2022-12-12 08_38_32-Boot stern- (D_) (resized).png
Screenshot_20221128-230251 (resized).png
Screenshot_20221127-221032 (resized).png
2jlz4j (resized).jpg
4DDDBB15-0229-4B4F-BD99-83D52270EB6E (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2022-01-06 153140 (resized).png
FC5CC318-1388-49A5-9068-EEFEF1F19C1E (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,428 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 29.
#651 4 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

No. And the clips never line up because the video never has them speaking.

Awesome. Love the sounds just wanted to make sure I didn't screw anything up.

#652 4 years ago

Mr. Cleland,

Just wanted to say thank you for your work on this sound mod! Received my GOTG Pro yesterday, installed your mod a couple hours ago. Took an amazing game and made it even more addicting. I have not been able to stop playing. As I write this, forcing myself to go to bed lol.

Also, thank you to other contributors in this thread who's advice from which memory card to get to the .img file installation helped me get going.

Thanks again!

#653 4 years ago
Quoted from cldgin2:

Señor cleland
¡Solo quería decir gracias por tu trabajo en este mod de sonido! Recibí mi GOTG Pro ayer, instalé tu mod hace un par de horas. Tomó un juego increíble y lo hizo aún más adictivo. No he podido dejar de jugar. Mientras escribo esto, obligándome a ir a la cama jajaja.
Además, gracias a otros contribuyentes en este hilo que me aconsejaron desde qué tarjeta de memoria llegar a la instalación del archivo .img me ayudaron a comenzar.
¡Gracias de nuevo!

+ 1

1 week later
#654 4 years ago

Sounds great, I can put the old sd card in to go back to stock if I ever sell, correct?

#655 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Sounds great, I can put the old sd card in to go back to stock if I ever sell, correct?

Yep, piece of cake to convert it back but the new owner will probably want the better sound package anyway, right?

#656 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yep, piece of cake to convert it back but the new owner will probably want the better sound package anyway, right?

I would assume so but if they haven’t played it much before they may want to hear both. I prefer the Cleland sound for sure!

#657 4 years ago

Does anyone have the link to the v1.06 Sinestro version? I downloaded from post #506 but it sounds like its also the Cleland version.

#658 4 years ago
Quoted from JayTeeF:

Does anyone have the link to the v1.06 Sinestro version? I downloaded from post #506 but it sounds like its also the Cleland version.

What’s the difference? Just curios, I think I did the top one which is Cleland

#659 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

What’s the difference? Just curios, I think I did the top one which is Cleland

Basically the only thing changed in this version is the movie lines.

Sinestro was nice enough to send me a copy of it. If anyone needs it feel free to send me a PM.

#660 4 years ago

Hey guys,

Brand new pinball owner, just got my machine last night. So two quick questions... I'm fairly technically savvy but I figured I want to cover all my bases here as this is all new technology to me: How risky is doing this, provided I follow the steps outlined (get a new SD card, flash the image and use that, not messing with the original SD card). In phone speak, when I used to flash ROMs, what's the risk of "bricking" my shiny new pin? Is there any? Is just reverting to the stock SD card enough to put it back to factory?

What about updates? I've seen the base code from Stern hasn't changed since December, but if a new code update does come out, can I follow the instructions from Stern and update, or do I have to wait for a new image file? IE: Will it either not work or wipe out the new sounds?

Thanks everyone, really excited to be part of this now.

#661 4 years ago

Not too risky. It used to be super risky, before Stern put the SD card files on-line in their "Support" section. Just keep your original SD card separate and protected. Flash a new SD card with the code you want and install it. Done.

You will have to wait while it says "Updating Node Boards". Again, a little nerve racking watching the screen flash and others have said they had issues, but many of us have never had any issues with a different SD card. Assuming you made a good SD card with your desired code.

#662 4 years ago
Quoted from Rake:

Hey guys,
Brand new pinball owner, just got my machine last night. So two quick questions... I'm fairly technically savvy but I figured I want to cover all my bases here as this is all new technology to me: How risky is doing this, provided I follow the steps outlined (get a new SD card, flash the image and use that, not messing with the original SD card). In phone speak, when I used to flash ROMs, what's the risk of "bricking" my shiny new pin? Is there any? Is just reverting to the stock SD card enough to put it back to factory?
What about updates? I've seen the base code from Stern hasn't changed since December, but if a new code update does come out, can I follow the instructions from Stern and update, or do I have to wait for a new image file? IE: Will it either not work or wipe out the new sounds?

I'd rank the risk as very low but I guess something could happen. When updates have come out it is best to wait for cleland to have a look at it and see if you can just do the update to your moded card or if he needs to generate a new version of the ROM. It can happen either way depending on what and how significant the changes are.

#663 4 years ago
Quoted from Rake:

Hey guys,

I am not tech savvy, and this was really easy.
Just have at the right size SD card, and it's really easy.
I don't know how this could "brick" the machine. But that's beyond what I know.

#664 4 years ago

I tried to download on a 16gb card. Says the file is to big. Tried on 2 different computers. Any idea?

#665 4 years ago
Quoted from Muskie82:

I tried to download on a 16gb card. Says the file is to big. Tried on 2 different computers. Any idea?

Follow post #387 exactly. You should be good to go

1 week later
#666 4 years ago
Quoted from Muskie82:

Yeah, you need an image writer to write the image to the card. I guess your card is FAT formatted so a file larger than 2GB is not accepted.

Use etcher to "burn" your sd card and you're good to go.

#667 4 years ago

Replaced my card yesterday after picking up my GOTG last weekend. I love this mod, callouts are more vibrant and the machine feels more alive. Replaced the stock cabinet speaker by a subwoofer combined with a high pass filter. I need to set the volume somewhat higher with this new setup but it adds a great value. The machine is alive!

Thanks mr. Cleland.

#668 4 years ago

So I got past my nervousness this past weekend and went for the new sound mod. Everything went super smoothly. I didn't even have a time delay like someone previously mentioned waiting for things to update so I didn't have the stress of "is this working..?". Greatly improves the game I already enjoyed. Super cool, and a great job by Cleland, Kudos.

#669 4 years ago

What am I doing wrong here?

I put the Cleland .img file on an SD card, tried an 8gb, 16gb, and 64gb card. NTFS formatted and then just put that file on there, I put it in the machine and boot up and get nothing. When I got back to the Stock SD card, it plays fine, I did update the flash to 1.06.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to keep those two original Stern files on there as well?

#670 4 years ago

Hummm... Done last week and works perfectly...as you described. Do you have put the good 1.06 img file ?

#671 4 years ago
Quoted from Yfichelle:

Hummm... Done last week and works perfectly...as you described. Do you have put the good 1.06 img file ?

I think so; which link is to the good one?

#672 4 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Big thanks applejuice, sinestro , and cpr9999 For all their help with disk imaging.
To make it easy, here are links to all current 1.06 versions for both PRO and LE/Premium.
PRO Cleland Version 1.06 (Features Music Change and Movie Lines)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsraz2lqjinfimk/GOTG%20CLELAND_PRO_1_06.img?raw=1
PRO Sinestro Version 1.06 (Features Stock Music and Only Movie Lines Replaced)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lzt00yswin0qd4m/GOTG%20SINESTRO_PRO_1_06.img?raw=1
LE/PREMIUM Cleland Version 1.06 (Features Music Change and Movie Lines)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ylj6nderwtztq2/GOTG_CLELAND_LE_1_06.img?raw=1
LE/PREMIUM Sinestro Version 1.06 (Features Stock Music and Only Movie Lines Replaced)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9pvvs45unmc1he/GOTG_SINESTRO_LE_1_06.img?raw=1

These links

#673 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

What am I doing wrong here?
I put the Cleland .img file on an SD card, tried an 8gb, 16gb, and 64gb card. NTFS formatted and then just put that file on there, I put it in the machine and boot up and get nothing. When I got back to the Stock SD card, it plays fine, I did update the flash to 1.06.
Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to keep those two original Stern files on there as well?

You're looking at it wrong. You must image your sd card from the image the wonderful mr Cleland provided. So take your SD-card, the image and Etcher. Open etcher, select your SD-card, select the image and flash the image to your sd-drive. As simple as that.

Afterwards you can see a small file (from the top of my head this is a .spk file) on a small partition. Then you know that you imaged it correctly.

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

#674 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

You're looking at it wrong. You must image your sd card from the image the wonderful mr Cleland provided. So take your SD-card, the image and Etcher. Open etcher, select your SD-card, select the image and flash the image to your sd-drive. As simple as that.
Afterwards you can see a small file (from the top of my head this is a .spk file) on a small partition. Then you know that you imaged it correctly.

Aha!!!

I will try this asap...Thank you!!!!

#675 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Worked like a charm...Thank you!!!!!

#676 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

See my original post at no. 514 for what i did. - > https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotg-sound-replacment-mod/page/11#post-4749719
Its based on the sinestro version (stock mode music, real actor voices) by cleland and we chatted alittle about adding some more songs and changing a couple of the song placements like the end of game music. In summary it adds more song choices to the part when the tape player is playing.

Hey Applejuice, is your Mod for both the Pro and Premium - https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2aqcssxwf8uzmp/gotg-mypinballs106-8gb.img?raw=1

I have a Premium arriving this weekend and would like to use your extra-songs version of this awesome mod.

#677 4 years ago

SO I have an interesting situation. LOVE The Cleland mod .. but it seems to have a bug that impacts my Orb drop target. I can hit thing thing head on 10 times but it only registers maybe 2-3 times. When I switch back to the Stern code, it seems to work totally fine. I've read many posts about a bug with the Orb drop target. Am I losing my mind? Is this only an issue with the Cleland mod? Is that even possible?

My machine is brand new (3 days) so i can go back to the dealer to try to fix it, but since it seems to work with the original code I think I may be stuck with the Stern code and lose all the great music.

#678 4 years ago
Quoted from Bb_the_man:

SO I have an interesting situation. LOVE The Cleland mod .. but it seems to have a bug that impacts my Orb drop target. I can hit thing thing head on 10 times but it only registers maybe 2-3 times. When I switch back to the Stern code, it seems to work totally fine. I've read many posts about a bug with the Orb drop target. Am I losing my mind? Is this only an issue with the Cleland mod? Is that even possible?
My machine is brand new (3 days) so i can go back to the dealer to try to fix it, but since it seems to work with the original code I think I may be stuck with the Stern code and lose all the great music.

That seems odd as the Cleland Mod only replaces music/callouts. Is the Stern Code and the Cleland code the same base version? All of my drop target issues went away with some bending of the target, and I've been rocking the sound mod for > 1 year on my Premium..

#679 4 years ago

OK - that answers one of my questions. This is my first machine so I'm learning how these mods work ...

so when you bent the target, was this in the back under the orb or did you bend the popup? I seem to have issues with both -- target not giving credit for the hit and the popup get stuck as well. Popup hasn't gotten stuck once with the stern code but seems to stick about 40% of the time on the Cleland. I must be losing my mind. So -- which do I bend a bit?

#680 4 years ago

OK -- I'm convinced I've not lost my mind. Took the glass off and manually threw balls at targets -- it almost never registers with the Cleland code. as a total newbie here, I am thinking maybe I've done something wrong with the update. The Stern instructions mention running a "full update" with the new SD disk. I never got this option when I stuck the Cleland code in ... could this be my issue? It sure feels like a code difference ...

#681 4 years ago

Got the Cleland mod as well but my orb switch doesn't have an issue. Maybe you should first get your original sw up to date (1.06) and then replace your SD card with the cleland one. (Also v1.06).

#682 4 years ago
Quoted from Bb_the_man:

OK -- I'm convinced I've not lost my mind. Took the glass off and manually threw balls at targets -- it almost never registers with the Cleland code. as a total newbie here, I am thinking maybe I've done something wrong with the update. The Stern instructions mention running a "full update" with the new SD disk. I never got this option when I stuck the Cleland code in ... could this be my issue? It sure feels like a code difference ...

I would try reflashing your Cleland SD card. Cleland's changes could not cause your problem, but there is a chance the code on your SD card was corrupted somehow. I'm not sure if it's possible to just cause this one issue, but strange things happen.

#683 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I would try reflashing your Cleland SD card. Cleland's changes could not cause your problem, but there is a chance the code on your SD card was corrupted somehow. I'm not sure if it's possible to just cause this one issue, but strange things happen.

Agreed, this is how I'd proceed as well.

#684 4 years ago
Quoted from Bb_the_man:

Did you verify both SD cards have the same code version on them? Power up the game with whichever one you currently have installed and note the version number on the boot screen. Power off, swap cards and repeat. You may need to update the code on the Cleland card.

#685 4 years ago

Thanks all -- I"ll try a new SD card tonight. Wish I could attach a video showing the Orb issue I'm having, but it NEVER happens on 1.06 of Stern. They are both "1.06" but i suppose it's possible there are newer/older version. Will post what I learned.

Also curious. As a 100% newbie here, are there any youtube videos you'd suggest on learning how to maintain one of these things. I'm admittedly a bit afraid to tinker too much with a $6000 machine. But there are definitely some things I'd like to adjust. E.g. after initial launch, the ball almost always holds up on the top of the playfield for a few seconds. Also, tilt is VERY touchy. would love to learn how to adjust these things. hell, I'd pay for a course somewhere ....

#686 4 years ago
Quoted from Griffin:

Hey Applejuice, is your Mod for both the Pro and Premium - https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2aqcssxwf8uzmp/gotg-mypinballs106-8gb.img?raw=1
I have a Premium arriving this weekend and would like to use your extra-songs version of this awesome mod.

Hi

Yes I made 2 versions. See post 634

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotg-sound-replacment-mod/page/13#post-4998634

#687 4 years ago
Quoted from Bb_the_man:

Thanks all -- I"ll try a new SD card tonight. Wish I could attach a video showing the Orb issue I'm having, but it NEVER happens on 1.06 of Stern. They are both "1.06" but i suppose it's possible there are newer/older version. Will post what I learned.
Also curious. As a 100% newbie here, are there any youtube videos you'd suggest on learning how to maintain one of these things. I'm admittedly a bit afraid to tinker too much with a $6000 machine. But there are definitely some things I'd like to adjust. E.g. after initial launch, the ball almost always holds up on the top of the playfield for a few seconds. Also, tilt is VERY touchy. would love to learn how to adjust these things. hell, I'd pay for a course somewhere ....

Another thing, and I don't know if that has been covered yet. Do you have the right Cleland version? So, if you got a PRO machine, also use the PRO Cleland version.

#688 4 years ago

Thanks for the thought .. I did confirm I pulled the correct PRO version. So this is killing me it is so weird. I downloaded the Cleland mod to a different SD card last night. Now the target gives me credit for hitting it, but the drop target never comes up. BUT I'm not getting Orb Multiball credit. Only credit for hitting a marked target. This is an improvement -- I was getting really frustrated not advancing through levels properly. Also strange, the purple circle light under the orb is no longer lighting.

Last ditch effort - before bed last night I changed from "quick" to "full" to see if that makes a difference. Took so long I was too tired to play when it was done, so I'll try it tonight after work.

#689 4 years ago
Quoted from Bb_the_man:

Thanks for the thought .. I did confirm I pulled the correct PRO version. So this is killing me it is so weird. I downloaded the Cleland mod to a different SD card last night. Now the target gives me credit for hitting it, but the drop target never comes up. BUT I'm not getting Orb Multiball credit. Only credit for hitting a marked target. This is an improvement -- I was getting really frustrated not advancing through levels properly. Also strange, the purple circle light under the orb is no longer lighting.
Last ditch effort - before bed last night I changed from "quick" to "full" to see if that makes a difference. Took so long I was too tired to play when it was done, so I'll try it tonight after work.

Keep in mind the Orb target and awards are different in some modes than others, for instance you cannot collect Orb locks when you're in Quill's quest 2-ball however the behavior you describe still doesn't sound right.

#690 4 years ago

Probably obvious, but when you reflash the SD card, I would do it with a fresh download of the file. Something could have gotten corrupted anywhere along the line...

#691 4 years ago
Quoted from Bb_the_man:

As a 100% newbie here, are there any youtube videos you'd suggest on learning how to maintain one of these things. I'm admittedly a bit afraid to tinker too much with a $6000 machine. But there are definitely some things I'd like to adjust. E.g. after initial launch, the ball almost always holds up on the top of the playfield for a few seconds. Also, tilt is VERY touchy. would love to learn how to adjust these things. hell, I'd pay for a course somewhere ....

Not sure exactly what you're referring to about the ball staying at the top of the playfield.

But, as a novice pinball machine owner myself, I can tell you that adjusting the tilt sensitivity is pretty much one of the easiest things you can do. Here's a video from Stern that should be helpful:

#692 4 years ago
Quoted from Bb_the_man:

Maybe your downloaded image is corrupted and you need to download it again. Or maybe your sd card is bad.

1 week later
#693 4 years ago
Quoted from midhandicapper:

Not sure exactly what you're referring to about the ball staying at the top of the playfield.

I assume he means that when you launch the ball (or it auto-launches). Really annoying when you're trying to finish a mode with time running down!

I posted about it with in the main GoTG thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread/page/47#post-4452292

Check pitch, if it has levelled off bit (mine is on carpet) then this happens more often.

#694 4 years ago

I just received my GOTG pro. Would love to make these changes. I went to the drop box link from post 364 and it says this link does not exist. Has something changed. Is this code still available?

#695 4 years ago
Quoted from masterofnone51:

I just received my GOTG pro. Would love to make these changes. I went to the drop box link from post 364 and it says this link does not exist. Has something changed. Is this code still available?

Go to post 506

#696 4 years ago

Thank you Imagamejunky! Which post # has the most up to date installation instructions for a new pin owner? And is Mac the prefer computer to copy these files?
Thanks

#697 4 years ago

Thank you Imagamejunky! Which post # has the most up to date installation instructions for a new pin owner? And is Mac the prefer computer to copy these files?
Thanks

I did the instructions in post #387 - I think they are still valid!

#698 4 years ago

Thanks

You're welcome. Follow the instructions on 387 to a tee. I recommend PC. But that's purely because I hate Apple

#699 4 years ago

Ok, so Guardians is one of our favorite movies in this household, so when I first saw the Stern pinball announcement I was drooling over every picture I could find. This was one of the first pinballs I wanted to buy in forever, and I'd never owned a new machine before. Ran down to the nearest arcade to play the Pro as soon as it came out and remember being so disappointed with it. The change in voice actors absolutely killed me, but for whatever reason I didn't care for the game itself either with the original code. Big relief that I didn't blind-buy it.

A few months ago I finally tried it again and while I still hated some of the voiceovers, the new code updates since last I played it seemed to make it a lot more enjoyable. I don't even know what was really changed, but I was having fun with it now. Perhaps my own overhype had died down and I wasn't expecting as much from it, but I enjoyed the game so much now that I was actually considering looking to buy one again.

So now I'm back lurking Pinside forums and marketplace for the first time in many years and to my surprise, I just happened to find this thread by a Google fluke. The whole thread completely blew my mind. Had no idea music and voice swapping was even a thing in the newer machines now, and with all the Cleland praise here I had to see this firsthand for myself so I followed all the tutorials you guys put together here and ran down to my local arcade with the 16gb card ready to go!

Holy **** I must been there for 4 hours today enjoying every minute of this mod.
It's a complete night and day difference maker and really filled the empty feeling of what was missing for me to the point i need to own this now.

Still have many questions of what's possible and curious as can be about trying the other variations like the Applejuice remix etc, but really just wanted to say thanks to Cleland and everyone else in here that helped make this possible. (and painless!)

#700 4 years ago
Quoted from Rengozu:

The whole thread completely blew my mind. Had no idea music and voice swapping was even a thing in the newer machines now, and with all the Cleland praise here I had to see this firsthand for myself so I followed all the tutorials you guys put together here and ran down to my local arcade with the 16gb card ready to go!
Holy **** I must been there for 4 hours today enjoying every minute of this mod.

Your local arcade let you swap the SD card into their game so you could play it??? That's pretty damned impressive.

Mike Vinacourt (sp?) and others worked with Lonnie and re-worked the scoring, changed some of the modes and most importantly added Cherry Bomb MB, this really changed the game and made it much, much better. When I first got it you just kept going to Orb MB over and over but now it's worth it to finish modes. Of course the sound is still pretty lousy but thankfully we have cleland to save us from that. When I bought my Pro lightly used from someone upgrading to a Premium I figured I'd own it a few months then flip it for something else but I really do like it better than just about every Stern that's been released since it so it's still here. If you like the movies I think it's hard not to love the game now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,495 (Firm)
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,428 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotg-sound-replacment-mod/page/14?hl=cyberkryten and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.