a-gottlieb-pinball-machine

There were no public requests for schematics here. One poster said he could help, but he would have to see a schematic in order to do so. There were no schematics posted here, just a snippet. Referring to the letter from Gottlieb in 2003, it demands this site shall not provide downloadable schematics. To my knowledge, it doesn't. One final comment: I much prefer my Bally games compared to Gottlieb, because there is an excellent internet knowledge base, including free manuals and schematics. Geez, Gottlieb went out of business more than 40 years ago. What's the problem with sharing old information to keep the old games operational?

#26 5 years ago

Good one, JethroP ! I've had a PM exchange with Chrisbee and understand what pinside wants.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

Chrisbee-I know you're just the messenger, but this is ludicrous on a number of different levels. Pinsiders generate tons of business for PBR by always referring an owner to them for schematics and parts, and the only requests for schematics are from those trying to help, since you really can't diagnose without one. It would be good for Gottlieb, et al, to rethink their policy for educational sites such as Pinside. I understand the thought that sales might be lost by full posts of schematics, but I really don't think it's happening and I know that I and pretty much everyone else here are not going to buy a schematic for every Gottlieb problem that is posted.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Chrisbee-I know you're just the messenger, but this is ludicrous on a number of different levels. Pinsiders generate tons of business for PBR by always referring an owner to them for schematics and parts, and the only requests for schematics are from those trying to help, since you really can't diagnose without one. It would be good for Gottlieb, et al, to rethink their policy for educational sites such as Pinside. I understand the thought that sales might be lost by full posts of schematics, but I really don't think it's happening and I know that I and pretty much everyone else here are not going to buy a schematic for every Gottlieb problem that is posted.

Totally agree. I don't know, but I can't imagine PBR sales of Gottlieb EM schematics exceeds 1 or 2 a month, or a handful a year. I think PBR makes their money on parts. Besides, the demand letter preventing the free downloads of schematics was written in 2003 by a company that is reported "DEFUNCT 1996." Is the demand even still valid? Maybe Steve at PBR could chime in and tell us how much business he might stand to lose if EM schematics were made available for free download here and other sites?

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 1.48.58 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-06-14 at 1.48.58 PM (resized).png
#29 5 years ago

Since they seem to have no legal standing with respect to these copywrites, I suggest all you pinside lawyers go ahead and make a bunch of photocopies and put them on ebay. Test the waters as it were.

Report back.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Totally agree. I don't know, but I can't imagine PBR sales of Gottlieb EM schematics exceeds 1 or 2 a month, or a handful a year. I think PBR makes their money on parts. Besides, the demand letter preventing the free downloads of schematics was written in 2003 by a company that is reported "DEFUNCT 1996." Is the demand even still valid? Maybe Steve at PBR could chime in and tell us how much business he might stand to lose if EM schematics were made available for free download here and other sites?

I'll venture to say PBR sells at least 50 Gottlieb schematics a year.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

PBR sells Gottlieb EM schematics at $16.50 each. If you're right, then they gross $850 a year. Minus the cost of the paper and labor to make them, they ain't making much.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

Since they seem to have no legal standing with respect to these copywrites, I suggest all you pinside lawyers go ahead and make a bunch of photocopies and put them on ebay. Test the waters as it were.
Report back.

No, don't put them on eBay. Make them available for FREE, like all the other defunct pinball companies allow.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

No, don't put them on eBay. Make them available for FREE, like all the other defunct pinball companies allow.

That's fine. Too. Go ahead and get them scanned and put them on your website. Let us know how that works out.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I would guess that it is closer to 20/month. Maybe a good idea would be to call him up and ask him, as we are trying to decide how much money he can live without in the future. Be sure to have a part number available.

#35 5 years ago

The number sold is not really the point; it's that they're being used for educational purposes here, and should be exempt under "fair use."

I would guess, though, that Steve pays a fair amount for license and that it is worth his while. I've bought five in the past year alone.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Uhh, well, that's exactly what IPDB was doing when they got the cease and desist letter from Gottlieb Development.

And while they don't make games, or at least pinball machines any longer, these companies are certainly not defunct. Gottlieb is gone but their rights certainly are not. Williams is still around, they still have the rights, and if you don't believe that someone is watching, contact Lee or Gordon at pinballrescue.net and ask them if Williams, or specifically Rick at PPS, is good with their marks and copyrights being given away or sold for a profit. Lee and Gordon had a license and Rick decided they didn't pay enough or something, but in any case, Williams/Bally schematics are free simply because Rick lets them be free. If he wanted, he could pull them back at any time.

By all means, go make some high quality scans at e.g. Staples ($2) or Kinkos ($6) and post them somewhere on the internet, and sit back and see what happens.

On other issues, did you fix your game?

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

The number sold is not really the point; it's that they're being used for educational purposes here, and should be exempt under "fair use."
I would guess, though, that Steve pays a fair amount for license and that it is worth his while. I've bought five in the past year alone.

But they're not.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

But they're not.

Any time I've seen someone trying to get a freebie they've been referred to PBR. All other requests are by people trying to diagnose problems.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Uhh, well, that's exactly what IPDB was doing when they got the cease and desist letter from Gottlieb Development.
And while they don't make games, or at least pinball machines any longer, these companies are certainly not defunct. Gottlieb is gone but their rights certainly are not. Williams is still around, they still have the rights, and if you don't believe that someone is watching, contact Lee or Gordon at pinballrescue.net and ask them if Williams, or specifically Rick at PPS, is good with their marks and copyrights being given away or sold for a profit. Lee and Gordon had a license and Rick decided they didn't pay enough or something, but in any case, Williams/Bally schematics are free simply because Rick lets them be free. If he wanted, he could pull them back at any time.
By all means, go make some high quality scans at e.g. Staples ($2) or Kinkos ($6) and post them somewhere on the internet, and sit back and see what happens.
On other issues, did you fix your game?

Yes, game is fixed. I cleaned and adjusted several switches.
On the other issue, I am not in favor of people photocopying schematics and selling them online. Instead, I believe in making them available as free downloads for troubleshooting support and parts identification. I'm talking specifically about EM games. Let's face it, no one is going to design and build a new EM game today, so it isn't an issue of exposing engineering and programing design. Having a schematic for an old EM is strictly for basic troubleshooting.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Which ones, for educational purposes?

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

On the other issue, I am not in favor of people photocopying schematics and selling them online. Instead, I believe in making them available as free downloads for troubleshooting support and parts identification. I'm talking specifically about EM games. Let's face it, no one is going to design and build a new EM game today, so it isn't an issue of exposing engineering and programing design. Having a schematic for an old EM is strictly for basic troubleshooting.

Nobody is worried about anything but protecting their copyrights and licensees.

You may not like it but them's the rules.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I did switches on the X relay, the O relay, the J relay, and motor switches. I'm guessing you could look at the schematic and see which ones I did. I probably cleaned and adjusted more switches than necessary, but I am new to EM troubleshooting and in some cases, wasn't sure which were the right switches. I'm learning though.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

I would guess that it is closer to 20/month. Maybe a good idea would be to call him up and ask him, as we are trying to decide how much money he can live without in the future. Be sure to have a part number available.

He sells a bunch more Bally, Williams and Chicago Coin schematics. After all, they break way more often than Gottlieb games.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

In well over 40 years of messing with these games, I don't think I've ever seen a situation where a spring managed to chew through a part it is attached to.

Having also worked with coin op games for over 40 years I "Have" seen springs eat through softer steel parts. Especially when they are anchored around the end of a shaft where there is a slot in it (like would normally have an e-clip).

So, its certainly possible. Especially if a stronger than normal spring was used at one time.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Having also worked with coin op games for over 40 years I "Have" seen springs eat through softer steel parts. Especially when they are anchored around the end of a shaft where there is a slot in it (like would normally have an e-clip).
So, its certainly possible. Especially if a stronger than normal spring was used at one time.

I can see that, but this part doesn't stress the spring all that much. And given that it won't get the abuse it did on location a new part would almost certainly survive with no issues.

I've never seen it even in a clip location. Guess I've been fortunate on this one.

#46 5 years ago

Agreed, a fresh part is the way to go IMO. Never been a fan of JB weld.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I can see that, but this part doesn't stress the spring all that much. And given that it won't get the abuse it did on location a new part would almost certainly survive with no issues.
I've never seen it even in a clip location. Guess I've been fortunate on this one.

I know I could have bought a new part, but the J-B weld repair is working just fine. In fact, it should be as good or stronger than the original part where it failed. I worked more than 40 years doing mechanical maintenance and engineering. Seen and fixed a lot of weird stuff, mostly steam and gas turbines. Just started buying pinball machines 6 months ago when I retired. Now I'm learning and doing my own maintenance on them. I can even make some parts in my shop. I'm also not opposed to buying new parts if necessary. My last check to Steve at PBR, one week ago, was for almost $300. But I like finding solutions to problems in the most cost effective way, and sometimes a new part isn't necessarily the best solution.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

I too have bought 4 or 5 this year alone. I hear what some are saying but, if you had the licence to sell GTB parts [I thought PBR have the parent licence, might be wrong] and then your sales began to drop because, for whatever reason, other people began to share their stuff for free, how would you feel about that? Look at how some copied Bally stuff suddenly dropped off sale a few years back, once a few 'cease and desist' orders were sent out? The key thing here is, in my opinion, that if PBR were to loose revenue they [Steve] could be forgiven into thinking, hell, why bother to continue re-manufacturing key parts when others are making their own - probably inferior too-parts?
I've had an account with PBR since 2004 and have enjoyed being able to get pretty much anything I need from them. So for me, let's respect their copyright. By all means share a snippet to get someone out of trouble here on this site, but if they don't want a full copy displayed where it can be pirated, so be it.
That's a freebie owed, Steve

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

"Educational purposes," for educational purpose here, is part of the verbiage in copyright law under "fair use."

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

But I like finding solutions to problems in the most cost effective way, and sometimes a new part isn't necessarily the best solution.

Honestly, if you are going to be in the hobby, and especially if you are going to concentrate on one brand (say, Gottlieb), you should buy a beater parts machine. I wish I had done that right off the bat, it probably would have saved me $500 or more over the last 10 years. In fact, every time I part a machine out, I sell a few parts to pay for it and end up with a ton of spares for other restorations.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotlieb-0-9-unit-spring-question-world-fair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.