IMG_0466 (resized).JPG
IMG_0449 (resized).JPG
IMG_0453 (resized).JPG
IMG_0248 (resized).JPG
IMG_0246 (resized).JPG
IMG_0237 (resized).JPG
IMG_0234 (resized).JPG
IMG_0231 (resized).JPG
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I just picked this up today ... Back Glass is pretty bad (see there is a repo on Ebay) ... Cabinet has been painted over and had some cat crap on it ... anyone have a Space Ship cabinet ? (cheap or reasonable... prefer cheap ..LOL) ... I'm in Cleveland, OH but would drive 3 to 6 hours for decent one ... or I could repaint ... Cleaned game up a little and plugged it in .... it works !! kind of ... lights for scoring not changing ... will check fuses and do some cleaning ... will probably need some expert help from you all .... I LOVE the SPACE THEME pins !!!

IMG_0218 (resized).JPGIMG_0218 (resized).JPG
IMG_0219 (resized).JPGIMG_0219 (resized).JPG
IMG_0222 (resized).JPGIMG_0222 (resized).JPG
IMG_0226 (resized).JPGIMG_0226 (resized).JPG
IMG_0229 (resized).JPGIMG_0229 (resized).JPG
IMG_0230 (resized).JPGIMG_0230 (resized).JPG
IMG_0231 (resized).JPGIMG_0231 (resized).JPG
IMG_0234 (resized).JPGIMG_0234 (resized).JPG
IMG_0237 (resized).JPGIMG_0237 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

ALSO > NO LEGS .... Will Bally legs from 1980's work on it?? I thought some manufacturers used same legs ... ??

#3 6 years ago

Cool game. Maybe the original design is hiding under the repaint. If it's latex paint it can be removed with some effort.

This would have had chrome 28.5" legs originally. The Bally legs will work.

#4 6 years ago

AlexF THANKS for info ! Any recommendation on paint strippers ? I have to look around on internet for pictures of cabinet ... also a schematic (or order one from Pinball Resources ! ) ... game definitely has some issues ... I was fiddling with it and now the lights in BG are out ... and one of the relays was sticking (game over?) started smoking a bit ... yikes ... I was looking for a project pin (should be careful what I wish for ... LOL) .... It's a cool game though ! ... has 2 holes in middle of PF that ball can drop through and under PF into a trough that send it back to ball launch point ...

#5 6 years ago

It's a neat game. I've heard it's tough. Which is nice in a home game.

I've used Motsenbocker's Lift-off with some success removing a latex repaint. It took some work though. There are other methods detailed in Pinside.

PBR should have the schematic. Usually a machine like this that has sat a long time requires a complete going over. Check out the EM section on Pinrepair.com for reference.

The two holes are called gobble holes. A lot of people aren't fans of them but I think they are great if the risk is worth the reward.

#6 6 years ago

PBR has the schematic. That's where I had to go when I got my Space Ship a few years ago.

Not to disappoint you but this game takes 31" legs. Gottlieb legs will work but mine came with original Williams legs.

I haven't gotten around to shopping mine but I'm of the impression it is a challenging but appealing player.

#7 6 years ago

Oy, that game will need a lot of love, but it's worth it. You might as well repaint the cabinet if stripping doesn't work. This game came with two different graphics designs on the cabinet, so you have a choice to make if you repaint it. Great game, but I believe it has more ways to lose the ball than just about any other pin!

#8 6 years ago

The original backglasses are usually shot on this game as is yours. I'm not crazy about that repop, but I guess it's better than nothing. Your game looks complete, and the inside of the head looks pretty good.

#9 6 years ago

YES > It is going to need A LOT of love and attention ... will be a learning experience ... will see if I have the patience ... AlexF > I have read 2 of Pinrepair's articles ... Looks like I will be referencing those a bunch ... Thanks for reminder !

jrpinball > 2 different cabinet designs ... that's interesting ! I will Google that and see if I can find any images ... The repop BG doesn't look very good in person? price is right $150 ... Does anyone ever photograph their backglass then photoshop image to fix the bad areas and then have it printed on vinyl (kind of like a translite) ??

MikeO > I saw you on the owner's map ... not very many of these pins still around ... 31" legs > DANG (a buddy has a set of Bally legs sitting around) ...

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from SpaceTimeGuy:

2 different cabinet designs ... that's interesting ! I will Google that and see if I can find any images

Look here: http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=Space+Ship&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#2259
Oddly, I've never seen one with the yellow graphics, only the aqua and brown scheme.

#11 6 years ago

The repop BG doesn't look very good in person? price is right $150

Yeah, the price is right, but the colors aren't quite right. It's Lexan, and has some kind of coating; not screened I think. Maybe similar to BGResto. As I said, it's better than a hammered original or nothing, but I was disappointed in how it came out.

#12 6 years ago

Looking at your original backglass, most of the flaking is in the unlit areas. The translucent parts (hardest to retouch) look pretty good for the most part. If you carefully scrape away the loose ink in the unlit areas, then seal the glass with Krylon Triple Thick, you could repaint the opaque areas and as long as you match the colors reasonably well, it'll be hardly noticeable even when lit up. It won't be perfect, but that glass is salvageable.
A couple of other things about this game; it's gotta have one of the heaviest single player playfields ever, with a ton of components on the underside.
You almost never find one of these, or other Williams pins of this era, with the metal box around the replay unit intact. You can see the two small threaded holes
on the back of the unit. There is supposed to be a metal box which completely encases the replay unit, screwed over the unit. This was intended to shield the replay unit from possible tampering. Believe it or not, it wasn't uncommon for cheaters to bore a small hole into the side of the lightbox and insert a stiff wire to try to manipulate the credit wheel for free credits. The metal box was installed to thwart any such attempt. You rarely find one installed though.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Look here: http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=Space+Ship&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#2259
Oddly, I've never seen one with the yellow graphics, only the aqua and brown scheme.

Mine must have had the aqua and brown (I can see a little aqua paint where the legs were) .. the yellow and white was very plain ... the aqua and brown is much better .... don't think the aqua and brown matches the BG and PF colors very well.... but since it isn't in the greatest shape > maybe I will get creative and come up with my own paint scheme ...

By the way > THANKS for IPDB link ... I should have checked there first !

Backglass > Touch-up > I was kind of thinking the same thing ... This PF isn't great ... got the pin for a good price ... would like to save it BUT don't want to dump a bunch of money into it ... I know someone with a airbrush too ... Since it's not in great condition > I could live with an OK backglass ... and the lady and space station are in good shape fortunately !!

#14 6 years ago

As long as the Bally legs you have access to are 31” they will look fine.

The playfield is so heavy because there is a stepper for each of the four columns of lights on the playfield.

It is definately a worthy game to bring back. If it’s too much for you hand it off to someone who will be able to address it.

I just finished shopping a 1962 Williams Trade Winds that started out about the same condition as your SS, sans the painted cabinet, and everything came back just fine. I did have to rebuild the flippers and pop bumpers with new parts and come up with a few score reel parts but it plays great.

#15 6 years ago

MikeO > 31" legs > I will have my buddy measure them.

"The playfield is so heavy because there is a stepper for each of the four columns of lights on the playfield." Aaaaahhh > wondered what those 4 steppers did ... lot of mechanics to change some lights .. LOL

"If it’s too much for you hand it off to someone who will be able to address it." > RIGHT ... I gonna try to get it working 100% ... painting cabinet will be easy part.

"shopping a 1962 Trade Winds" > NICE !!! So cool to save a pin ... work of art and electric/mechanical marvel ... it just blows my mind every time I look inside a pinball ....

#16 6 years ago

OK ... FORGET >> "I need a cabinet" ... I'm going to repaint with my own design ... sure some people saying "OH NO" ... but the original graphics aren't very good and don't really match the colors on the BG and PF ... probably a rocket on the side of the head .... and maybe the lady flying thru space on the cabinet .. ? ... will try to include the gyroscope space station some where ... any graphics designers (or creative types) have ideas ??? ... that will have to wait until Summer tho ... I spent an hour or so cleaning contacts in cabinet tonight (I know ... I should have done that before plugging it in > but I'm impatient and was optimistic that MAYBE it would "just work" ... LOL) ... some things started working (advance bonus lights on lower playfield, lights under plastics in middle of PF that say Special when Lit) ... then some stopped working ... a lot of work to go ... IT IS FUN TO PLAY!!! ... thumper bumpers are strong and I love the gobble holes (although it doesn't keep track of balls played right now) ... so sometimes when it goes in holes you lose the ball?? right now > I just launch it back to top ... the LOCK coil doesn't seem to do anything ..? ... isn't that suppose to be active most of time? the 1 to 4 units seemed to advance for a minute ... but now have to be manual turned (lights on PF do advance) ... the bigger coils on the steppers seem to be engaged all the time (and plunger getting warm) ... that doesn't seem right ???? also > SHIT > I forgot .... soooo many questions ... oh yeah > the start button > usually when I push it > it just makes a buzzing sound in cabinet ??? What's up with that ? .... Thanks for listening ... and any advice you have !! Going to watch Olympics now ... P.S. That game smells so good ... whatever the name for the smell that happens with all those contacts firing !

#17 6 years ago

DANG > one more thing ... Backglass would be almost impossible to mask out and airbrush the bad parts (mostly background color ... dark blue) ... think I will have to hand paint ... with acrylic?? .. any suggestions? ... ForceFlow .. like I said > game isn't perfect ... would be happy with a decent BG ...

#18 6 years ago

I was going to ask if you may possibly be interested in trading, but then after
seeing S.T.G., I'm thinking little to no chance.. (T)

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I was going to ask if you may possibly be interested in trading, but then after
seeing S.T.G., I'm thinking little to no chance.. (T)

S.T.G. ??

#20 6 years ago

Oh... I type with only two fingers so I went short hand.
S.T.G. = SpaceTimeGuy..

#21 6 years ago

DANG > one more thing ... Backglass would be almost impossible to mask out and airbrush the bad parts (mostly background color ... dark blue) ... think I will have to hand paint ... with acrylic?? .. any suggestions? ... forceflow .. like I said > game isn't perfect ... would be happy with a decent BG ...

You'd want to scrape off the loose ink and seal it first. Hand painting with acrylic would look fine in the opaque (unlit) areas, but you would need to cover the painted areas afterwards with a totally opaque layer of black or silver to shut out any stray light. Match whatever color is used on the rest of the back of the glass.
A tip when using acrylic paint; it gets a little darker when it's dry. After blending the paint colors, try a small amount first on the front side of the glass, adjacent to the color you're trying to match. Let it dry, and see what adjustments if any, you need to make. The dried paint can be easily removed afterward with a razor blade.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Oh... I type with only two fingers so I went short hand.
S.T.G. = SpaceTimeGuy..

So, trade him another space themed game. I know of one in particular...

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

So, trade him another space themed game. I know of one in particular...

You had me thinking for awhile, then of coarse, the Star Jet.
Need to hang on S.J. and even the Friendship "7"
I'm not sure if I have others. Have to think on that.
I'm not thinking Dimension being a space theme..

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

No, none of those...

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

After blending the paint colors, try a small amount first on the front side of the glass, adjacent to the color you're trying to match. Let it dry, and see what adjustments if any, you need to make. The dried paint can be easily removed afterward with a razor blade.

GREAT TIP !!! THANK YOU !

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Star Jet looks cool .. I never saw that pin before ... will have to add to my Wishlist ... which is big .. LOL

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

No, none of those...

So I must have posted a pic of another space theme pin?
It's different when you're guessing your own pin.....
It's not coming to me (?). I'll give it more thought..

#28 6 years ago

Update > so my friend Jim came over and we got Space Ship into my basement (from garage) ... soldered on a new power cable (instead of extension cord patched to a plug from some Christmas lights) ... seems like new cord made a difference .. ? ... game reset for the first time ... Advance bonus lights working intermittently, and BG lights came back on for a couple seconds ... not sure how much of this is related to new power cord or is just coincidence ...? ... but the game is trying to work !! Also > I figured out only wire that looks out of place, wasn't spliced, it came unsoldered from a coil ... so will fix that soon and see what difference that makes !

#29 6 years ago

Update > so my friend Jim came over and we got Space Ship into my basement (from garage) ... soldered on a new power cable (instead of extension cord patched to a plug from some Christmas lights) ... seems like new cord made a difference .. ? ... game reset for the first time ... Advance bonus lights working intermittently, and BG lights came back on for a couple seconds ... not sure how much of this is related to new power cord or is just coincidence ...? ... but the game is trying to work !! Also > I figured out only wire that looks out of place, wasn't spliced, it came unsoldered from a coil ... so will fix that soon and see what difference that makes !

A new power cord is a good thing, but it wouldn't make a difference in any game function. EMs very often start "healing" themselves as they're played.
This is especially true of games that were in working condition, and then were left sitting dormant for a long time. As switch contacts make and break, wiping action between the contact points will begin to clean them,
and switches that may have been a bit too dirty to make contact, begin to function. I've seen this happen many times.
Don't rely on this alone to resurrect your game, however. You should still manually clean as many switch points as you can and adjust them as needed.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

So I must have posted a pic of another space theme pin?
It's different when you're guessing your own pin.....
It's not coming to me (?). I'll give it more thought..

This is a sure sign that you have too many!

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

A new power cord is a good thing, but it wouldn't make a difference in any game function. EMs very often start "healing" themselves as they're played.
This is especially true of games that were in working condition, and then were left sitting dormant for a long time. As switch contacts make and break, wiping action between the contact points will begin to clean them,
and switches that may have been a bit too dirty to make contact, begin to function. I've seen this happen many times.
Don't rely on this alone to resurrect your game, however. You should still manually clean as many switch points as you can and adjust them as needed.

I agree, that combined with the fact that the jones plugs were probably reseated. That may have helped also. Same deal, a little friction from plugging and unplugging may clean off enough oxidation to make a difference.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

fact that the jones plugs were probably reseated.

Yes, good point.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

You should still manually clean as many switch points as you can and adjust them as needed.

Yup, and not to forget to first make sure the switch stack screws are tighten.
I found some machines that the bakelite (or whatever they may be called)
insulators in between the switches had barely shrunk, but others that many had,
thus many switch stack screws being loose..

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

This is a sure sign that you have too many!

Yes you're right, and my thinking was that it'll be nice to have that type of trading
power, but once you're a little older, you realize it can maybe start being a problem
and have to start moving some out before long which I plan on doing this year starting
first on working on the ball bowlers which I have many. If those aren't working, it's
very limited who wants them..
But not remembering some machines that I have isn't what has me wondering, but
what is, if you know I have one, why am I not thinking of it?

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Yes you're right, and my thinking was that it'll be nice to have that type of trading
power, but once you're a little older, you realize it can maybe start being a problem
and have to start moving some out before long which I plan on doing this year starting
first on working on the ball bowlers which I have many. If those aren't working, it's
very limited who wants them..
But not remembering some machines that I have isn't what has me wondering, but
what is, if you know I have one, why am I not thinking of it?

You're not a woodrail guy, so that's why you're not thinking of it.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Yup, and not to forget to first make sure the switch stack screws are tighten.

Double ditto. This is very important and very often overlooked.

#37 6 years ago

I just picked this up today ... Back Glass is pretty bad (see there is a repo on Ebay) ... Cabinet has been painted over and had some cat crap on it ... anyone have a Space Ship cabinet ? (cheap or reasonable... prefer cheap ..LOL) ... I'm in Cleveland, OH but would drive 3 to 6 hours for decent one ... or I could repaint ... Cleaned game up a little and plugged it in .... it works !! kind of ... lights for scoring not changing ... will check fuses and do some cleaning ... will probably need some expert help from you all .... I LOVE the SPACE THEME pins !!!

I do also! Still looking for my Orbit pin from 1971. Do those old ones have a play counter too? Just wondering if the count was over 100,000.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

You're not a woodrail guy, so that's why you're not thinking of it.

Now that's a give away clue, yet still took a half a minute to get.
If the Spaceship was in Rochetship's condition, and no shipping involved, there's
a good chance that I would do that. I don't have any light scoring pins set
up, but there's just something about Spaceship that interest me ever since I first
laid eyes on one. I do like it's looks, but maybe being a metal rail, yet light scoring??
Not really sure, but wouldn't mind one..

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I do also! Still looking for my Orbit pin from 1971. Do those old ones have a play counter too? Just wondering if the count was over 100,000.

Orbit cool artwork ... there was one on Pinside a couple weeks ago but the guy never posted pics and never got back to me ... think ad is down now ... was near Detroit ... Yes > Space Ship has play counter ... says 173 ... must have rolled over or died on first day in action.

#40 6 years ago

Mopar jrpinball > Rocket Ship ... You guys are killing me! ... I get a new pin to mark off my Wishlist and now I have another I have to add ... LOL ...

UPDATE > so tonight I ordered schematic and some parts from Steve at Pinball Resource (WOW .. .that guy knows his stuff) ... Scotch Brite padded contacts on some steppers and Jones plugs in head ... used Naptha on plunger ... put couple new springs on steppers that control the Advance bonus ... and PLAYED IT FOR A WHILE !!! It's really fun for an early pin !! the latch that raises and lowers to let the balls out started working > so now the Gobble holes aren't so neat ... LOL ... the Advance Bonus lights in lower PF now working .. the lights in the head, came on for a couple seconds a few times ... and then BAM > on all the time !! seems to be scoring correctly .. also > figured out the wires that were unsoldered from the coil were probably unsoldered on purpose as it was the TILT RELAY and there is a "kick off switch" in bottom of cabinet that metal pin was stuck on the leaf switch (I'm assuming this is a TILT mechanism) ...

THANK you guys for input!! I will have to check the screws on switch stacks ... PinRepair.com for articles on fixing EM machines, and Steve @ Pinball Resource!! my buddy Pinball Jim jimpin1967 ... and Dennis for calling me about selling this awesome pinball ! I will attach a couple photos ...

IMG_0246 (resized).JPGIMG_0246 (resized).JPG
IMG_0248 (resized).JPGIMG_0248 (resized).JPG

#41 6 years ago

Space Ship has really great artwork, right in my wheelhouse. I would love to find one some day. Put it right next to Star-Jet! Then maybe a Sky Raider...?

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from aahgo:

Space Ship has really great artwork, right in my wheelhouse. I would love to find one some day. Put it right next to Star-Jet! Then maybe a Sky Raider...?

Sky Raider ... ? ... Haven't seen that one ... will check it out !

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I don't have any light scoring pins set
up, but there's just something about Spaceship that interest me ever since I first
laid eyes on one. I do like it's looks, but maybe being a metal rail, yet light scoring??

Yes. Very odd that Williams was among the first to use score reels on their pins, going well back into the woodrail era, then extended light-up scoring well into the metal rail era. "Space Ship" was the very last pin to use backglass lighting to keep track of the total score. Obviously, later games used lights to indicate scores beyond the range of their score reels, but all EMs had score reels after "Space Ship" with a few esoteric exceptions.

#44 6 years ago

From IPDB: Army Navy / IPD No. 91 / October 02, 1953 / 1 Player
'Army Navy' is the first game from this manufacturer to use score reel totalizers, replacing lights in the backbox as the way to indicate the player's total earned score. An earlier game with totalizers in the backbox is Shyvers (Chicago)'s 1936 'Round 'n' Round'. The first pinball machine with totalizers is Bally's 1933 'Airway'.

#45 6 years ago

Sky Raider ... ? ... Haven't seen that one ... will check it out !

I think the "Sky Raider" he's talking about isn't a pin. It's a space themed shooting game.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

"Space Ship" was the very last pin to use backglass lighting to keep track of the total score.

That makes it even more desirable, to me anyway.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

That makes it even more desirable, to me anyway.

I didn't know that .... WOW ... Very Cool ... !!

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Yes. Very odd that Williams was among the first to use score reels on their pins, going well back into the woodrail era, then extended light-up scoring well into the metal rail era. "Space Ship" was the very last pin to use backglass lighting to keep track of the total score.

WOW ... Interesting ... I didn't know that !

#49 6 years ago

My order from Pinball Resources arrived yesterday ! (That's FAST ... Called Friday afternoon ... and it shows up on Tuesday .. and Monday was a holiday)... Got schematic, new leg levelers, leg bolts, 2 coils, all new rubbers, and a large bell that was missing in back of head. This weekend I cleaned light bulb sockets and a bunch more contacts ... think everything working except the metal "gate" that lifts up to let the ball thru at start of new game (it doesn't go back down ... think there is suppose to be a spring on it??) Today I will work on PF ... clean, polish, and the new rubbers.

Also, did a prototype for new cabinet artwork (cut it out of colored poster board) ... I posted photos in "Restoration Questions" ... check it out and let me know if you like the original graphics or my version ....

IMG_0453 (resized).JPGIMG_0453 (resized).JPG

#50 6 years ago

Here's my prototype design for painting cabinet ... IF you want to VOTE for it OR the original design > I started a separate thread in "RESTORATION QUESTIONS".

IMG_0449 (resized).JPGIMG_0449 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-today-1961-space-ship-need-a-cabinet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.