Topic poll

“SW vs GOTG to go with a BM66”

• Star Wars Pro 36 votes
    47%
  • Guardians Pro 40 votes
    53%

(76 votes)

#1 5 years ago

Now that the code has reached maturity on GOTG, any thoughts on these two titles in comparison to each other? I know they're not the most loved titles out there, but they both seem to fill a niche of faster ball times in the group of new Sterns. I've played a decent amount of GOTG but unfortunately the orb drop target wasn't working and I couldn't really hear much to judge the sound. Still, it was kind of addictive in a one more game sort of way. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a BM66 for a variety of reasons and am looking to maybe add one more pin. With BM66 being a longish ball time game I was thinking a harder/faster game might be a good option and I like both themes (or I could just wait a year for TNA).

Anybody have both?

#2 5 years ago

put up a poll.

I dont own either but I played both them alot at TPF, I liked SW better at the festival.

#3 5 years ago

I have a feeling your “Variety of reasons” you are getting BM66 is the theme of the game. I love BM66 theme and seeing shots of the show on the LCD also. Just a guess.

I own SW and love the theme and gameplay. Many different ways to play the game. Great short ball pin. The multiplier you move around is great and very challenging. A lot of folks who don’t like it have trouble moving the multipiler around or just don’t like doing it. It is maddening moving it and while you play and that is why I love it.

I recently sold my IM after having it almost 4 years. GOTG will likely be the replacement. I need that short ball time butt kicker of a pin back. TWD is also a good option for you.

I would look at SW now and pick up a HUO one. Prices are good on games at the one year mark of games because after a year some folks make a switch to a new game. I like the Premium, but Pro is a lot of fun also.

#4 5 years ago

I’d rather get TWD pro

Sound replacement and color DMD make TWD pro awesome.

#5 5 years ago

I dont care for SW without the hyperspace wireform...it just seems even more empty. GOTG surprised me on location, but I cannot comment on the pro since I have only played the LE.

#6 5 years ago

I own them both, plus Metallica and TWD pro. I like Guardians the most of those 4. I listed all 4, because someone mentioned TWD. I am not knocking TWD, it has a good following. The reason I mention MET is because many of the people that rate Guardians badly, do because they say it is the same layout as MET. I don't see that as bad, MET is one of Stern's best games, so I see being complained to MET as a plus.

I don't care for the music and imagery on MET that much. I love the music and art on Guardians.

Have not talked about SW, it is a good game, but I like Guardians much more. I am a fan of Funhouse and Roadshow, so of course I love Groot.

The reason they make so many games is because different people like different things.

#8 5 years ago

I have a BM66 and both GotG and SW. I think both GotG and SW would be good choices. If going for the pro I think SW pro misses a lot by not having the hyper loop. On the other hand, although GotG pro is missing a few features (Full RGB inserts, spinners, 2of3 magnets, opening orb, Groot arms, and maybe a couple other things) game play is very similar to the prem/LE. At the pro level especially the art is better on GotG than SW. Thus for a pro GotG might be the better choice.

#9 5 years ago

I can't believe it. I was literally going to start this exact thread later today!

I played SW and GotG on location, and I actually preferred how GotG played, but wasn't too sure about the rules. SW still seemed fun, and I understand the rules are better, but GotG was not finished rules wise when I played.

Looking forward to reading others opinions.

#10 5 years ago

i have both. they are completely different types of games. GOTG is a nice feel good pin. lots of flow and shoot feel fun. SW is super fast and can get crazy. The hyperspace shot is a challenge a little bit. Very hard to compare these titles. Would be an easier compare to GOTG to a JJP pin and SW to GOT.

Play what you like. both are fun. both are good in 1 collection as they are so different.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

Now that the code has reached maturity on GOTG, any thoughts on these two titles in comparison to each other? I know they're not the most loved titles out there, but they both seem to fill a niche of faster ball times in the group of new Sterns. I've played a decent amount of GOTG but unfortunately the orb drop target wasn't working and I couldn't really hear much to judge the sound. Still, it was kind of addictive in a one more game sort of way. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a BM66 for a variety of reasons and am looking to maybe add one more pin. With BM66 being a longish ball time game I was thinking a harder/faster game might be a good option and I like both themes (or I could just wait a year for TNA).
Anybody have both?

We have both. If you want harder/faster, SW is the way to go. The hyperloop in SW is insane, so think about a prem/LE. GOTG has longer ball times and if you go a premium or LE the magnet action is similar to TAF in orb multiball. Both games are great and very different so I do not think you can go wrong with either one. We love both of them. They go well with BM66 as they are all different. All three are very much loved titles at our place.

Play them both and see which one you like best.

Good Luck!

#12 5 years ago

i would take star wars. gotg is good game and all, but star wars is faster, deeper, more challenging. i admit i'm biased as a SW fan. but i dont like the GotG movies, but I do the like game.

#13 5 years ago

Id suggest go play GOTG again the codes changed like 4X already.

#14 5 years ago

Had both. GOTG is gone

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Had both. GOTG is gone

Did you sell GotG before or after code updates?

#16 5 years ago

Before...Admittedly, it's a much better game now but I still prefer SW. The rules and flow are more my style.

#17 5 years ago

I have the LE's of both and honestly love them both. I tend to play star wars more because it leaves me with the "just one more game" feeling. And I love the challenge of it. Guardians feels completely different to me, still fast but not brutal like star wars. I can have extremely long games on guardians fairly consistently and it's pretty rare on star wars.

#18 5 years ago

So a 28-27 landslide win for Guardian. I guess it's decided.

Star wars is a better theme for the family slightly and I feel that it's actually integrated better because of the sound/music. I just worry it might be too brutal (for the family, of course . . .).

At the very least it seems like both pins are fun to own. Thanks for all the feedback.

In the end

#19 5 years ago

I played both, I ordered a GOTG. I am a Star Wars fan from way back, but I had more fun playing GOTG.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

So a 28-27 landslide win for Guardian. I guess it's decided.
Star wars is a better theme for the family slightly and I feel that it's actually integrated better because of the sound/music. I just worry it might be too brutal (for the family, of course . . .).
At the very least it seems like both pins are fun to own. Thanks for all the feedback.
In the end

Lower posts, long ball save lower EB acites and you should be good. I don’t think younger kids care too much getting deep into a game. They enjoy the theme, music, lights and LCD screen as part of the experience. Heck I do too!

Good kids theme is POTC. Had mine for a while and loved it. GLWTC!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Corning, NY
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 210.00
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
Armor and blades
Electronics
Space Coast Pinball
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 28.00
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotg-vs-sw?hl=zaki and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.