20180116_224646 (resized).jpg
GOTG Tape Deck (resized).JPG
GOTG Capture (resized).JPG
F001E89D-9FDB-4550-B4B8-4BA6106E6BA6 (resized).jpeg
20180108_220850 (resized).jpg
20180108_220851 (resized).jpg
20180108_220848 (resized).jpg
20180108_220852 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobukcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#223 6 years ago

Does anyone else think the multiple sequences at the scoop (when lit) during MB takes too long to complete? If you have a mode finishing up and /or going to Level 2, a Mystery and an Extra Ball lit it can sit there and take a really long time to go through all those animations. During that time it isn't firing out ball save balls and double flippers don't appear to speed through them. I know I should probably be happy about it and try to use that time as a bonus of having a "safe" ball but it usually doesn't feel that way to me and I'm wishing I could speed up those sequences.

#230 6 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Perhaps. But I have greater probability of getting big scores when I do.
I agree that mode scoring can also be nice (relative to Groot), but they're not as big as Orb.
Scoring priorities:
1) Orb MB -- and I don't bother with Rocket 2x scoring.
2) Modes
3) A *distant* third of Groot MB. Each Groot JP base is only 100K. Compare this to each JP base on Orb of 3M -- Orb JP's are worth 30x Groot JP's!!! You can have your 5x value on Groot JP shots that correspond to your completed modes. I'll still take my 3M over your 500K JP's.
Try this sequence:
- Use initial ball-save time to get shots in on Orb standup and Orb locks.
- Use Groot MB and Quill's Quest 2-ball mode to complete yellow standups for 3 Hadron Enforcer hits per completion, but DON'T use them yet.
Also use these MB's to be sure to get 2x shot multiplier on the Broker (Orb) shot.
- Once you have 1-2 completions of HE targets (meaning you have 3-6 smart missile shots), start an Orb MB -- even better if you have a mode stacked in the background. ** THIS IS CRITICAL ** On the full orbit plunge of the 2nd ball to start Orb, take one quick shot at the Orb drop target, and if you miss, IMMEDIATELY use one HE to hit the drop and lock in your Orb JP hurry-up value at 3M. Otherwise, it can quickly degrade to only 1M.
- During Orb MB, shoot the easy shots of the ramps, Groot, and loops for 3M each -- even better if you shoot them in combos, because their value will be doubled. Hopefully, you may have gotten a random bounce into the StarLord scoop, too.
- Now use at least 2 HE to take out Rocket death shot and tough Yandu deadend shots -- even better if you shoot the R ramp first, because the first one will be 6M.
- Next, shoot the L ramp and immediately shoot Orb -- or use another HE -- for a doubled (due to combo) 2x Jackpot for 24M (base of 6M as a 2x JP, doubled due to the 2x shot multiplier, and doubled again due to shooting as a combo).
- Last, shoot the L ramp again and immediately shoot the Orb for a MASSIVE Super Jackpot that is the sum of all your jackpots, but quadrupled (doubled due to the 2x shot multiplier, and doubled again due to shooting as a combo).
- Super Jackpot value: let's assume a very conservative value of only 2 of your Orb JP's were doubled due to either a 2x shot multiplier or shooting as a combo, and the remaining 7 JP are the base value of 3M. And let's assume that you missed your combo shot on the final 2x jackpot, so you only got 12M for it. Your Orb SJP base value = 2*6M + 7*3M + 12M = 45M. Even if you don't combo into your SJP, you'll be getting 90M for it! (because of the 2x shot multiplier) And if you do combo it, it's 180M!!
- Bigger SJP value: let's assume you played Orb a bit better than the above, and you got 5 JP's doubled, 4 JP's at regular value, and you successfully hit the ramp before using an HE for your 24M 2x Jackpot. Here's the math: SJP base value = 5*6M + 4*3M + 24M = 66M. You combo into your SJP that has a 2x shot multiplier, and your Orb SJP is a whopping 264M!!!
Rinse/repeat. Do another Groot to restock your Hadrons, then do another Orb.

That's a very detailed walk-through on how to rack up big points, thanks! To go back to the question of balance, should something be done to make Orb worth less points or other modes worth more? The orb shot isn't a super-easy shot and fairly high risk as it can lead to a SDTM bounce off the post or a wicked rebound off the target if hit hard so maybe just restrict how much the hadrons can be used during the mode or make it much more lucrative to have modes completed prior to starting the MB?

#233 6 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

I believe so, yes. I’m fine with there being some nice scoring in Orb, but Lonnie and team solved the Groot one trick pony in rev0.87 by simply creating another one trick pony — the latter of which is even more overwhelming than the first. Lol.
Possible solutions: lower the beginning/max value of the Orb JP. And/or don’t allow a Hadron to spot the initial Orb release shot. And/or make the Orb SJP a triple JP (base value simply 3x your Orb JP value) and not the aggregate sum of all your collected Orb JP. Or go back to the prior Orb MB Gameplay logic where you had to alternate between any lit shot and the Orb. They made the Orb Gameplay progression to the SJP *easier* in 0.90 — making Orb MB even more overpowering. Smh

I like the idea of not allowing the Hadron to spot the first Orb release but I think it might be cool to also have some kind of multiplier or other value increase for how many modes have been completed. Maybe something similar to how the number of artifacts you've collected affects each shot value during Final Frontier in STTNG (I know that's going way back, lol).

#234 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

That's what I was thinking, I think that would make it more fair and should be easy to implement.........

It would help, but I didn't have a Hadron when I started Orb MB, bricked two shots at it and ended up at something like 1M for the base JP and still put up almost 800M during Orb MB (finally stopped bricking shots at some point and picked up Hadrons) so I think something more than that may still be necessary.

#247 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Seems like both of you are on the Prmeium/LE. You both used "magnets" plural.
I wonder if the Pro is playing differently?
I hope not....the magnet effect on the Pro .85 game at the arcade near me is damn near perfect.

I haven't noticed it being any different on my Pro, sometimes you get more action than others but I'm not getting many outlane or SDTMs which is the important part to me.

#251 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

It won't. It's been at my distro since before it dropped. No worries, I'll have the USB stick ready to go!

What you really mean is you'll have a new SD card with cleland version of the sound package on .90 ready to go, right?

#253 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

With .90, it really seems that fresh blood is working on the code for this game now. Anyone know if this game has been transferred over to one of the new programmers at Stern, like Tim Sexton?

I don't remember the name of the guy from Stern that was on the stream from TPF with the preview of the code but he did say he was working on the rules with Lonnie now.

#256 6 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Mike V, ( vinacour?)
Yeah he seems very involved in the re-design of the old code into whats now a good and fun 0.90
I feel the main wizard is achievable , been close a couple of times , (and way off a lot of other attempts). Works well because I keep coming back like IM or AFM, not too hard but tough to master.
If some extra timed compulory combo’s could be added in the modes, that would boost it.
And maybe lower the combo champ to 5, that way the screen gets used 15 as a base seems on the high side

Yeah, that's the guy. He was on Dead Flip's stream from TPF explaining it: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/239792323

1 month later
#281 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Is the orb magnet on the Pros fixed in the most recent code or is it still just tossing it to the left outlane?

Mine very rarely tosses it into the outlane and it never really has so I don't think it's really code related. More often than not on mine the ball will slow or pseudo-stop and then drop to the left flipper, sometimes the right. May have something to do with how steep the game is setup, mine is about 7.25 - 7.5 degrees.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 22.50
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Salem, VA
$ 28.00
$ 25.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobukcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotg-code-feedback?tu=bobukcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.