(Topic ID: 224080)

GOTG, Pro or Premium? Are the differences worth it?

By PinsOnly

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

How many of the inserts are not RGB on the Pro? How much difference does the 3 Magnets vs 1 Magnet make? Spinners? That important?

Any other differences I am not seeing, besides art and Groot hands?

I have heard the game is very good now? Is this generally true?

Thanks, Dave

#2 1 year ago

I enjoy the Pro a lot. Played an LE a few times, didn't really notice any of the improvements and found the groot hands annoying.

#3 1 year ago

I went with a pro. The premium / LE features just didn't seem like they were worth the price.

#5 1 year ago

Someone remade the groot hands and supposedly positioned them so as not to be "annoying". So if you want them, they are available.

#6 1 year ago

Go pro the Groot arms are terrible and block your shots. You got spinners but you can't even see them with the Groot arms.

#7 1 year ago

RGB inserts, spinners, 2 more magnets, Groot arms and art are the only differences I can think of. I went Premium, but really this is one of the best featured Pros when compared to the Premiums. None of the differences affect gameplay in any way.

#8 1 year ago

Game is very good now IMO. I didn't see sufficient value to go Premium on this one.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from sethi_i:

RGB inserts, spinners, 2 more magnets, Groot arms and art are the only differences I can think of. I went Premium, but really this is one of the best featured Pros when compared to the Premiums. None of the differences affect gameplay in any way.

The Orb is fixed and so is Rocket on the Pro, they both move on the Prem and LE I believe.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

the Groot arms are terrible and block your shots

I wouldn't go that far. I like the arms. I think they add a very cool aesthetic to the game. Also, it takes a half-second head shift to see if the Ronan insert is lit, which is the only thing the arms really block. I saw a video of the Mod arms and didn't like the paint/realism nearly as much as the stock.

Having said that, the Pro isn't a big compromise on this game.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Someone remade the groot hands and supposedly positioned them so as not to be "annoying". So if you want them, they are available.

Where can you get these?

And I say pro also

#13 1 year ago

Thanks for the info and opinions everyone, a couple more questions, How many songs did they wind up with in the game? Are they integrated somehow or do they play randomly? Also, I have seen some complaints about the voices in the game, are they generic copies? Any good? or are they taken from the movie clips using the real actors etc?

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinsOnly:

Also, I have seen some complaints about the voices in the game, are they generic copies?

All voices were done by voice actors--not the real actors from the movie. They're....ok.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

All voices were done by voice actors--not the real actors from the movie. They're....ok.

This is easily fixed by running cleland code which mixes in a LOT of the actual voice clips from the movie.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

This is easily fixed by running cleland code which mixes in a LOT of the actual voice clips from the movie.

He also added a ton more songs from the movie.

#17 1 year ago

Have a look at the features Matrix, and decide if the extras are “Worth it” to you.

Everybody with a Pro will tell you the Premium isn’t worth it. Everybody with a Premium will tell you they couldn’t live with a Pro.

I learned to love the game on a Pro on location. It’s a really fun game. Can’t go wrong.

The Spinners are a huge plus in my mind. Everybody has different priorities though.

Best of luck

http://sternpinball.com/upload/games/guardians-of-the-galaxy/premium/GOTG%20Feature%20Matrix.pdf

#18 1 year ago

How about the light show? That is probably another difference i assume right? None of the extra features add up value wise im sure, its just a matter of if you want the extras or not. Its like on MET, that is another strong pro model but i ended up going Premium because i wanted the spinners and the light show mainly and it also has a couple of other things like the coffin hammer and the rising cross also. Those features definitely dont add up to the 1500 extra that i spent but i still enjoy them and i will be able to do so for the rest of my life because the game is a keeper for life for me.

If the game is going to be a keeper then i would consider a Premium model but if you know that you will trade it in a few years id go with the pro for sure. Ive played the pro on GOTG and its really a great game. There is no shame in pro models like some people try to lead you to believe on here. I have a TWD Pro, AS Pro, and a GOT Pro and i love all three of those games and im not bothered by my choice at all with them. I also have a GB, MET, and IMDN all in Premium models, and out of those three only the GB is truly worth the extra money to go Premium.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

How about the light show? That is probably another difference i assume right? None of the extra features add up value wise im sure, its just a matter of if you want the extras or not.

Yes, The light show is usually the deal breaker on Pro's for me, but I like that the shot arrows on the Pro on GOTG are RGB lit, which is great! If it's GI Lighting, I am not as concerned about it as we prefer to play in pretty bright light anyway. What other inserts are RGB lit and do they play a big part in the overall game?

I do appreciate all the insights here. I have been trying to scan through the pinside threads here, but it is tough, the GOTG is here thread is 86 pages and the owners club is 56 pages or something. It is tough to find the specific info.

#20 1 year ago

I have looked at the features matrix and the differences aren't that great, but am just trying to get some insights. It is difficult to get unbiased opinions as people with games love them until they are gone, then once sold, it is not so good...

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinsOnly:

Yes, The light show is usually the deal breaker on Pro's for me, but I like that the shot arrows on the Pro on GOTG are RGB lit, which is great! If it's GI Lighting, I am not as concerned about it as we prefer to play in pretty bright light anyway. What other inserts are RGB lit and do they play a big part in the overall game?
    I do appreciate all the insights here. I have been trying to scan through the pinside threads here, but it is tough, the GOTG is here thread is 86 pages and the owners club is 56 pages or something. It is tough to find the specific info.

I dont know what other inserts have RGB lighting but none that matter i would say. You can also change up the GI lighting if you like to your taste. I could definitely live with a GOTG Pro i will tell you that right now. If money isnt an issue then go Premium but if money is an issue go pro and dont look back. When i play my TWD, AS, and GOT, i never think “i wish i would have went Premium” while im playing them. I never think that ever and i LOVE all three of those games. GOTG Pro is FANTASTIC trust me and you wont be disappointed if you get one at all.

#22 1 year ago

I was in your spot a few months ago. had enough money for premium or pro. went with pro after some advice on here. added about 600 dollars in mods and i love my pro plus the artwork on cabinet and backglass of the pro were my favorite. get a shaker plastic protectors. speakerlights. pinblades etc. etc. go crazy. my pro to me looks like a full feature game and i have about 6200 in it compared to spending 7300 so i feel good about my choice and its a keeper. love it! the advice i liked the most was buy another pin with the difference and i did. picked up a flight 2000 a few weeks ago and its cool as hell.

#23 1 year ago

Groot arms are one of the very few recent missteps by Stern. They absolutely block your view and I would not want them on my machine.

#24 1 year ago

Stern's most solid Pro. The changes between it and the Premium when it comes to affecting the ball are nill.

3 magnets instead of 1, and spinners.

That's it.

Everything else is cosmetic.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinsOnly:

I believe all the inserts in the Prem/LE are clear and RGB lit as opposed to just the arrows on the Pro. This makes for a cooler light show for certain but I don't know that it affects game play in anyway. Look for some youtube videos of both, there is a really good one of Bowden playing the Pro and I've seen some shorter ones of the Premium in play. I played both nearly side by side not too long ago and the Premium is definitely nicer to look at and has those cool extra elements like spinners. I bought a Pro but mainly for two reasons: 1) I don't know that I'll keep it for a very long time (I might as I do really like it) and 2) I got a really good deal on one that was nearly brand new.

Can't go wrong either way on this game IMO, but only you can decide if it's worth the extra $$ for the Prem/LE.

#26 1 year ago

I had an LE and sold it no regrets looking back but if I did that pin again I would go pro. I played a ton of games on my buddy’s pro and it is fantastic.

Also you will not take as big hit if you decide to sell the pro down the road.

#27 1 year ago

Only an idiot would buy the LE

Only an idiot would buy the Premium

Only and idiot would buy the Pro

Only an idiot would buy a Pinball Machine!

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Only an idiot would buy the LE
    Only an idiot would buy the Premium
    Only and idiot would buy the Pro
    Only an idiot would buy a Pinball Machine!

Why would you say these things and own 30 games? Im totally lost here and scratching my head.

#29 1 year ago

Shoot, I didn't even know the prem/LE had more magnets. When are they utilized? The prem and pro I get to play on location act the same way. I always thought their would be magnets under the PF to catch a ball where the hands are but I've never seen it happen. All I ever see is just the magnet dance when the ball comes out of the orb.

Both are fun. This is a game that really got knocked due to bad launch code. Current code makes it so much more fun to play. Almost to the point I've thought about switching up my MET for one as I love the MET layout but prefer the mode based games.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Why would you say these things and own 30 games? Im totally lost here and scratching my head.

He's kidding around and pointing out how ironic it is that different people sometimes say the same negative thing about each version of the game.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

What’s not to understand here?!

I’m an idiot. Ask anyone who knows me!

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

It's called "Canadian Humor", eh.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

What’s not to understand here?!
    I’m an idiot. Ask anyone who knows me!

Well so am i but not for owning pinball machines. Thats actually one of the few smart things ive ever done in my life.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 59.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    Lighting - Backbox
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Lighting - Interactive
    TheDudeMods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.95
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 10.95
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 18.95
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 200.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside