20180116_224646 (resized).jpg
GOTG Tape Deck (resized).JPG
GOTG Capture (resized).JPG
F001E89D-9FDB-4550-B4B8-4BA6106E6BA6 (resized).jpeg
20180108_220850 (resized).jpg
20180108_220851 (resized).jpg
20180108_220848 (resized).jpg
20180108_220852 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider t-800.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 6 years ago

Mode Status during selection - this is an absolute must. I should be able to see how many shots are remaining on a mode before selecting it to decide if I want to try and beat it or move on and get closer to the extra all and the first wizard mode.

Upgrade/Crank it Up - many of the modes reduce the number of shots to just the two ramps or two orbits. More unique rules for hitting this would be nice. Right now I avoid it intentionally on some modes because it makes the mode completion more difficult.

Mini-wizard modes - my biggest beef with Aerosmith is it basically just has the two wizard modes - one for starting all the modes, and the other for when you complete it. this game needs some interim mini wizard modes to go after that make you feel like you got somewhere special on the game without having to get to one of those big wizard modes. i.e. DTR in LOTR, or Light Saber Duel or Escape Boba Fett in SW, HOTK in GOT, etc.

Groot - we absolutely need him to "speak" to us. I know it's gimicky, but watching that jaw move while hearing "I am Groot" will be cool every time he does it.

Rocket - that shot is crazy tight and super risky. Spelling rocket should carry over from ball to ball and not reset on the next ball.

Mode Champions - it would be cool if each mode had a champion you could put your initials in for. gives home and on location players one more reason to try and dig deeper and get more points on a specific mode.

Groot MB - it would be nice if the logic followed similar to Aerosmith in allowing the user to choose when to go for MB or risk delaying and trying to lock more for more points. The MB is too easy to get right now, I'd prefer to see a few more shots required, or maybe some other mechanic to light groot to open his mouth for locks and then build up. Option to have a 2 ball MB if wanted, or go for 3, or for 4 first time through. Subsequent times through could require more effort to light the lock in the first place, similar to what is programmed today.

Super skill shot - really, 1 million for hitting a super tough shot? this should be MUCH more. and grow higher every time. there should be a super skill shot champion and extra award/mode if you complete all 3 of the super skill shots (orb, right ramp, and right orbit). how cool would that be? tie it into Yondu's arrow or something in light of the fast, precise nature of the shot.

Spelling Guardians - i believe this lights mystery, does maybe something else? here is another opportunity to add a fun hurry up, etc. with some cool lighting effects, etc. maybe completing enough hurry ups starts a special mini-wizard mode. something new and fresh that you don't see every time, but also something that can be reasonably achieved.

Songs - ditto on what O-din said. I nit picked this previously and didn't see a good way for these songs to be introduced without getting old - i take that back, random selection of 6 to 8 tracks playing while you are in between modes would be a good way to use those licenses without making them too repetitive.

End of ball character shots - another opportunity for a hurry up or some other substantial reward - if I hit every shot on the playfield during one ball it would be cool if that started a hurry up or built up towards a mini-wizard mode or something. one more layer to add to this game.

Other than the obvious additions of more music, callouts, video, and audio, I think the base rule set is solid and fun. These other items could take it over the top and add that lasting value to a home location and provide more on location incentive to play.

As an owner of a Pro, I find the game really fun to play but question it's lasting ability. Seeing some of these ideas implemented would go a long way in changing that to its "bolted to the floor." The artwork, music (in and out of modes), video clips (I don't care what people say about them feeling "disjointed," I like the ones I've seen) and shots are really well done along with a top theme of mine.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I disagree. Having the wizard mode too easy for good players can cripple a game. Once it is beaten regularly it becomes boring quickly.

Exactly, keep the main wizard modes as is in difficulty to get to, they are acheivable as is, but add some other mini wizard modes to keep it fresh and have some minor objectives to go for and feel good about getting along the way.

1 week later
#59 6 years ago
Quoted from JMcDonald:

Installed .85 on an LE. I must be missing something. The upper top-right drop-in lanes. I light them both. And they just stay lit? Nothing is awarded, they just stay lit? What the heck is up with that? I must be missing something but it's confusing me because I know of no other game that does this.
Still disappointed .85 does not offer a heck of a lot more. Still no scoring balance and the modes still seem worthless going for. Still just shoot Groot, no?
I'm also still surprised at how little is accomplished in 3+ weeks of code development. Why can Stern not hire more developers? Just odd.

They stay lit because you need to complete all the lower lanes as well to light your shot multiplier which will then be locked on the next subsequent shot.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from JMcDonald:

Wow, really? Has any other game ever done this? This was not obvious to me at all (Is there some indication that this is what a player needs to do?) Am I the only one who did not realize this? Probably, lol.

I would say I'm pretty seasoned and pick up on rules pretty quickly, but it still took me a time or two playing to realize they didn't cycle through with the other 3. You'll also notice the two inserts on the left inlanes cycle between each other and not the three across the bottom. That was somewhat new to me.

This type of code helps illustrate how difficult a job our beloved pinball programmers have - write a ruleset that intrigues and challenges seasoned players as well as being fun and enjoyable for people who have stepped up to the game for the first time.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

OK, I guess I just didn't realize this...
The vertical bars under the timer in the upper left corner of the display show the number of shots required and each bar lights as the shots are made progressing through the mode. Some modes require more shots than others. Would still love to see less shots required to complete the mode. I think the average requirement was about 12 shots. (8 modes... that a lot of shots). Or is the strategy to start as many different modes as possible, not necessarily finishing them? Will you get to "Immulation" MB more easily?
Can someone help me with the "Guardians" letters across the top of the screen. Usually half lit and I've seen them progress. What am I hitting to make them progress? Should I be trying to progress from a strategy? Worth it?

Hitting the large target enough times also lights mystery at the scoop. This is critical to have lit before starting a MB as it awards add-a-ball and advances towards the super jackpots and completing the multiballs.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

TF was that way. That's why you'll constantly see players backhanding the left ramp again & again to light each multiplier

Actually - TF cycles through the inserts at the top right lane AND the bottom right lanes together via the right flipper button and the opposite for the left flipper. GOTG doesn't cycle any of the lower inlane inserts with the upper inserts. TF is also unique in that it has two inserts to light on each of the two top lanes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.50
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Salem, VA
$ 28.00
$ 25.00
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider t-800.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotg-code-feedback?tu=t-800 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.