Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pdxmonkey
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Just saw the gameplay teaser on GOTG--Orb Multiball seems to involve a ball locked behind a drop target. I'm interested to see where, if anywhere, this goes.

#2 6 years ago

Technically they already did it with Star Trek. I think I only see one drop.

#3 6 years ago

Yeah, looked more like Star Trek to me than TNA.

#4 6 years ago

Let me take another look--Danesi doesn't use a magnet to trap ball, if I recall correctly, like ST does.

#5 6 years ago

Scott has said in interviews that he kinda cribbed the idea from Star Trek, lol.

#6 6 years ago

Scott's innovation seems to be the inline multiple balls being locked.

#7 6 years ago

I've heard the interview, but this seems different. ST doesn't release the ball when the drop is hit. The drop reveals the ball, held by a magnet, which you have to knock loose, like SM and, to a lesser degree, LoTR. TNA's lock is mechanical, not magnetic, which SEEMS to be the case with GoTG. The video isn't crystal clear, though.

#8 6 years ago

If I remember right Vengeance locks involve the magnet, but Klingon locks are only caught / held / released by the drop. Either way, yes it's half a Danesi lock, but it's the half that had been done before. Scott kicked it up with the inlines.

#9 6 years ago

At first glance it looks like it, but it's not. Just played a ton of TNA last night and I can assure you this mech is different.

#10 6 years ago

Everybody steals everything from everybody else. The only person in pinball I've ever heard bitch about it is Jpop which is hilarious because half his stuff is cribbed from old EMs.

And Steve Ritchie always says people are stealing his playfields but he has a pretty good case on most of 'em.

#11 6 years ago

OK, then--if I'm wrong, I should kill this thread. The headline isn't fair.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

I've heard the interview, but this seems different. ST doesn't release the ball when the drop is hit. The drop reveals the ball, held by a magnet, which you have to knock loose, like SM and, to a lesser degree, LoTR. TNA's lock is mechanical, not magnetic, which SEEMS to be the case with GoTG. The video isn't crystal clear, though.

No

Locking the ball in ST is the drop is raised triggered by the opto. The ball is released by the drop by the game. It also has other modes, including the magnet holding a ball with the drop down, and more.

The GotG mech looks like the ST design with a target behind it... for a single ball.

The Danesi Lock is about doing the drop target holding a ball for MULTIPLE stages.

#13 6 years ago

Yes, Danesi lock is three drops, not one.

#14 6 years ago

Lock no

Stern new logo yes

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotg-looks-to-have-appropriated-danesi-lock?hl=ghostthruster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.