GOTLE Node Board Update Failed

By toro1966

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hey guys. Have a GOTE that was booting fine and then I turned it on yesterday and it cam up with updating Node Board with three boxes 1, 8, 9. Then it says node update failed, cycle power. I do and have the same issue. I thought maybe it was corrupt r something so I updated to the latest version of the firmware (from Stern's website). It did that and seemed to work. I played a few games and then turned it off. Went to turn it on today and get the same crap again. Updating node boards, 1,8,9 - and then it fails.

Any idea where to start?

#2 6 years ago

Well two places to start. First would be connection. There are Ethernet cables (cat 5 cables with RJ45 connectors on them), going from node board to node board. Check all of them by unplugging, and plugging them back in.

If that doesn't help, call your distributor and let them know you think you have a bad node board. They may (depending on your level of expertise) walk you through some diagnostics. They may have you swap node boards with a different one in the game to see if the failure moves.

Finally, if the game is still under warranty, they will send you a new node board. Or if not, they still might depending how new the game is. And barring warranty replacement, they will be happy to sell you a new node board.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks. Based on the three boxes, is there a likelihood of which node would be bad/have a connection issue? again, it said 1 - 8 - 9. Thanks.

#4 6 years ago

This happened to me because I forgot to change the dipswitch on the node board to match the pattern of the one you replaced. 10 second easy fix on something I simply forgot to do.

Hope that helps.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks - I didn't change any node boards though. Hoping it's a loose cable as the pin was moved recently, but it worked after the move for a few games before it started to do this. Going to check all connections tonight and see if I can get her back up and running. appreciate all of the insight. I just don't know if the fact that it says 1-8-9 means I should be looking at those connections or others.

#6 6 years ago

Does it have the Stern topper?

The topper gets daisy chained right off the MPU. If you removed the topper and did not plug it back in...none of your node boards will be recognized

#7 6 years ago

Not to hijack the thread but can someone tell me where the node board gets its update from. My machine is not connected to the internet. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Not to hijack the thread but can someone tell me where the node board gets its update from. My machine is not connected to the internet. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.

The CPU updates them - usually when new code is installed (via USB) or when a node board is replaced.

#9 6 years ago

I do have the topper and triple checked it was plugged back in properly. It worked when I first turned it on. It wasn't until the next day I started having issues. Going to check for a loose wire this evening.

#10 6 years ago

Check at the MPU and the 'T' for the topper. I bet your problem is there.

#11 6 years ago

Could you post a picture of the failed node board?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Already quadruple checked these - they are connected the way they are supposed to - again - game played great for several games before it started having the issue.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Could you post a picture of the failed node board?

Don't know which board has failed. That's the issue right now.

#13 6 years ago

Disconnected topper completely and reconnected stock. Same issue. When I go into tech alerts I get - Node 1 not initialized, Node 10 not initialized, Node 11 not Initialized. Node 1 is the cabinet Node Board so not sure how to test these nodes. Any ideas? Is there a process? Manual doesn't indicate a method for checking them.

#14 6 years ago

Contact your distributor. You would need to go through them for a replacement and also they would offer some diagnosis.

#15 6 years ago

Thanks guys. Contacted distributor this morning and they are getting with Stern for a replacement Node 1 board (Cabinet Node Board). Will post updates when I receive the board and OPTEST. Thanks again for the help.

#16 6 years ago

Just bumping this thread because this exact same thing happened to me, and this suggestion hit the bullseye.

I plugged the two RJ45 cables from my dragon topper into the wrong inputs and it disabled the communication to the Node 1 board. Told Chas about it at Stern, and he had no idea why that would happen...but it happened.

Just in case anyone else moves their machine (like Toro1966 and I both did) and don't reassemble the topper EXACTLY as it was. It'll cause some headaches...

#17 6 years ago

Same thing happened to us with the 1,8,9 error. It wasn't seeing the first node board (assuming 1) because the topper was unplugged and the cable that originally plugged into the topper 'T'...was installed in the wrong port on the MPU (there are at least 2).

I 'think' it needs to be installed in the left one on the MPU...but that was a a few months...and many beers ago

Quoted from beelzeboob:

Just bumping this thread because this exact same thing happened to me, and this suggestion hit the bullseye.
I plugged the two RJ45 cables from my dragon topper into the wrong inputs and it disabled the communication to the Node 1 board. Told Chas about it at Stern, and he had no idea why that would happen...but it happened.
Just in case anyone else moves their machine (like Toro1966 and I both did) and don't reassemble the topper EXACTLY as it was. It'll cause some headaches...

#18 6 years ago

Same thing happened to us with the 1,8,9 error. It wasn't seeing the first node board (assuming 1) because the topper was unplugged and the cable that originally plugged into the topper 'T'...was installed in the wrong port on the MPU (there are at least 2).
I 'think' it needs to be installed in the left one on the MPU...but that was a a few months...and many beers ago

No...mine was in the right one. And while I was on the phone with Chas, he had me swap the line going from the cpu to node 1 between those two cpu jacks...to no effect. I think he said they were interchangable...or perhaps it was just to see if the cpu would read node 1 from the other jack. Who knows? But it works now, so thank you!

4 weeks later
#19 6 years ago

Hey guys, update - still not working. Replaced Node 1 board today. That has removed the Node 1 failed to initialize error. Now I am getting two more errors:
1 - Node 10 not responding
2 - Node 11 not initialized

What I've done:
1 - Check fuses in all node boards, twice in boards 10 and 11
2 - completely disconnected the topper to remove that from the equation at all. The two original node cables are in the MPU board as they should be
3 - Verified the two cables are in the correct location in the MPU. I traced them properly.
4 - Used a spare RJ45 (CAT 5) cable to replace connection at node boards 10, 11, and then between MPU and Node 1 and Node 10. Did these one at a time. No change to symptoms.

It comes up with "Updating Node Board 1-8-9" and then "Update Failed, please cycle power" each time. Not sure where to go now. Thoughts?

#20 6 years ago

Bump - any thoughts?

#21 6 years ago

Contact your distributor again.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Contact your distributor again.

While I do appreciate the thought - that's not the help I'm looking for. Where and what can I troubleshoot next? Is there a way to switch nodes and test them individually? Are there other tests I haven't tried yet, etc?

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

While I do appreciate the thought - that's not the help I'm looking for. Where and what can I troubleshoot next? Is there a way to switch nodes and test them individually? Are there other tests I haven't tried yet, etc?

You need to call Stern directly. They are good at troubleshooting these over the phone. 1-800-KICKERS

#24 6 years ago

Sorry you are having trouble...what you face is one of the main drawbacks to the spike system. "Call stern" is simply not acceptable and leaves a game down for much too long. We cannot diagnose these node boards without schematics. Big problem IMO. I'm sure stern will help you out and resolve it, but clearly you'd like to fix it yourself more quickly if possible. They may send you a new board, hopefully no charge, but this results in even more down time.

#25 6 years ago

Did you check the dip switch settings on the new boards. They should match what you took out.

#26 6 years ago

I am no expert, but I think just disconnecting the topper may not prevent the system from looking for it. Did you disable topper from the menu options?

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

This doesn't make sense to me. You're obviously knowledgeable with this stuff. You have tried to go through the basics, and it sounds like you got a replacement board for node 1 (that is my assumption from you saying "Replaced Node 1 board today.", but the way you say it, maybe my assumption is incorrect). After more than a month, why are you not on the phone with your distributor or Stern directly? What is the actual situation here?

#28 6 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys - a few answers:
1 - Yes I have contacted the distributor - that's how I got the new Node 1 board. That said, it literally took a month to get and was only received last weekend. Installed same day. Removed Node 1 Error, but not Node 10 and Node 11 error.
2 - While I am certainly not a pinball repair whiz, I have a basically working knowledge and several machines. I can do quite a bit with a little bit of direction
3 - Node 1 boards do not have any dip switches.
4 - I have not tried turning off the topper in the menu, but will try that.
5 - I can call both the distributor and Stern - and will - as soon as I can. I am West coast, they are mid west and with time zones and work, I just haven't been able to get a hold of them since I installed Node 1.

I have generally found this forum excellent for helping troubleshooting and that's what I was hoping for in this instance, until I can actually get a hold of Stern/distributor.

Quoted from Lermods:

Sorry you are having trouble...what you face is one of the main drawbacks to the spike system. "Call stern" is simply not acceptable and leaves a game down for much too long. We cannot diagnose these node boards without schematics. Big problem IMO. I'm sure stern will help you out and resolve it, but clearly you'd like to fix it yourself more quickly if possible. They may send you a new board, hopefully no charge, but this results in even more down time.

Thank You. You hit the nail on the head!

#29 6 years ago

Looks like I have a bad Node 11 Board as well. Swapped 11 and 8 and error has moved to 8.

6 months later
#30 6 years ago

What was the resolution on this?

I'm curious as I have a pro and all symptoms pointed to bad node board 9. I purchased said board for $200 plus shipping and this did not solve my issue (this was AFTER Stern sent me the wrong board and argued with me they did so...I had to physically send them photos to prove their error - not sure if it was on Stern or distributor for ordering wrong part. either way my pin has been down for nearly 2 months with no resolution. I'm a busy guy and don't have the availability to call Stern directly when I'm physically with my pin so that adds to the delay and headaches).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnt Cabins, PA
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotle-node-board-update-failed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.